First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Black Scab XLT FX4, 06 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Auto mechanic, retired
So which all-terrain tire throws the least amount of rocks in your experience? I want to replace the stock Kooks on my 22 FX4 with winter-rated AT's. I have a set of Cooper AT3 on my other truck and they do not pick up stones but want to try another brand. My daughter has BFG K02 on her 98 XJ and they do toss a lot of rocks she says.
Sponsored

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Lots of variables there. Driving on pea gravel will throw a lot of rocks regardless of tire. I would think the smaller the tread the fewer rocks it picks up. more aggressive tread may pick up more and also clear themselves of mud and rocks easier by throwing them. I've heard good things in general about Wildpeaks though.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
depends on the size of gravel. this is just general statement - most good off road tires have a fair amount of voids in the tread blocks. those voids are great for off road driving but are where the gravel pickup and launching happens lol. so its kinda tough to get a good in between. bfg makes an a/t tire that is less off road and more dirt gravel road friendly that may fit the bill for you. they pick up less rocks than the more aggressive ko2 and km2 km3. supposedly it is more winter ready than the coopers... but I have not tried them so cannot say past what the claims and reviews are.
1656035514115.png

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/tires/trail-terrain-t-a

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I can tell you that the general grabber ATX tires that come on the Tremor throw rocks like a crowd of kids at a fresh rock pile. So you can cross them off the list.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Drag radials do not pick up rocks. They actually melt into the tire!

On a serious note nitto terra grapplers and dura grapplers are great. Terra is ok off road as long as it's not mud. Dura grapplers are good for gravel at best.

Toyo mud terrains are quite, and wear well and the voids are too big to grab rocks.

Goodyear with kevlar are typically pretty good too. They air down really well, meaning the sidewall is really tough to puncture.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No problems with rocks at all with my KO2's...

Tread on Tires.png
Paul, I had the KO'2s on my Jeep and didn't have any problems either. On my Ranger I have Nitto Ridge Grapplers and don't have any with them. I don't have mud guards either.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Am I correct in thinking that a tire with wider spaces between the lugs is less likely to sling rocks as the small rocks and pebbles don't get stuck between the lugs?

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I concur with Jason, do not get General Grabber ATX tires if you are worried about throwing rocks. My Rokblocks have gotten a workout since I put the Bronco takeoffs on.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think they all throw rocks. What rocks your tires throw seem to be a function of the tread pattern dimensions and the dimensions of the rocks you happen to be driving on that day.

I think the wider the blocks in the tread, the bigger the rocks you will be sending down range. In my experience, bigger rocks tend to be more noticeable when they hit something.

Nothing beats keeping the wheels and tires inside the fender lips and having good mud flaps. :)

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i have ko2s also and im pretty happy with them. only remember really throwing one rock. it stayed wedged in the tire tread until i was back on the free way. flung out at a good clip and must have bounced off the road and back up into the underside of the truck. heard it ding something metal.

UncleWillie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ranger XLT Tremor
I can tell you that the general grabber ATX tires that come on the Tremor throw rocks like a crowd of kids at a fresh rock pile. So you can cross them off the list.
This. I have had BFG AT on all my vehicles since highschool. I thought the KO2 were bad at rocks until I got the Tremor. The General Grabber ATX are far worse.

From my experiences, the GG ATX constantly pick up and sling rocks whilst going down gravel or dirt roads. Conversely, the BFG KO2 don't constantly sling rocks, but they just wait till you hit the pavement at 55 mph and then blast them out of the tread at lightspeed.
Sponsored