Replacement for the OE LT265/65/17 tires

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Looking for recommendations for same size replacement.

My factory LT tires have 45k miles on them and are starting to get slick when it's cold and wet.

So far the OE Hankooks have been fine. Not a ton of off-road, just light duty stuff during deer season. I'm towing ~3k trailers more often. Live in the south so snow isn't a problem.

Basically I don't want to give up anything from the OE LT tire but I'd be happy to get more wet grip or less road noise.

Any good options?
Sponsored

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
The Cooper Discover AT/3 would be a good option. There are so many options for tires that fit your need. Tire shopping always drives me crazy. Not like you can run them for a couple months and return them lol.

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Those 2(The Wild peak and Cooper) we're on my radar.

The Wild peak doesn't have an equivalent LT/C rated size. Am I really giving anything up if I go that route?

Burnt Money

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
This is my totally unscientific real world opinion. With towing around 3000lbs as a max you’re probably not giving up much. Look at the actual ratings of the tires. The stock Dyna pro tires are an LT and I think we’re 6 ply. My current tires are an LT and 10 ply with a E rating. Tire shop said they had to be the same rating to cover their tails legally regardless of the specs. But they sold them to me at the same price as the non LT. The thicker sidewalls will help with puncture resistance hunting. You can still damage the tire but not having to change it out in a swamp or mud hole is a big plus. Also look at the tire weights when comparing tires. If you can save 1-2 miles per gallon over the life of the tires it adds up. Between the Wild Peaks and the Coopers it’s probably a toss up and boils down to preference. I really like Coopers because I’ve had great results with them over the years. If I was tire shopping and got a great deal on the Wild Peaks I would probably buy them. Lots of great reviews on them and it’s a proven tire. Hopefully this helps. I’m sure you will like whichever one you choose!

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
BFG's KO2 :rockon:
1710005050302.png

Been running mine now for just short of 40,000 miles. Available in load range C, and E, (mine are E), I have been rotating them at about 3-3.500 mile intervals, running 40 PSI for pressure, and the tread measurement started at 15/32 new, is currently at 11/32 on all four, no "sipping" present, and soundless/noise free at 70 mph freeway speeds.

DSC00002.JPG

DSC00003.JPG

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If basic All-Terrain is up your alley I would look at the Firestone Destination AT2. It should fit the bill and be reasonable on price.

OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Can anyone comment on the coopers or falkens and their noise compared to the OE Hankooks?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Can anyone comment on the coopers or falkens and their noise compared to the OE Hankooks?
I can't speak for the Fallens or Coopers, but I can say that I never had an issue with noise on the Hankooks unless I picked up a nail or screw and had low tire pressure. Had that happen with my 2016 Frontier

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
I can't speak for the Fallens or Coopers, but I can say that I never had an issue with noise on the Hankooks unless I picked up a nail or screw and had low tire pressure. Had that happen with my 2016 Frontier
Yeah I've been happy with the noise and overall performance. I want to make sure I don't trade into louder tires.

CaliBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCab XLT FX4 Cyber Orange
Occupation
Software Engineer
Load Range describes a tire's construction and the number of plys, but modern tires use stronger material so it's not necessarily true that more plys means higher carrying capacity. More plys will typically mean a heavier tire which will reduce mpg fuel rating. It's helpful to compare a tire's Load Index. I believe the stock Hankooks have a load index of 112 (carrying capacity of 2469 lbs) and the Falken AT/4 tires have a load index of 116 (carrying capacity of 2756 lbs). I think in general, a tire with wider gaps between the tread blocks will be a louder tire. I just replaced my stock Hankooks with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac RT, and they're definitely louder.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Yeah I've been happy with the noise and overall performance. I want to make sure I don't trade into louder tires.
Almost any true All Terrain tire is going to be a little louder than the Hankooks, in my opinion. The Hankooks claim to be All terrain, but they are more of an all-season tread design in reality. Most of the popular All Terrains, such as the Wildpeak and AT3 are going to be a little louder to noticeably louder. If you want quieter, you may want to consider something like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Last edited:
OP
OP

NHR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Almost any true All Terrain tire is going to be a little louder than the Hankooks, in my opinion. The Hankooks claim to All terrain, but they are more of an all-season tread design in reality. Most of the popular All Terrains, such as the Wildpeak and AT3 are going to be a little louder to noticeably louder. If you want quieter, you may want to consider something like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.
That's helpful, thank you!

Not necessarily unhappy with the Hankooks so I may just grab another set.

Big fan of Michelin for car tires. Spendy but usually worth it.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Looking for recommendations for same size replacement.

My factory LT tires have 45k miles on them and are starting to get slick when it's cold and wet.

So far the OE Hankooks have been fine. Not a ton of off-road, just light duty stuff during deer season. I'm towing ~3k trailers more often. Live in the south so snow isn't a problem.

Basically I don't want to give up anything from the OE LT tire but I'd be happy to get more wet grip or less road noise.

Any good options?
same --- I am really impressed by how long the stock ones have lasted nearly 50k Im considering the continental HT tires or Michelin LTX / defender tires just haven't decided yet -- I like the off-road "look" but dont do off road much other than dirt type roads once in a while so I will likely do the defenders or LTX ones I also tow a 2500 lb boat but mostly highway use

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
The Cooper Discover AT/3 would be a good option. There are so many options for tires that fit your need. Tire shopping always drives me crazy. Not like you can run them for a couple months and return them lol.
yep its like a 1500 non returnable gotta live with it for 4 year thing. I keep researching / pricing and then forgetting about it for awhile but getting to the time where thats not gonna work much longer
Sponsored