Rhino Rack vs Yakima Crossbars, Towers/Feet for Canopy with Rails

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
For truck canopies with tracks/rails, it seems Rhino, Yakima and Thule all have x3 pieces required to achieve crossbars: some base piece that bolts to the rail/track, a tower/foot that attaches to the base then the crossbars. They all operate essentially the same.

Rhino offers those x3 pieces for a couple hundred less than Yakima, plus locks included which are extra on Yakima. Rhino's aero-style bars are similar to Yakima but carry more weight.

I can't find a good reason to go with Yakima or Thule. They all apparently accept one another's accessories, t-slot capable, etc. Any experience here?

Btw, finding the right base piece, foot/tower etc is frustrating!
Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
I have Yakima overhaul HD's. I didn't have to buy locks for extra. You might have to pay extra if you want accessories keyed alike to your rack. The racks are pricey though.

I don't think all T slots are the same. I couldn't find the ones for the overhaul and bought some Thule T bolts. Had to take a grinder to the tabs.

If you want to check out the Yakima setup, I'd be happy to meet up on a weekend if you're near King County.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on what you're looking to get out of your setup. From what I can tell, Rhino doesn't have a tower option - just a bedrail choice. So if we're taking that as what you're looking for... it looks like the options are as follows:

Rhino Vortex Bar + RLT600 + Quick Mount Fit Kit* = $505
165lbs load rating

Rhino Heavy Duty Bar + Quick Mount Adapter + RLT600 + Quick Mount Fit Kit* = $545
220lbs load rating

Thule Rapid Podium** ($250) + WingBar Evo ($250, 220lbs) / AeroBlade ($300?, 165lb)/ SquareBar Evo ($140, 220lbs) / ProBar Evo ($170, 220lbs)

Yakima Skyline Towers ($245) + JetStream ($245, 165lbs) / CoreBar ($195, 220lbs)/ RoundBar ($125, 165lbs) / HD Bar SL Adapter + HD Bar*** ($40 + $320, 3/500lbs)

*I'm not quite sure what all that provides, it looks like hardware and foam. Not sure if it's worth it, but whatever.

**I had to kinda guess at the Thule aspect, but it seems like it works like that.

***I think that combo works, but not 100% sure. Also, I believe I saw somewhere that the rating with the t rail adapter pack for the overhaul was reduced to 180lbs... but I'm not sure on that, or on how it would affect that foot pack. The BedRock specifically says 300lbs.

So, the main thing seems to be the weight rating, 165lbs, 220lbs, or 3/500lbs (maybe). It doesn't seem like there are really any systems *designed* specifically for t track bed covers, the Rhino seems to be the closest. I'm not quite sure where you're seeing that Rhino is a couple hundred cheaper though.

And if we're not talking about t track systems, but bed height, I would 100% say go with the Yakima BedRock. Assuming you can find it in stock. I would personally stay away from Thule at this point in their company career - they seem (to me, as this is my opinion) to have the R&D to support the features and ease-of-use stuff that the competitors have these days, and they still charge top dollar. I would also always stay away from round bars, too many issues with those to ever recommend them, and they have zero place on a flat surface (the Round bars are why I used to recommend against Yakima, but their HD bars are AWESOME).

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if the t-tracks are the same but here is the guide to the stuff all three make that works with the Retrax t-tracks. I'd think it would be the same because Retrax specifically built their track to work with the existing accessories out there.

Attachments

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
For what it’s worth, I have Rhino Rack legs mounted directly through the roof of my canopy with the Pioneer Platform attached directly to the legs - the platform is built using crossbars as part of the structure. It’s the lowest profile combo I could come up with. If you don’t already have the tracks installed on your canopy, you might consider the same.

258581C0-1A76-4BF0-8155-B170956104E3.jpeg

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I have Front Runner track, feet, risers and oval crossbars for my DiamondBack HD tonneau. I also built another set of riser and bars that use the Front Runner feet using bulk extruded aluminum and generic brackets, but are ~12 inches high so my spare can sit on the tonneau under the racks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lazynorse

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I’ll order my Snugtop canopy with the rails/tracks pre installed. They’re either Yakima or Thule, can’t remember.

The Rhino components accommodate Yakima or Thule rails and the needed hardware is the same as Yakima- a base mount or ‘foot’ that mounts to the track, a base or ‘tower’ that mounts to the ‘foot,’ then your choice of crossbars, most like the aero style.

I believe the Rhino foot, tower and crossbars are cheaper than those three Yakima equivalent components, from my math.

All the companies use different names for foot, tower and crossbars- well, crossbars are obvious.

If my math is right, the (edited) Rhino x3 components needed for pre installed canopy rails/tracks is a little cheaper than Yakima. Leaning towards Rhino for this reason.
It all depends on what you're looking to get out of your setup. From what I can tell, Rhino doesn't have a tower option - just a bedrail choice. So if we're taking that as what you're looking for... it looks like the options are as follows:

Rhino Vortex Bar + RLT600 + Quick Mount Fit Kit* = $505
165lbs load rating

Rhino Heavy Duty Bar + Quick Mount Adapter + RLT600 + Quick Mount Fit Kit* = $545
220lbs load rating

Thule Rapid Podium** ($250) + WingBar Evo ($250, 220lbs) / AeroBlade ($300?, 165lb)/ SquareBar Evo ($140, 220lbs) / ProBar Evo ($170, 220lbs)

Yakima Skyline Towers ($245) + JetStream ($245, 165lbs) / CoreBar ($195, 220lbs)/ RoundBar ($125, 165lbs) / HD Bar SL Adapter + HD Bar*** ($40 + $320, 3/500lbs)

*I'm not quite sure what all that provides, it looks like hardware and foam. Not sure if it's worth it, but whatever.

**I had to kinda guess at the Thule aspect, but it seems like it works like that.

***I think that combo works, but not 100% sure. Also, I believe I saw somewhere that the rating with the t rail adapter pack for the overhaul was reduced to 180lbs... but I'm not sure on that, or on how it would affect that foot pack. The BedRock specifically says 300lbs.

So, the main thing seems to be the weight rating, 165lbs, 220lbs, or 3/500lbs (maybe). It doesn't seem like there are really any systems *designed* specifically for t track bed covers, the Rhino seems to be the closest. I'm not quite sure where you're seeing that Rhino is a couple hundred cheaper though.

And if we're not talking about t track systems, but bed height, I would 100% say go with the Yakima BedRock. Assuming you can find it in stock. I would personally stay away from Thule at this point in their company career - they seem (to me, as this is my opinion) to have the R&D to support the features and ease-of-use stuff that the competitors have these days, and they still charge top dollar. I would also always stay away from round bars, too many issues with those to ever recommend them, and they have zero place on a flat surface (the Round bars are why I used to recommend against Yakima, but their HD bars are AWESOME).

Last edited:

JimJ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 FX4. Level2. 2022 SC FX4 on order
Occupation
Retired
For what it’s worth, I have Rhino Rack legs mounted directly through the roof of my canopy with the Pioneer Platform attached directly to the legs - the platform is built using crossbars as part of the structure. It’s the lowest profile combo I could come up with. If you don’t already have the tracks installed on your canopy, you might consider the same.

258581C0-1A76-4BF0-8155-B170956104E3.jpeg
What manufacturer is your canopy? I have a 22 FX4 super cab on the way!

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Yakima round bars...

IMG_1796.jpg

1650372196799.png
That's what I hope to do with my Yakima crossbars. I installed Yakima feet on my Dakota, and added Yakima tracks to my Durango so I can use my round bars with the boat loader.
Haven't mustered the courage to drill holes in the roof of the Ranger yet, did you use feet, or tracks on your roof, and any suggestions for placement?

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Rada1:

Had it installed by rack shop. Not cheap but same install on my F150 lasted 16 yrs no probs!

They used a blind waterproof threaded insert.
Hauls my yaks and SUPs just fine!

Good luck!

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I have Rhino RTL600 with their vortex bars. They are well made and easy to install. Have no regrets going with Rhino.
Any road noise or whistling from them?