Report your MPG

Deleted member 1634

Got back from a long weekend on the road with the camper (1700lbs for this trip). The roads to our destination and back were relatively smooth and flat, and max out at 65mph (but mostly 55mph). Around where we stayed there are a lot of slow winding hilly roads, and we also did a few hours of under 10mph off-roading. Went through 3 tanks with 20.8, 21.0, and 19.7mpg calculated. The last tank was sitting around 34mpg before we took it off-road, and then it plummeted to around 24mpg, then pulling the camper home into the wind dropped it even more.

More and more pleased every tank at how well we can do with this thing given what we're doing. Especially given the mileage I hear from people I know with other trucks.
Sponsored

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Got back from a long weekend on the road with the camper (1700lbs for this trip). The roads to our destination and back were relatively smooth and flat, and max out at 65mph (but mostly 55mph). Around where we stayed there are a lot of slow winding hilly roads, and we also did a few hours of under 10mph off-roading. Went through 3 tanks with 20.8, 21.0, and 19.7mpg calculated. The last tank was sitting around 34mpg before we took it off-road, and then it plummeted to around 24mpg, then pulling the camper home into the wind dropped it even more.

More and more pleased every tank at how well we can do with this thing given what we're doing. Especially given the mileage I hear from people I know with other trucks.
Smart to get a travel trailer smaller than your truck so aerodynamic is much better and much lighter. Awesome! My trailer is darn heavy and a lot bigger. The aerodynamic is much horrible. Thus, the mpg is not so great.
SaberCamping.jpeg

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Lariat 2WD with start/stop enabled, black rhino warlord wheels(not sure if any weight difference over stock), factory tires(265/60R18), 2.5" RC leveling pucks, tonneau cover, AEM dryflow filter, and Mishimoto catch can. Average about 60 miles one way every day with about 25 miles being interstate, 20 being a 4 lane with several stop lights that I luckily sometime make it through, and 15 being hilly and curvy back roads. A lot of my driving is me babying the girl at around 60 on the interstate using the adaptive cruise and all the safety features and the speed limit on all other roads.

I am now starting to up my speed to between 8 and 9 over to see what the differences are. As far as time, I have noticed that driving 5 under the speed limit doesn't make a noticeable difference unless I get caught in a bunch of lights.

Using the gas buddy log my best MPG is 30.6 and I believe I was hitting around 16 to 17 when towing multiple types of trailers when I made my move a couple months ago. I just started using premium at about 9,950 miles so I will be watching for differences there. I went to fill-up yesterday after giving her hell for the 1/2 to 1/4 tank usage and filled up with the MPG ending at 27.1.

A caveat to using the gas buddy log is that it will not allow me to use decimals when inputting the current mileage. So I always round up or down. I am hoping that it evens out.

I am also wanting to remove the air dam. From what I've read here it should only drop me about 1 MPG.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
This is while running the Ford Performance Tune. This is a round trip we made yesterday from Hemet, CA to Santa Paula, CA. and back. The drive consisted of about 98% freeway, cruise control set at 70 to 75 mph. Ambient temperature 98/102 degrees. Even had 18 miles of freeway stop and go traffic while a roll over accident was cleaned up.

No hypermile type driving took place. My goal was to see what the real fuel efficiency could be and how it compares to the EPA estimate. My regular driving style would be considered spirited and the lifetime mpg of the truck is around 19/20 with a mix of city and highway driving.

Mileage.jpg

Deleted member 1634

I filled up a new tank the other night after work, and I'm going to run an experiment on this tank. I'm going to drive "normal"; try to keep up with all the other people.

I've been keeping my windows open on the way home most days and have been noticing just how many people are essentially flooring it every time they take off from a stop. Really making their engines scream, just driving around town. That's insane to me, and a huge waste of energy!

So far I've seen a 20% drop from my driving style to the "normal" driving style. Limited data so far, so we'll see how it turns out at the end.

#engineering #science #data haha

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I filled up a new tank the other night after work, and I'm going to run an experiment on this tank. I'm going to drive "normal"; try to keep up with all the other people.

I've been keeping my windows open on the way home most days and have been noticing just how many people are essentially flooring it every time they take off from a stop. Really making their engines scream, just driving around town. That's insane to me, and a huge waste of energy!

So far I've seen a 20% drop from my driving style to the "normal" driving style. Limited data so far, so we'll see how it turns out at the end.

LOVE Science! That is a missing element in this country right now!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
LOVE Science! That is a missing element in this country right now!
Hi David,

There is a part of the USA of which I have a lot of experience. If the first electron enters the filament of the green light and you are not hard on the gas pedal, the person behind you is on their horn to get you to move at Wide Open Throttle.... This East coast state also will not let you pump your own gasoline... Fuel economy in this state suffers....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hi David,

There is a part of the USA of which I have a lot of experience. If the first electron enters the filament of the green light and you are not hard on the gas pedal, the person behind you is on their horn to get you to move at Wide Open Throttle.... This East coast state also will not let you pump your own gasoline... Fuel economy in this state suffers....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Can't top what you said. Well done! LOL! I used to live in Boston for two years for my MA degree from Boston University and you are right about those drivers!

Deleted member 1634

I haven't completed my tank, but I think I have enough data to complete the experiment. Plus, it wasn't fun, and was down right stressful driving like this for me. haha

Results:
My driving style: 24.8mpg
"Normal" driving style: 22.6mpg

*Mix of highway and city with multiple stoplights.
*Both numbers are truck calculated, so not equal to actual mileage but still comparable to each other.

Better than I thought it would be given the aggressiveness of the drivers around me that I had to match.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
FordRangerlift.com
2.5" about an hour each side. Keeps a 1" rake. I believe it was $175. Great guy to work with. Made in USA.
Link didn't work

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
We did a road trip in our FX4 SuperCab, about 9 hours of driving. What I'm finding is setting the cruise control @ 65 mph is the "sweet spot" for good mpg, we averaged 28 mpg.

Anything faster and the mpg stars to drop.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
We did a road trip in our FX4 SuperCab, about 9 hours of driving. What I'm finding is setting the cruise control @ 65 mph is the "sweet spot" for good mpg, we averaged 28 mpg.

I found that too. I averaged 30 with it set at 64 driving to my son's house. I had to allow him time to get home an it's about an hour away. I drive around 65 to work because I'm in no hurry....coming home I try to keep it under 80 so I guess it averages out to about 22!

Deleted member 1634

I found that too. I averaged 30 with it set at 64 driving to my son's house. I had to allow him time to get home an it's about an hour away. I drive around 65 to work because I'm in no hurry....coming home I try to keep it under 80 so I guess it averages out to about 22!
Looking at the instantaneous mileage on our highway trips, I've figured that if I could leave the gas station, get up to 60-65 and maintain that on nice smooth flowing road, I could get 32-34mpg. Obviously a pretty ideal situation, but would be possible on some of my travels. One of these days I want to do a trip that will allow that to happen and see how good I can get. But now that we have my wife's new Escape Hybrid, most of those types of trips we'll just use her car so who knows when I'll be able to do that.
Sponsored