Fox 2.5 coil overs with reservoir

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I was debating the same thing... I thought I wanted the adjustable damping of the 2.5", but after speaking to multiple people that were part of the development process (Fox, SVC, BDS, even BFGoodrich!) and hearing their endless praise for the 2.0 I ended up going that route.

If I were crashing through the desert I wouldn't have hesitated pulling the trigger on the 2.5's, but I'm just railing seasonal roads in Northern MI so I'll keep it modest!

-Tom

OP
OP
CVCA91911

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
I was debating the same thing... I thought I wanted the adjustable damping of the 2.5", but after speaking to multiple people that were part of the development process (Fox, SVC, BDS, even BFGoodrich!) and hearing their endless praise for the 2.0 I ended up going that route.

If I were crashing through the desert I wouldn't have hesitated pulling the trigger on the 2.5's, but I'm just railing seasonal roads in Northern MI so I'll keep it modest!

-Tom
I'm leaning toward the Fox 2.0 because my truck is my daily commuter to work. I'm hitting the mountain trail a few times a month, not doing any baja desert racing.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It all depends on what you would like. If you watch the review of the 2.0 on the Ranger from Stage 3 it may give you the info you would like. Also something to consider is clearance. With both 2.0 and 2.5 Fox kits you are only going to level the truck and therefore the rear is goint to slightly loose clearance(around the bumper). I myself chose the Old Man EMU kit by ARB. It brings the front up by 2.4 and the rear by 1.5 and handles both on road and off road well. Either way it is your choice on what you do. If you dont think clearance will be an issue then go with the 2.0. That's my take on this.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
2.0 here and very happy.

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I will add that not all Fox 2.0" shocks are the same. The Ford, SVC, and BDS kits all carry different part numbers. This would indicate different shims in the valve stack to tailor the ride to a specific market. I spoke with John at Impulse Off Road about this awhile back. He steered me toward BDS after seeing the rigorous testing and development work they do, so I ordered the BDS part numbers through Impulse.

My recommendation would be to speak with a reputable dealer / tuner who understands the type of needs you have. The Fox 2.0" shocks are rebuildable and serviceable, so a competent tuner could also modify the shim stacks when they service the shock down the road.

-Tom

OP
OP
CVCA91911

CVCA91911

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Maintenance Mechanic
I will add that not all Fox 2.0" shocks are the same. The Ford, SVC, and BDS kits all carry different part numbers. This would indicate different shims in the valve stack to tailor the ride to a specific market. I spoke with John at Impulse Off Road about this awhile back. He steered me toward BDS after seeing the rigorous testing and development work they do, so I ordered the BDS part numbers through Impulse.

My recommendation would be to speak with a reputable dealer / tuner who understands the type of needs you have. The Fox 2.0" shocks are rebuildable and serviceable, so a competent tuner could also modify the shim stacks when they service the shock down the road.

-Tom
Thanks for the advice.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Fox 2.5 fronts on order, will go 2.0 in the rear. Will report back whenever I can get them installed.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

Aragorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Crew Cab

-Tom
Do you recall what all was said about the differences in Fox shocks from Ford, BDS, and Fox directly?

IL8APEX

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Do you recall what all was said about the differences in Fox shocks from Ford, BDS, and Fox directly?
No one is going to give away their trade secrets, but a different SKU for the same fitment would usually indicate that the shim stacks on the piston are tailored to provide different damping curves. It could mean different pistons as well, but that's unlikely at this price point.

Actually, maybe they will give away their trade secrets. The people in this industry are incredibly open and supportive of one another. They're all just people running around having fun off road! Call BDS or Fox and ask, I'm sure they'd provide an answer.

-Tom
Sponsored