First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I’d like to hear about Any vehicle who’s sheet metal fender can stand up to rock contact.
WOW! That's what you got from my post? How about 'Yep, those aluminum fenders are really easy to dent'.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
WOW! That's what you got from my post? How about 'Yep, those aluminum fenders are really easy to dent'.
How about because thats not a true statement.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Pretty sure my fender is aluminum - I tested it with a magnet. It's a 2021 model. No cracks in the paint, but I will have to talk to a body shop for sure. The bird I hit was definitely the size of a large duck or falcon.
I just tested my 2021 (9/21) and they are steel...

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
So much for that High Strength Military Grade Aluminum that Ford touted a few years back when the F150 went full body as is our Rangers now.
Hopefully you can get it worked out for not to much.
Ford’s f150 aluminum panels are durable enough. I was in a couple major hail storms in Texas in which neighbors’ cars/trucks near me were dented to shit with little popcorn indentations, yet I didn’t get any dents.

Also, I see 2015 F150’s near me where I live now with zero rust or corrosion, yet 2014’s are showing major rust around the fender and door areas.

I’ll take the weight savings and corrosion resistance over steel any day.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
With that logic conversely applied it doesn't make you correct either.
Very true. I have researched it extensively, have you?

It’s actually an incredibly complex discussion.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
Very true. I have researched it extensively, have you?

It’s actually an incredibly complex discussion.
I am not talking about cab intrusion or structural damage, I was pointing out the size and extent of the fender dent from a bird strike. At the end of the day it is still just aluminum, and dents easily.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am not talking about cab intrusion or structural damage, I was pointing out the size and extent of the fender dent from a bird strike. At the end of the day it is still just aluminum, and dents easily.
That’s what I’m trying to get through to you. Aluminum panels Do Not dent more easily than the Extremly thin UHSS panels used these days. The Exact same event would have done the same damage to a steel fender period.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
That’s what I’m trying to get through to you. Aluminum panels Do Not dent more easily than the Extremly thin UHSS panels used these days. The Exact same event would have done the same damage to a steel fender period.
It sounds like somebody with a steel fender needs to go bird hunting to find out for sure , I passed the magnet test so I volunteer ?
come-to-me-dr-evil.gif

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Thoughts on PDR of aluminum panels vs steel?

Was my bodyshop correct in their explanation that stretching and lack of memory makes it more difficult?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts on PDR of aluminum panels vs steel?

Was my bodyshop correct in their explanation that stretching and lack of memory makes it more difficult?
Absolutely they are correct. I’m kinda surprised they body worked it for you, even though they didn’t have far to go. Alum body work requires a dedicated and socialized set of body tools and new techniques. No cross use with body tools used on steel on account of steel particles being embedded into the alum.

Almost no other benifits to alum body panels except weight savings and some small dent resistance.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Absolutely they are correct. I’m kinda surprised they body worked it for you, even though they didn’t have far to go. Alum body work requires a dedicated and socialized set of body tools and new techniques. No cross use with body tools used on steel on account of steel particles being embedded into the alum.

Almost no other benifits to alum body panels except weight savings and some small dent resistance.
Good to know.

I've got a pretty well calibrated bullshit meter but it never hurts to verify.

Never thought of the cross contamination factor. That makes absolute sense though.
Sponsored