First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Ranger's 2.3L is "de-tuned" to pass Ford's tougher durability requirements for truck engines. They are more stressful fatigue tests (due to expected duty cycles while towing/hauling... a truck spends much more time at peak torque or power vs. something like an RS.) Think climbing up to Eisenhower tunnel at 70mph with a 7500lb trailer.

If you tune your truck you're writing off Ford's durability assessment. Sure it'll make good power on the dyno under ideal conditions on a nice tank of 93, but don't expect them to foot the bill when something goes wrong otherwise.
This thread is very interesting and I’m thankful we have you and Phil providing your experience and knowledge. The same goes for other factory engineers that I haven’t stumbled upon yet.

I had a low speed stumble when new and that has been improved by the tranny TSB reset.
I can still vaguely feel a “lean spot” or stall around 1500rpm, it’s better but it’s not as smooth as I would like. MPG is consistent 21 in town.

At 7k miles now I usually mix or swap up using 87 with 93 octane and I can’t help but think that a tune would make a huge difference in smoothness and fuel delivery.

So, that has me thinking of a tune until I read this thread.
Cannot a tuner “clean up” the fuel mapping without risking reliability? Isn’t the reliability more dependent on the driver?
For someone not interested in 1/4 mile times but rather fuel mileage and smoothness what is the answer? What could be improved upon?
Without a CEL the dealer won’t touch.

Cheers
Sponsored

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
So educate me......
Based on what you said wouldn't you see an appreciable increase in hp and tq at lower RPMs with a performance tune? Look at the 87 octane tunes;
https://5startuning.com/got-a-2019-ranger-2-3l-ecoboost/#iLightbox[image_carousel_1]/1
I'm not seeing big changes till 3000 + RPMs. So I'm not seeing "low engine speeds & high loads".
In addition based on what you said, what is the difference with the other 2.3L EB's in the other platforms that have more hp and tq?
I'm asking because I'm trying to understand your post and how it may or may not relate to the current EB's that can be tuned safely by a reputable tuner and used / driven correctly (ie not constant high engine loads all the time). Thanks
Well, 3000rpm is what I mean by low speed. Below that, there isn't enough air mass to push the turbo, so you wont get gains with any tune beyond the few degrees of timing they'll likely dump in.

I touched on the differences from other 2.3s somewhere else in this thread. Trucks have more stressful durability tests (Ford internal signoff metric), so truck engines are de-tuned to pass them. Time @ torque = fatigue. The truck tests are longer, so more time @ less torque = same fatigue.

tivct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tremor, Focus RS
This thread is very interesting and I’m thankful we have you and Phil providing your experience and knowledge. The same goes for other factory engineers that I haven’t stumbled upon yet.

I had a low speed stumble when new and that has been improved by the tranny TSB reset.
I can still vaguely feel a “lean spot” or stall around 1500rpm, it’s better but it’s not as smooth as I would like. MPG is consistent 21 in town.

At 7k miles now I usually mix or swap up using 87 with 93 octane and I can’t help but think that a tune would make a huge difference in smoothness and fuel delivery.

So, that has me thinking of a tune until I read this thread.
Cannot a tuner “clean up” the fuel mapping without risking reliability? Isn’t the reliability more dependent on the driver?
For someone not interested in 1/4 mile times but rather fuel mileage and smoothness what is the answer? What could be improved upon?
Without a CEL the dealer won’t touch.

Cheers
If you can find a tuner who really knows how Ford's torque control strategy works (it's less likely a direct fueling issue, more likely a hiccup in torque command) then they can absolutely clean up the response. Most production calibrations are probably 98%... it'll take another year to get that extra 2%, and at some point the engineers just need to move on to the next project.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If you can find a tuner who really knows how Ford's torque control strategy works (it's less likely a direct fueling issue, more likely a hiccup in torque command) then they can absolutely clean up the response. Most production calibrations are probably 98%... it'll take another year to get that extra 2%, and at some point the engineers just need to move on to the next project.
Hi,

Yep! the old saying is "There comes a time in the history of every project where you have to shoot the engineer and start production"

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
When the Raptor (eventually) comes to the USA. Do you expect a tuned 2.3L? Or a bigger engine?

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Just drop a Coyote 5.0 in it :muscle:

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I’ll have to ask around about “torque control strategy“ sounds complicated.

Something I did a few days ago was replace the coil packs with Accel performance brand.
This made a big difference and from my first impression, the shutter I had move up to around 2500-3000rpm and it is not near as noticeable and that was me with actually looking for it. Normal driving and being less anal I would almost say it’s gone.

Something I found under the stock coil pack next to the firewall was white corrosion on the bolt threads and what I assume is the grounding collar of the coil pack. Possible that this was part of the issue....?

Now I wondering if better spark plugs would help?

K24coupe

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger drag civic
Occupation
Land scaper owner
Hello i figured i chime in on the stock factory tune. Just purchased my 2020 xlt sport 2wd super cab for my lawn business with 6x12 trailer two mowers all equipment weight is around 3100lbs.. And she pulls great but i did hear/notice ping knock chatter on half throttle while towing i also have ran 93 octane since i purchased it with 1200 miles now has 3k so im sure it has enough 93 ran through the system to rid of any 87 left behind. My question is do you think a tow haul tune would rid this ping detonation? Sucks that my factory tune is killing this motor little by little.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hi,

Yep! the old saying is "There comes a time in the history of every project where you have to shoot the engineer and start production"

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Obviously you got out of Dodge, the city not the vehicle, before your project got to that point. Smart man. ?

Glad your still with us. ?
Sponsored