Rear gear ratios

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Alright fellas, with more and more broncos on the streets it looks like we're getting closer to getting some options for regearing.

I believe we share the same rear Dana M220 axle with the Bronco.

The M220 seems to be a slightly smaller diameter than the Dana 44, but it's just as strong, and the pinion has different geometry.

I have googled M220 gears and a few sites are advertising some regearing kits for the M220 but no pictures are available so I'm not sure if they have them in stock just yet.

If anyone finds some gears available please post them here.

Thanks,
Superdannyboy
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I think the front is a bigger concern for most.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
True, I'm looking at regearing for 37+ tires.
What I mean is the M220 has had gearsets available for a while I believe.

The front diff is where you're going to run into problems with regearing. Nothing available as far as I know.

Unless you're 2wd you can't just regear the rear.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I mean is the M220 has had gearsets available for a while I believe.

The front diff is where you're going to run into problems with regearing. Nothing available as far as I know.

Unless you're 2wd you can't just regear the rear.
I'm 2wd so do you know of any regearing sets for the rear?

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
This may be one of the most difficult and expensive mods anyone could undertake on our trucks. I know in my area it’s very difficult to find a knowledgeable professional that will install gears properly using the proper tools. And throw in the fact that, yes we supposedly have the same rear end as a jeep Rubicon but is it really? Your installer better seriously know his stuff to identify the reasons why the new gear-set would either work or not work on a ranger M220 rear end.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This may be one of the most difficult and expensive mods anyone could undertake on our trucks. I know in my area it’s very difficult to find a knowledgeable professional that will install gears properly using the proper tools. And throw in the fact that, yes we supposedly have the same rear end as a jeep Rubicon but is it really? Your installer better seriously know his stuff to identify the reasons why the new gear-set would either work or not work on a ranger M220 rear end.
Great input I 100% agree.

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I haven't looked at gear swaps in exactly 2 years lol. Just wanted something for sure and I didn't want to pave the path on this one. Looks like you can buy the 4.46 gears for the M220 rear end and the install kit for around $612.
I've never done a gear swap so would the next step be taking it to a specialized shop or even the dealership for a Ford tech to install if I'm not doing it myself? I currently have 35's and 450 lbs in the bed with the bed cage and dual spares so I'm thinking this will bring back the "off the line" peppiness. I haven't seen anyone on here kinda go into detail on exactly what parts they bought and the install process.

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...220-ford-performance-4-46-rear-end-gears.html

https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...bronco-m220-ford-ring-pinion-install-kit.html

Screenshot_20231001-204230.png

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Just change out the whole rear end. Cut the axles, and the housing if need be, weld the shock mounts back on. Someone has to give it a try. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to do it. You could put any rear end you wanted on that way

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
You could put a full floating rear end on too!!

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just change out the whole rear end. Cut the axles, and the housing if need be, weld the shock mounts back on. Someone has to give it a try. Thats probably the cheapest and best way to do it. You could put any rear end you wanted on that way
You could put a full floating rear end on too!!
If I was to go that route I would buy a custom 9 inch full floater but for a 4 link, not leaf springs. I just want to do gears for now and I'm at a point where I don't have time to fabricate and would just rather buy the gears and pay someone to put it on and use my toy when I get a chance.
Sponsored