John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I was wheel up yesterday without issue. The abs gimmick kept my other wheeel turning. Everyone else in my group had to power through the same part of the trail. I just applied enough for the wheel touching (no locker) to get me through. Not saying a locker is somehow bad, but these trucks will surprise you even without.

BB6FD38B-AC92-4CFA-85BD-D5DCACBE0FEB.jpeg
Agreed. I had a wheel, sometimes two, off the ground quite a bit and was able to get through without engaging the locker. Would turning it on made it easier? Yep but the truck was more than capable without it, especially given the torque we have at our disposal.
Sponsored

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
Ohhhhh man, the E-Locker. Story time....

Last night, myself and a couple friends ended up popping out into one of the areas just north of where Northern Colorado had flash floods on an adventure just to get out and go have some fun in the great outdoors.

My one friend, the Ford tech out of all of em, made a boneheaded comment along the lines of "You only need 4WD when you get stuck" right in the middle of a muddy climb where I was losing momentum. 2 seconds later, rear end starts spinning. After stopping the truck, going "Way to go Jared, you just had to say that), and pushing some buttons and turning some dials, I had the Rescue Ranger in 4Low with the rear end locked and the damn thing went full on Billy Goat mode. Not too long after, this same trail, where we were 2 weeks prior, was a crap ton more rutted out, and with the locker and some trick driving, made it up a couple of fun spots. Also, return trip allowed for the comment of "SKID PLATES WORK"

Anyways, when I bought my Ranger, the factory e-locker was a big deal, and am overjoyed that I splurged a bit for it. For the most part, it will sit, but if you intend to do some off-roading, like I did when I bought the truck, then it will be worth it especially if traction becomes an issue.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Wow, that slipped my mind. I've had my beauty for two months and have yet to try it!!! Now to find a sandy dirt road here in Southern California.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here I am providing an example of why a locker is a good choice! In this video, you will hear my engine surge but the truck goes nowhere. This was because I was in 4WD, but not locked, and I had unloaded one of my front wheels, and one of my back wheels. Once I locked the rear, and the tire on the ground started spinning, I was good.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First time with this. I had never had a rig with this option. What are you guys thoughts about it. I think it could come in handy in certain conditions in the winter.
It's so nice when you're off road. These trucks have really rigid frames so you tend to get wheels in the air easily. Just push the button to lock the axle and keep on rolling!

It's saved me a few times over the past two years.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Wow, that slipped my mind. I've had my beauty for two months and have yet to try it!!! Now to find a sandy dirt road here in Southern California.
Finally was able to test my locker Friday. 1. Need to hold the button for two seconds!
2. The traction control is disabled when you do this. No problem at low speed.
3. You do need to roll forward and turn enough for the lock in the diff can engage.
Sponsored