First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
I know this is a common issue with our trucks, but how high are you seeing the levels rise? I just pulled up to the dealer for a scheduled oil change and decided to check the level before I let him pull it back. The oil was was off the chart on the stick, like to the top of the Ford motor co sign. The guy tried to tell me that was the max level on the stick ?‍♂

edit: this was after 6k miles on the oil, total of 11k miles on the truck. 21 tremor

6D900E02-BAB9-428E-88A0-2FBEEE393221.jpeg
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The vehicle should be sitting at least 15 minutes before checking the oil level.

Since the dealer is doing an oil change and you suspect the level is rising, have them mark the dipstick at the correct level and then check it after 1000 miles.

My truck was creating its own oil and the dealer marked the stick, checked it after 1k and it was indeed overfull.

They found that the HPFP was leaking fuel into the crankcase.

Replaced the HPFP and no more issues.

Edit: Found the thread with my service ticket

service-png.png

Last edited:

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
That looks bad. But a couple things.
1. Did you change the oil or dealer? On my last oil change, dealer filled too high. had to take it back and have them drain some

2. Does it smell like gasoline?

3. Did you let the oil settle for many minutes after running?

OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
Oh ya, I can smell the gasoline before I even pulled the dipstick. The dealer changed it, and I want to say I checked the level afterwards and it was fine. On the first oil change I told the dealer about it, but he just dumped the oil and didn’t document the level rise. It wasn’t this high last time though .

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Yaegerbomb89

Yaegerbomb89

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Occupation
Software
The vehicle should be sitting at least 15 minutes before checking the oil level.

Since the dealer is doing an oil change and you suspect the level is rising, have them mark the dipstick at the correct level and then check it after 1000 miles.

My truck was creating its own oil and the dealer marked the stick, checked it after 1k and it was indeed overfull.

They found that the HPFP was leaking fuel into the crankcase.

Replaced the HPFP and no more issues.
Thanks, I’m going to recommend to them that they mark it and I’ll bring it back after 1k

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I know this is a common issue with our trucks, but how high are you seeing the levels rise? I just pulled up to the dealer for a scheduled oil change and decided to check the level before I let him pull it back. The oil was was off the chart on the stick, like to the top of the Ford motor co sign. The guy tried to tell me that was the max level on the stick ?‍♂

edit: this was after 6k miles on the oil, total of 11k miles on the truck. 21 tremor

6D900E02-BAB9-428E-88A0-2FBEEE393221.jpeg
This is NOT a common issue with our trucks.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
If your engine was hot, that reading is not reliable. Start checking it routinely after sitting overnight. If it gets as high as you’ve indicated when it’s cold after sitting overnight, then you need to investigate further.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
It’s a known issue for some. Seems to get worse as it gets colder out. I would suggest getting a sample and sending it out for analysis. Ford might do that but if you take it on you will know for sure!
Sponsored