First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
Occupation
Ford parts guy
You did choose the top trim and a Tremor. What trim was your 2018?
I understand that, not solely complaining about the price of the Ranger, that's my choice. My 18 F150 is an XLT Sport with the FX4 package. Not sure why this matters though, the Ranger is 10k Less sticker for sticker, but it's gonna cost me more a month to lease. Just a terrible time to be out of a lease and having to buy another vehicle. Shortages everywhere

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
A lease is speculative. The residual is lower than the F150. That is obvious by the sales volumes when comparing the the F-series to the Ranger.

You could always buy it, keep it for the same term as the lease (24/36/48 months) and sell it. See if you come out ahead or behind.

I am guessing that when financing 100% over 7 years, the break-over point is closer to 5 years.

I just compared the two trucks. Considered leasing for an afternoon. I found out my insurance is cheaper on the Ranger. Also liked the smaller vehicle. Ordered a Lariat Tremor.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Same here. I paid 32K for my 2020 Lariat (sticker was 39K) on X-Plan and the dealer I bought it from sent me one of those buy back offer letters offering 42K for it. Can't say I am not tempted to take them up on it.
Yep, I'm tempted, the problem is the entire market is up so unless we have a car to use until the dust settles then it doesn't make too much sense... At least for me.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
, I am going to be facing a New Ranger that sticker for sticker is $10,000 less than my 2018 F150 was and I am going to be paying more a month for this lease. WTF ?
Why don’t you check the trade-in value of your F-150? See what Carvana will buy it from you for…. Maybe at the end of the lease you can buy the truck. Then keep it or trade/sell it.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
What's your buyout price? I'll bet you can make a ton by selling it to Carvana and pocketing the difference. That should make up for any increased payment on the Ranger.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Yep, I'm tempted, the problem is the entire market is up so unless we have a car to use until the dust settles then it doesn't make too much sense... At least for me.
That'd be the same for me. Could sell the truck back turn a tidy profit in the process and buy a junker to get me by till prices come back down. Knowing my luck my wife would discover a use for that money before they did, or the prices wouldn't come down...

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The F 150 is probably a better deal to lease over the ranger since the residual value is a known quantity an probably a higher percentage. Generally the higher priced vehicle makes a better lease since they are worth more at the end. Look at a fiesta vs a focus vs a fusion....the price doesn't change much on an equal lease but the cars are thousands more.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Ok see what the buyout is on F150 and see what Carvana will give you for it. Might make out nicely there. Then buy the Ranger with profit and or down payment. Take out a long term loan. Drive it as long as you want and sell or trade it. You’re putting money in your pocket all while inflation goes ballistic. Long run you win

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised you're unaware of how leases work being in the industry and having 3 prior leases. A Ford Ranger's residual value isn't as high as a full size truck, especially an F150. That's why you're paying more for a Ranger for a 3 year lease. Small (midsize) truck's depreciate at a faster rate, especially in the first couple years while F150's maintain their value better than most autos across the board and don't depreciate as quickly in the first couple years.

Joyride

First Name
Stacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Proposal Manager, US Navy vet, 2A Supporter
I understand that, not solely complaining about the price of the Ranger, that's my choice. My 18 F150 is an XLT Sport with the FX4 package. Not sure why this matters though, the Ranger is 10k Less sticker for sticker, but it's gonna cost me more a month to lease. Just a terrible time to be out of a lease and having to buy another vehicle. Shortages everywhere
Understand, and agree, it's definitely tough right now. Can you move out of a lease? I've heard Ford leases are pretty stringent.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
i just traded in my 2018 f150 lariat lease for more than my buyout and I was over miles so that basically gave me positive equity as a down payment for my ranger. Carmax is giving big $$$ for used trucks so just get their quote and bring it to a ford dealer see if they match like they did to me.
Sponsored