First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
First time with this. I had never had a rig with this option. What are you guys thoughts about it. I think it could come in handy in certain conditions in the winter.
Sponsored

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
First time with this. I had never had a rig with this option. What are you guys thoughts about it. I think it could come in handy in certain conditions in the winter.
As your sidekick I must strongly recommend it, I am a florida man so I don't have a ton of experience with snow and ice apart from some very cold trips to family up in vermont and there the snow was fairly similar to driving in sand so yeah it would be useful also being able to lock the wheels together if one is spinning on ice would also be useful

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
As your sidekick I must strongly recommend it, I am a florida man so I don't have a ton of experience with snow and ice apart from some very cold trips to family up in vermont and there the snow was fairly similar to driving in sand so yeah it would be useful also being able to lock the wheels together if one is spinning on ice would also be useful
Utilize a rear locker Very carefully and Sparingly on snowy/icy conditions. Would be better to just use 4x4 and “snow” traction mode if equipped. (He said as Nicely as he could lol).

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I've only had my ranger since april, so no experience with it yet since theres no where to test it here in this shit city/state.

That said, I got it for those times I find myself in deep snow which maybe happens twice a year and need to get going from a stop, not for any off roading fun.

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
It just happened to be in the truck I bought. If I ordered one. I probably wouldn't have included it. I would have used the 420.00 option on something else.

Reactions: Doc

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
It turns your truck into a Billy goat and you'll never buy another truck without one once you figure it out.
Most 4x4's have open rear ends, hence the name, tripods.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I use my locker infrequently, usually in tight spots on steeper/rocky trail sections. I can't remember the last time I used it in the winter. Not saying I wouldn't use it if conditions required it, just not something that happens where I go.

Locking rear diffs can make the difference between getting through a challenging low traction spot or going sideways and getting stuck.

If you are going off road much, a locking rear diff is a no brainer option to spec.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Winter driving? Questionable. Its really intended for OffRoad driving for conditions where you need traction but you are lifting tires off the ground. To say the least i wish my 2019 Ranger had thay option but it did not. My 1993 Pathfinder has a limited slip diff(works real well too) and it is a better than an open diff OffRoad

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
The locker can be an "exciting" experience in snowy/icy conditions, usually when you're making a turn.

During a turn, the inside tire of your axle is moving more slowly than the outside tire. The differential allows this to happen.

When the locker is engaged, the tires are forced to move at the same speed which means that one side of the axle is going to be forced to slip. this is why mechanical lockers will "clunk" during a turn in a parking lot. In a loose traction condition that tire losing traction usually results in both tires losing traction and the rear will come around.

My Bronco has a Detroit locker in the rear (automatic mechanical locker) and I NEVER apply power in a turn when in rain or snow or I can guarantee that the rear will step out with a lurch. Just making a turn in a parking lot will result in chirping the 35" MTs.

I have a Detroit TruTrack in the front axle of my Bronco and if I knew then what I know now I would have one of those in the rear instead of the locker.

A locker is awesome for slow off road conditions, or even fast conditions when you are going straight. But they can be "tricky" in the snow or the rain.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me, I was driving thru mountains so I push the tow haul button, but I pushed the locking rear dif. button by mistake. In the next town I was driving in the store parking lot and heard squeeling tires when turning. I then realized my mistake and turned off the locker. I think that the locker is disengaged at a certain speed but will engage again when below that speed. I would be curious to know how the locker works as to the locking mechanism and the speed controls. I am assuming that I didnt break anything.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
This happened to me, I was driving thru mountains so I push the tow haul button, but I pushed the locking rear dif. button by mistake. In the next town I was driving in the store parking lot and heard squeeling tires when turning. I then realized my mistake and turned off the locker. I think that the locker is disengaged at a certain speed but will engage again when below that speed. I would be curious to know how the locker works as to the locking mechanism and the speed controls. I am assuming that I didnt break anything.
I think it’s20 mph

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I'll use it carefully. Probably only in deep snow getting in and out of the driveway. Thanks!
It just happened to be in the truck I bought. If I ordered one. I probably wouldn't have included it. I would have used the 420.00 option on something else.
Only used it once in the driveway.

Berm buster 013121.jpg

Tracks 013021.jpg

Berm 013021.jpg

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
Back in the day that was a light storm here! Now. We get a few good ones in the winter. Lake effect storms can be brutal.
Sponsored