Is anyone else really affected by winter blend?

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Went to my in-laws on Sunday for Christmas, and was nice to see an increase in my mpg. Lately I've been avg 16mpg on my last 3 tanks, that is mostly short drive to work and back. On this trip, I was at 23 mpg, and the weather has warmed up too, in the lower 40's. This was mostly 68 mph, and then 58 on back roads.
Sounds bout normal. Winter blend def reduces MPGs slightly altho not hugely. 91-93 octane Prenium all winter may offset that a bit while feeding the 2.3L TGDI the fuel it really runs best on . At least we not dealing with the dog of an engine in Tacoma! I'm talking there V6. Pitiful. Ranger is back an now all will step up big time...CAUSE THEY MUST!✌
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, my Ranger Lariat FX4 was getting about 21 MPH running 87 in the summer and fall. Come winter, it is way down to 18.5, even though I am now running 93 and keeping the tires (stock Hankook) slightly over-inflated (that is, just above the recommended 30). I attribute this poor mileage in part to the Fox/Ford Two-Inch Leveling Kit, which I installed right after it came out--and love--but mainly to the fact that I started driving my wife to work in Philadelphia (about 30 miles each way); and then another 30 on top of that to get to my job in the other direction. She has problems of visual acuity and cannot drive, so no way around this, and I am happy to do it, but the freeway driving at high speeds (probably averaging 75 MPG, which you pretty much have to do in these parts just to keep up with the flow of traffic) seems to be the main factor killing my mileage. Of course, this time of the year, heat and air conditioning stay on, and that is no doubt a factor as well, not to mention the remote starts to warm things up.... (Now that I am writing this all down, I can see that I have become a "perfect [winter] storm" of poor mileage, despite the higher octane gas, which does seem to perk up the motor in a way that we both notice and appreciate.)