First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the Rough Country 2.5in spacers installed currently. I also have Rough Country 2.5in coil overs in my garage.(Dealer installed the spacers when They were supposed to install the struts I provided) Is it worth installing them over the current spacers for general daily driving and only off-roading while hunting? My truck is a 2020 FX4. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Even though rough country was not my choice of suspension I can tell you right now those coilovers will most likely ride better compared to the spacers. What you should have done is not take the spacers with you so you wouldn't have the problem. I would also go back to the same dealership and tell them that they are swapping those out for free for you since they didn't listen to you the first time.

OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Agreed,. Rough Country isn’t my go to usually. But I figured these Struts would be better than spacers to get rid of the rake. What happened is I dropped the truck off at the dealership to have the struts installed on Monday. When I picked the truck up that evening I was looking at it and noticed the front struts weren’t on it and they were still in my truck. Long story short the tech read the work order that said install RC 2.5in leveling kit and went to the parts counter and got a spacer kit and installed it. The Service Advisor was super nice and went ahead and scheduled for it all to be corrected. In Feb. I’m happy with the current ride with the spacers.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I would like to see some reviews of the rough country coil set up. I don't off road just want to improve the routine ride if possible and it would be nice to do it for half the cost of the fox 2.0's

OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Langwilliams, I am in the same situation. I searched on the forum with little results. I will update with my experience after the install. Hopefully more will post on this thread like VegasRanger did. His response gives me more confidence in using them.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I went with RC rear shocks as they where cheaper and in stock at the time. And I HAD to get rid if the FX4 shocks!
Thinking a full set of Boosting but maybe should consider just getting RC front coil overs

Last edited:
OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I have the RC 2.5 struts and they been holding up fine. Done some off roading as well and no issues.
I went with RC rear shocks as they where cheaper and in stock at the time. And I HAD to get ride if the FX4 shocks!
Thinking a full set of Boosting but maybe should consider just getting RC front coil overs
I know what you mean about the FX4 shocks. The nose dove when braking and bouncing on pot holes drives me crazy. I was thinking about the RC rear shocks as well. For the limited off roading I do spending a lot of money didn’t make sense. I have a K5 Blazer for when I go in the rough stuff. Vegas Ranger seems happy with front struts which is good. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I finally had the Rough Country 2.5in leveled struts installed yesterday. So far I like them a lot more than the 2.5in spacers with the FX4 stock suspension. It has a lot less nosedive and absorbs bumps on the road better. The drive feels smoother overall. So far I would recommend them. I will post an update in a month or so.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I think the RC items are under represented by this community. I agree that they make some less that acceptable quality items, or did at some point. I have a few RC items on my truck (Front D rings, rear shocks, and more) And they've all been above average quality. My rear shocks are 1.5-3.0 inches of rear lift. Which I went with because I have the Add-a-leaf. And I'm absolutely not scared to take them to Moab this summer. I have zero concerns that any of my RC equipment will fail me. I have a tendency to overspend on projects, So I am taking a different approach with the Ranger. I would of liked the OME kit, but for hundreds less I get a really nice 3" Eibach lift for the front and a 1.5"-ish lift in the rear with the Add-a-leaf, Icon bump stops, and RC shocks. I am going to use the money saved to take my family to experience things, in the truck! A thousand saved is a 4+ day trip through to Colorado or Utah for us! For me, minimalist is the way to go, I dont think my opinion will be popular lol, but its my $0.02!

Edit: I did fit a Damper into my budget!

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I think the RC items are under represented by this community. I agree that they make some less that acceptable quality items, or did at some point. I have a few RC items on my truck (Front D rings, rear shocks, and more) And they've all been above average quality. My rear shocks are 1.5-3.0 inches of rear lift. Which I went with because I have the Add-a-leaf. And I'm absolutely not scared to take them to Moab this summer. I have zero concerns that any of my RC equipment will fail me. I have a tendency to overspend on projects, So I am taking a different approach with the Ranger. I would of liked the OME kit, but for hundreds less I get a really nice 3" Eibach lift for the front and a 1.5"-ish lift in the rear with the Add-a-leaf, Icon bump stops, and RC shocks. I am going to use the money saved to take my family to experience things, in the truck! A thousand saved is a 4+ day trip through to Colorado or Utah for us! For me, minimalist is the way to go, I dont think my opinion will be popular lol, but its my $0.02!

Moab is on my short list!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

The only problem with that combination you mention is the question of how well are the parts going to work together? I say this because Old Man EMU has thier parts designed to work together vs a kit you make with different parts. As an example others on here have selected Deaver springs for thier truck and run different shocks(kings, Fox, icon) and even though they may be a good selection its best if the shocks are truly tuned to the springs(I think the kings can be set that way before install but not positive).

Does that mean your thought of a combination wouldnt work? Not necessarily but since its not matched it may not work the way you want.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
The only problem with that combination you mention is the question of how well are the parts going to work together? I say this because Old Man EMU has thier parts designed to work together vs a kit you make with different parts. As an example others on here have selected Deaver springs for thier truck and run different shocks(kings, Fox, icon) and even though they may be a good selection its best if the shocks are truly tuned to the springs(I think the kings can be set that way before install but not positive).

Does that mean your thought of a combination wouldnt work? Not necessarily but since its not matched it may not work the way you want.
We will see when I take it to Moab! I was going to buy the OME kit because of your posts. But in the end decided against it for slightly more lift, for much less money. I am certain the OME kit is top notch. But, I am willing to mix it up a bit!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Thanks for the update. Nice to hear they ride well. The only concern IMO is how well they hold up. But you never know...I've seen a few posts of the front Eibach's blowing out.

OP
OP
Burnt Money

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I finally had the Rough Country 2.5in leveled struts installed yesterday. So far I like them a lot more than the 2.5in spacers with the FX4 stock suspension. It has a lot less nosedive and absorbs bumps on the road better. The drive feels smoother overall. So far I would recommend them. I will post an update in a month or so.
As a short update. After 2 months with the Rough Country leveled struts I am still happy with them. I have driven down recently made “roads” where tracts of land were being cleared with large ruts mud holes and similar types of terrain with no issues. Living at 30ft above sea level doesn’t allow for a lot of varying terrain types. Hopefully this helps anyone who is considering this upgrade.
Sponsored