First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Alright everyone I need your help! I have recently been in contact with Harrop in Australia. I have been trying to figure out if they make either a Torsen or E Locker diff for the rear axle on our trucks for those of us who do not have a locker from the factory. At this time they do not but I do know they make parts for the Dana 44 already. As we all know the Dana 44 is the m220 that's in most of our trucks if you have a 4 by 4. After being in contact with them my most recent email from them states that if they get enough to mend they will start looking into development. Yes they're differentials are a bit costly but then again as we all know most things from Australia are pretty darn nice. If everyone here could do me a favor please contact them and ask them about development for these! It would be awesome if we could get these options for our trucks as soon as possible!
Sponsored

Subduction

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Std. cab, SWB Ranger 2x4, 2.5L, 5-sp; 2014 XV Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
If they get enough demand, I'm thinking. âś…

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
As we all know the Dana 44 is the m220 that's in most of our trucks if you have a 4 by 4.
from my understanding the advantek M220 axle is not quite the same as the standard D44.... similar in size, and based off the D44...I've heard it referred to as the 2nd generation of D44, but I wouldn't take that to mean the components will be interchangeable.

EDITed: Also, sounds like the M220 is the same rear axle as in some of the newer Jeeps so there's might be a bit of interchangeability/aftermarket compatibility there?

Last edited:

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ok, actually, I just did a tiny bit of googling, and looks like ARB is selling the same part number as the rear air locker, #RD245, for both the ranger and the jeep. M220 32 spline.

Last edited:

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Ok, actually, I just did a tiny bit of googling, and looks like ARB is selling the same part number as the rear air locker, #RD245, for both the ranger and the jeep. M220 32 spline.
Sweet! Had not pulled mine apart to count the splines yet.

Might mean the Spicer 10071929 lsd carrier is a bolt in too, there's hope!

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Also flirting with a rear locker, the ARB setup appears to be the only option at the moment, would love to see an E-Locker option. Competition brings out the best products and price.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after watching this particular video I'm starting to lean away from the e-locker. As they are better than no locker the air locker will be better over all. How so? Well you can implement on board air at the same time and an air locker will stay engaged when it is engaged. The video will explain.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
And something else too add is I plan on doing a rear air locker with a Torsen diff up front(when they decide to make on) and here is a good example as to why.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Good vids ! does TJM make a locker for the Ranger yet ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not for the ones in the U.S. that i am aware of. I plan to go with the ARB since they are known to have GOOD quality stuff. For example, I have the Old Man EMU lift and it is nice. Could it do better with the BP-51 shocks? Of course it can but that is still under development at this time.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well after watching this particular video I'm starting to lean away from the e-locker. As they are better than no locker the air locker will be better over all. How so? Well you can implement on board air at the same time and an air locker will stay engaged when it is engaged. The video will explain.

this is great info.

something to consider though, with an auto transmission, the chances of ever experiencing the 1/2 turn disengagement when you roll back is very unlikely.

Also I'm curious if the ford OE locker operates the same way... I may have to do some testing. I haven't noticed anything like that so far.

AND, air lockers aren't exactly fool proof either. air lines can pretty easily start to leak, and cause your lockers not to engage properly. I've actually been on the trail several times with people who didn't know they had a leak until they needed to switch their lockers on, and then they were SOL.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
this is great info.

something to consider though, with an auto transmission, the chances of ever experiencing the 1/2 turn disengagement when you roll back is very unlikely.

Also I'm curious if the ford OE locker operates the same way... I may have to do some testing. I haven't noticed anything like that so far.

AND, air lockers aren't exactly fool proof either. air lines can pretty easily start to leak, and cause your lockers not to engage properly. I've actually been on the trail several times with people who didn't know they had a leak until they needed to switch their lockers on, and then they were SOL.
I'm pretty sure the factory E locker works the same since it is an Eaton. And I cant argue your logic on the air lines. Something to consider though is if you use a high quality air line and check it regularly along with having it routed correctly chances are you should be fine. Also if your truck came equipped with a factory e locker than I would just leave it. To much work to chamge that out in my opinion.

jleds

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Any word on a rear (and possibly front) torsen diff? Would love to put both on the Ranger. Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation