Recommended tires for a 2019 Ranger for mixed use?

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
Very good advice and thank you. Any recommendations for places to compare tires like this? Aside from posting here, I'm not sure where else to do homework ;)
Tire Rack also has a pretty detailed compare feature you can use after you search. I am leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S as well, it's very popular.
Sponsored

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat (White Platinum)
When I bought my 5th gen 4Runner, it came with Geolandar A/T's. Amazing on road tire if it never rains, or snows, or anything other than dry pavement................

They were completely useless off-road, they kept hydroplaning on-road and had no traction in snow, not ice, snow.

I would stay far away from these tires.
Thanks for saving me some heartache!

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Ultimately, any of the tires from bfgoodrich, cooper, falken, toyo, nitto, firestone will do what you want to do, just go with a tire that has the snowflake symbol and appeal to you look wise.

They are all excellent tires and you will not be disappointed.

Side note: It's always nice to turn back, look at the truck with a nice set of tires and say heck yeah! ;)

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can speak on Falken Wildpeaks for dry use highway only.. They perform amazingly on highway for "off-road" mixed tires. I did not notice a sound increase and they perform pretty much the same as the factory handkooks from speeds of 90mph+ which gives me confidence in their highway ability. It has not rained, nor have I gone towards the mountains for snow and I have not yet off-roaded in them since it has been quite warm out. Wish I could offer insight on these Wildpeaks for those situations. Amazing sidewall tread design though...
9C6C4038-D209-4BFD-9F39-FA9301767032.jpeg
12D37E89-A6FB-44F9-A288-9FC3D70A8369.jpeg
Nice looking tire. I just ordered them from a local shop, as I dig the way they look and the performance between the Coopers and those are very close from what I've read. $880 out the door with alignment, disposal, and everything. Not bad at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll update here after I've driven them for a bit.

MoatCarp

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
IT Systems Administrator
+1 for the Toyo (because that's what I have :D)

Echoing what @TheDo114 said above --To be honest, you'll most likely be fine going with any of the tires mentioned above. I'd imagine that the limits of each of them are going to be so similar that the average driver is going to have a hard time telling them apart from the driver's seat in any given scenario.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Nice looking tire. I just ordered them from a local shop, as I dig the way they look and the performance between the Coopers and those are very close from what I've read. $880 out the door with alignment, disposal, and everything. Not bad at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll update here after I've driven them for a bit.
Agreed the aesthetic was well thought of. You got an amazing deal my friend. I paid $1300 after taxes and insurance certificate from discount. Canā€™t wait to hear more about it when you get a bit of time on them :turkey:

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
I had the Falkens last winter and ran them up into the snow several times. They were outstanding there and in hard rain. You'll be pretty happy with your choice I'd bet.

HyDQR2i.jpg

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the Falkens last winter and ran them up into the snow several times. They were outstanding there and in hard rain. You'll be pretty happy with your choice I'd bet.

HyDQR2i.jpg
Man....that looks awesome. I have the chrome package, but I always regret it when I see those black sidewalls and black rims. Beautiful truck!

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
The stock Yokohama's on our Subaru were gone in about 30,000 miles and were never really impressive except on dry pavement. They weren't ATs but I wasn't impressed.

BFG Advantage T/A are a superb road/wet tire and have held their own in the snow and dirt.

OP
OP

d1rewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got ā€˜em installed. Tire place threw in free alignment because they lost my lock nut socket on the test drive (left it on the bumper), but fortunately I drove the route they took and found it in the middle of the road. Soā€¦I truly did get a deal: $880.16 all in.

So far, I like them. They do seem to ride a bit rougher than the factory Hankooks, but maybe they need to be broken in. The tire place also has them down up to 42 psi. I questioned this based on Fordā€™s recommendations of (if I recall) 34-36, but the tire shop said 41-42 is recommended for these.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Got ā€˜em installed. Tire place threw in free alignment because they lost my lock nut socket on the test drive (left it on the bumper), but fortunately I drove the route they took and found it in the middle of the road. Soā€¦I truly did get a deal: $880.16 all in.

So far, I like them. They do seem to ride a bit rougher than the factory Hankooks, but maybe they need to be broken in. The tire place also has them down up to 42 psi. I questioned this based on Fordā€™s recommendations of (if I recall) 34-36, but the tire shop said 41-42 is recommended for these.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Way too much pressure, I run my 265/70-18s at 30psi cold. That being said I don't have the LT rated tires, if you do the pressures will be higher and they will ride a bit firm. It's the price you pay for some really tough tires. I chose not to get the LT ones because I don't tow anything... well ever and while we do have rocks around here off road I'm not going to be hitting the Rubicon in the Ranger either, I have a CJ5 when I want to hear steel scrape on rocks.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Great deal! Mine are 34 cold from discount tire, would highly recommend that psi along with fords recommendation. But run what feels good to you.. I used to run 28 on the hankooks. But I wouldnā€™t go below 30 per safety ratings. Maybe try 34 first then 30, easier to go down than back up. But agreed that 40+ is way too high.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
I have the Toyo Open Country AT3s and love them. I looked at all the other options and figured these would do best in snowy & wet traction.

A6F4F519-43D4-4636-828B-231A327E83C5.jpeg

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Very good advice and thank you. Any recommendations for places to compare tires like this? Aside from posting here, I'm not sure where else to do homework ;)
Well you have to work at it. When I did my research, I started by reading tire posts om the forum and then I went to various tire store sites like https://www.discounttire.com/, https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/landing-page/order-pick-up.html, https://www.ntb.com/home ect. to get an idea of what were brands highly rated on those sites.

Then I went to each manufacturer's website and used whatever tool they had to compare their own tire models. That helped me narrow my choices. Then I just compared every spec each manufacturer published about each tire on my short list and made my decision form there.

By the way, I had to wait three months for my Toyos to become available. I couldn't even place an order to get them on backorder, had to wait until they were in stock. My local Discount Tire kept checking in with them every week until the became avail.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thanks! I do go offroad a bit year round, but not *that* often...just rough backroads (mostly gravel with some big bumpiness) or mud roads but nothing like scary...

Those Toyos look really nice. Can't find them anywhere though in stock. A local tire shop recommended the Yokohama Geolanders and a replacement....any thoughts on Yokohama Geolanders vs Toyo Open Country ATIII vs the Copper AT3 4S?
I've got Geolanders on my truck. They're not bad, good grip on tar wet or dry, good grip on dirt, gravel, and sand, good control when towing my camper trailer, can't comment on snow and ice because I live in the subtropics! They tended to be a bit noisy on bitumen and concrete roads, and have gotten noisier with wear, that's about my only adverse comment, but hey it's a 4x4 truck, not a car who cares.
Sponsored