Roush Stage 1 Performance Pac

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just had the Roush Level 1 Performance Pac installed. They truck is night and day. I coupled the performance pac with the SPD Downpipe and SPD Axle Dump Exhaust. You can feel a complete transformation of power. I can easily spin the wheels from a stand point...and they are 35's. All in all, the quality is there.

Bonus, ZERO lights, no check engine light at all. Easy installation.

Intake 2.jpg

Intake.jpg
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How is the sound of the spd exhaust going down the hwy?

OP
OP

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
How is the sound of the spd exhaust going down the hwy?
if you are giving it gas, then it is loud. Just know, I have the DP and the exhaust. The DP adds a ton of noise level. When you are off the gas pedal, it is silent. You really hear the turbo spool up with the CAI and DP together. I love the noise.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
if you are giving it gas, then it is loud. Just know, I have the DP and the exhaust. The DP adds a ton of noise level. When you are off the gas pedal, it is silent. You really hear the turbo spool up with the CAI and DP together. I love the noise.
Good to know. Any idea if the muffler is chambered or strait through?

Fish

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red, 1993 F-150 XLT
Occupation
HVACR
Vehicle Showcase
A couple things 2 consider b4 going with Roush Tune which I thought about after the fact. I have had the Roush CAI & Tune and in some aspects still have some of their tune. As far as the CAI, I love it. As for the Tune, if I would have known then what I know now, I would not have went with Roush.
1st item of concern is before taking ur vehicle to ford dealership to flash tune, use an nGuage or another programmer and save the ford factory tune. Roush nor the Ford dealership will save a back-up of ur stock tune so if u don't save a copy, after they flash with the Roush tune, the stock file will be gone. If u do any towing, u also may want 2 check 2 see if Roush recommends towing with their tune. Most programmers recommend a towing tune, not sure about Roush but u will only have that 1 tune.
2nd item, I had a problem with 1 area of the Roush Tune. If I was in 2 wheel drive and also used Trail Speed Control, an Error Code was thrown which deactivated trail control and put the truck into limp mode. Luckily I had an nGuage because I was at my camp, 60 miles from home, and with the nGuage I was able to clear fault. I contacted Roush supplied numerous info of all conditions, multiple times and they then wanted me to take to a Ford Dealership so they could work with the tech to find cause of problem or have Ford Dealer return to stock tune. I decided instead, since I have no control over any tune variations with Roush and I suspected this was going to be a long and drawn out process tying up the use of my truck in that process, to rather have a tune done that I could control. I went to Unleashed and had Torrie do a couple tunes for me which turned out Great with 1 issue I didn't have the stock factory tune to give to Torrie so he could start his tunes. All I had was the Roush Tune. So I had to give him that and the result of what Torrie did was fabulous. His tunes had better driveability, better performance then the Roush and I had him make some personal preference changes that worked out great instead of getting the Roush packaged tune. The problem came when I found out the Roush Tune problem followed along because of Torrie having 2 use that Roush Tune in starting his programming and again I have no access to the Ford Stock Tune.
I figured, well, I will take the truck back to Ford Dealer that loaded Roush Tune, have them work with Roush if needed and pay them to load the factory tune back into the truck, give that 2 Torrie and start from scratch with Torrie's tune and then I hit the BIG Problem. Ford dealer had little success with Roush working with them so I started communicating with Roush. With much communicating with dealer and Roush, Roush washed their hands of it and put everything back onto the dealer saying I shouldn't have modified their tune and said the dealer will have to contact the factory for support to load tune. It has now been like 3 or 4 months, taking my truck to the dealer as they have made multi attempts to return truck to factory tune with no success. Latest is dealer found out that Ford used the 2019 Ranger as first vehicle out, using what I understand to be a new programming format and this could be creating the extra problems in reformatting the truck computer, even when trying to force the download, that is causing the reformatting process to fail. And the dealer has tried everything they could think of. They said if this would be the format ford has been using, we would have this completed in 20 min.
So I am currently on hold, waiting for the dealer to contact Ford Engineering and waiting for Engineering to resolve the problem. After thought, I should have just started with Unleashed Tuning and not installed Roush Tune.
I have 2 problem areas, if I use Trail Speed Control a code is thrown and I have no factory tune. But I am enjoying Torrie's Unleashed Tune. The truck has a lot of get up and rip!
Just some food for thought if u r thinking about going with the Roush Tune.
I'm not sure if u loose having the stock tune with the Ford Performance Tune or not.
I hope this is a help to others looking to go down this path.

Last edited:
OP
OP

dannewps

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
A couple things 2 consider b4 going with Roush Tune which I thought about after the fact. I have had the Roush CAI & Tune and in some aspects still have some of their tune. As far as the CAI, I love it. As for the Tune, if I would have known then what I know now, I would not have went with Roush.
1st item of concern is before taking ur vehicle to ford dealership to flash tune, use an nGuage or another programmer and save the ford factory tune. Roush nor the Ford dealership will save a back-up of ur stock tune so if u don't save a copy, after they flash with the Roush tune, the stock file will be gone. If u do any towing, u also may want 2 check 2 see if Roush recommends towing with their tune. Most programmers recommend a towing tune, not sure about Roush but u will only have that 1 tune.
2nd item, I had a problem with 1 area of the Roush Tune. If I was in 2 wheel drive and also used Trail Speed Control, an Error Code was thrown which deactivated trail control and put the truck into limp mode. Luckily I had an nGuage because I was at my camp, 60 miles from home, and with the nGuage I was able to clear fault. I contacted Roush supplied numerous info of all conditions, multiple times and they then wanted me to take to a Ford Dealership so they could work with the tech to find cause of problem or have Ford Dealer return to stock tune. I decided instead, since I have no control over any tune variations with Roush and I suspected this was going to be a long and drawn out process tying up the use of my truck in that process, to rather have a tune done that I could control. I went to Unleashed and had Torrie do a couple tunes for me which turned out Great with 1 issue I didn't have the stock factory tune to give to Torrie so he could start his tunes. All I had was the Roush Tune. So I had to give him that and the result of what Torrie did was fabulous. His tunes had better driveability, better performance then the Roush and I had him make some personal preference changes that worked out great instead of getting the Roush packaged tune. The problem came when I found out the Roush Tune problem followed along because of Torrie having 2 use that Roush Tune in starting his programming and again I have no access to the Ford Stock Tune.
I figured, well, I will take the truck back to Ford Dealer that loaded Roush Tune, have them work with Roush if needed and pay them to load the factory tune back into the truck, give that 2 Torrie and start from scratch with Torrie's tune and then I hit the BIG Problem. Ford dealer had little success with Roush working with them so I started communicating with Roush. With much communicating with dealer and Roush, Roush washed their hands of it and put everything back onto the dealer saying I shouldn't have modified their tune and said the dealer will have to contact the factory for support to load tune. It has now been like 3 or 4 months, taking my truck to the dealer as they have made multi attempts to return truck to factory tune with no success. Latest is dealer found out that Ford used the 2019 Ranger as first vehicle out, using what I understand to be a new programming format and this could be creating the extra problems in reformatting the truck computer, even when trying to force the download, that is causing the reformatting process to fail. And the dealer has tried everything they could think of. They said if this would be the format ford has been using, we would have this completed in 20 min.
So I am currently on hold, waiting for the dealer to contact Ford Engineering and waiting for Engineering to resolve the problem. After thought, I should have just started with Unleashed Tuning and not installed Roush Tune.
I have 2 problem areas, if I use Trail Speed Control a code is thrown and I have no factory tune. But I am enjoying Torrie's Unleashed Tune. The truck has a lot of get up and rip!
I'm not sure if u loose having the stock tune with the Ford Performance Tune or not.
I am glad that I never tow anything, and that I do not have trail control! I guess it works for me! haha :clap:

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
The Ford Performance tune and the Livernois Motorsports tune both save a copy of the factory stock tune. Both in the tool and on their servers. You are free to switch back and forth anytime you like.
I think that Roush not doing the same is really unprofessional and a really big reason to NOT do business with them. At least until they have a way to save the stock tune. I am sorry you are going through this because of them.
Thank you for posting this.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
So now we can’t tow unless we have a tow specific tune? Makes no sense.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
So basically just get the stage 1 Roush CAI without Roush Tune *noted*
Was planning on getting the 5star tune after the bolt ons either way but thanks @Fish

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So basically just get the stage 1 Roush CAI without Roush Tune *noted*
Was planning on getting the 5star tune after the bolt ons either way but thanks @Fish
Just be aware, if the roads out there in Hawaii go very high in elevation you might want to steer clear of 5 Star Tuning. Out here in Colorado when it is already been proven fact that people with Five Star Tuning run into an underboost condition and low power because they don't tune it for the high elevation. For some reason five star doesn't make their software adapt like it should especially with the new vehicles. In my opinion and suggestion to you is to run with Livernois or someone else.

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
@Frenchy yeah I was just reading up on this. Seems like unleashed, livernois, or ford performance tune would be the more "logical choice" but none without their cons. 5star tuning had elevation option on their website last I checked, idk maybe I'm seeing things lol.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Frenchy yeah I was just reading up on this. Seems like unleashed, livernois, or ford performance tune would be the more "logical choice" but none without their cons. 5star tuning had elevation option on their website last I checked, idk maybe I'm seeing things lol.
I couldn't say for sure about the elevation on their website. If anything I went with Livernois and I run their tow tune. I haven't had any problems with it up here in the Colorado Rockies and I have run down too much lower elevations in Arizona already and still haven't had an issue

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
So now we can’t tow unless we have a tow specific tune? Makes no sense.
Most recommend against towing (presumably larger loads) with the performance tune. They are biased toward HP and may not be the best performing map for high-torque needs

Perfectly OK to tow with the stock tune

Livernois includes a "tow tune" in their package, if you're so inclined

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
@Frenchy you running the roush cai with that? I'm just trying to compensate as much as possible before I actually lift it
Sponsored