Regular vs premium anyone else notice huge difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Pinto
Wow $1 extra for premium. And you're North Carolina! I would have thought California. They must be really high. What do they get a $0.60 tax per gallon??

here
2.08 a gallon reg
premium is 40 cents more

Costco and BP are the only fuel I will use. Both top tier
In Seattle, at the Chevron I fill up at, generally mid grade is 10 cents more than regular, and premium is 10 cents more than midgrade. Diesel is generally the close to the price of regular, nearly always less than mid grade. Right now unleaded is $3.57. State taxes here are 49.4 cents + 18.4 cents Federal. I've been told distribution costs are a bigger contributor to our higher fuel costs than taxation.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
In Seattle, at the Chevron I fill up at, generally mid grade is 10 cents more than regular, and premium is 10 cents more than midgrade. Diesel is generally the close to the price of regular, nearly always less than mid grade. Right now unleaded is $3.57. State taxes here are 49.4 cents + 18.4 cents Federal. I've been told distribution costs are a bigger contributor to our higher fuel costs than taxation.
I always will choose Chevron if i have the option. I have seen the engine lab where they run vehicles on the dyno and tear down engines to see how their fuels are performing vs other brands, its very impressive.

Everyone has there favorite brand, but just figured i would throw that in.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I always will choose Chevron if i have the option. I have seen the engine lab where they run vehicles on the dyno and tear down engines to see how their fuels are performing vs other brands, its very impressive.

Chevron is said to be a great gas. When I lived in NJ there weren't any Chevron stations and there aren't any in SC.
So Shelll 93 it is for me.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Chevron is said to be a great gas. When I lived in NJ there weren't any Chevron stations and there aren't any in SC.
So Shelll 93 it is for me.
Yes, I have a 93 octane tune..I use Shell V power Nitro.
Regards

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager

Chevron 91 for me as well.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I run 93. It doesn't hurt too bad because I fill up at half a tank. I never run below 1/2 Tank. I use BP premium and Costco premium exclusively. I just don't put enough miles on to worry about a difference between regular and premium. I fill up half a tank once a month
I live near the IL/IA border and get over to IA on errands often enough to stay filled. Costco 93 in IA is about 5-10 cents/gal cheaper than 87 in my little town in IL.....no brainer. :)

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I've been meaning to ask about this. I have yet to try premium. The manual gives little guidance beyond suggesting using premium when towing, and offers no pros/cons either way.

I had been getting 20 in town and 21-22 on the highway (70-80 mph) before the winter blend hit and it dropped about 1 mpg. May have to wait for some spring road trips before I can do a reasonably scientific experiment as to the overall performance benefits and cost/benefit ratio on mileage.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've been meaning to ask about this. I have yet to try premium. The manual gives little guidance beyond suggesting using premium when towing, and offers no pros/cons either way.

I had been getting 20 in town and 21-22 on the highway (70-80 mph) before the winter blend hit and it dropped about 1 mpg. May have to wait for some spring road trips before I can do a reasonably scientific experiment as to the overall performance benefits and cost/benefit ratio on mileage.
We've got 3,400 miles on our Ranger SuperCab here in Central Colorado. I intentionally have left the "Trip 1" setting to record since we 1st picked up the truck mid September. MPG is a little over 25 running Shell V power Nitro.

Cali_Ranger

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX
I saw absolutely no difference in MPG's when using 87 or 91 octane. Per the manual, it does say to use 91 when ambient temperatures are warm and it does get REALLY warm in the central valley during the summer months. So I will give the 91 another try next year but for now 87 octane works just fine.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
2.6k miles on Blue and I put regular in rather than premium (was exhausted hit wrong button the deed was done) manual says you can run either.

Anyone else done this and noticed the following?

1. approx 20% drop in mpg
  2. Engine sounds like it’s working harder
  3. Truck feels like it’s in slomo
Truck goes but it most certainly doesn’t feel the same.

Me thinks I’ll be running premium only from now on.
I've been running regular since day one and I average 23.8 mpg actual (fuelly app verified) and I use it as an actual work truck. If I got 20% better with premium, that would be 28.5 mpg.

Bud

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL supper cab 2019 Volt 99 XK8 Jaguar
Occupation
Sailor
$2.08 per gallon!? You have it great down there:like: We swing from $2.30 up to $2.60:facepalm: Normally, I run 87, $2.40 from local Sheetz franchise so I when I tried 93 I wanted the best and topped off at Shell and the price was nearly a buck higher around $3.50...for tooling around light footed in my Ranger, too much to justify the octane boost...in my track ready MINI, always 93 octane as she sees redline all day long...
I paid $3.45 for regular here in Northern California this morning.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I paid $3.45 for regular here in Northern California this morning.
Ya the cheap gas stations up here in Redding are about that. I refuse to use cheap gas, unless it’s a hoopty car or somethin. Think I paid $3.99 for Chevron Premium this morning
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.