First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
My 2005 FX4 had very little in the way of skid plates - nothing up front - there might have been a bit underneath, but nothing like this truck has.
That's exactly my point, your 2019 has the FX-4 package, evidently it is the ONLY way to get factory installed underbody protection, this is not an option for 4x4 buyers who did not opt for the FX-4 package.
If I am not mistaken, both my '81 and '86 F-150 4x4's at least offered a skid plate package as an option, of which I did specify. (Both were special ordered).
Perhaps some Ford armchair accounting execs idea of 4 wheeling is climbing curbs.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
I see where your Lariat is a 4x4, are you telling me that Ford did not outfit your truck with any skid plates at all? Am I correct in assuming that the only way to get such protection is to opt for the FX-4 package?
If I remember correctly when I special ordered my truck that Ford did not offer a optional skid plate package at all, I may have sprung for it because of what I know now.
But to not make it standard equipment on ALL 4x4's is just lame...
I have the XLT 4x4 Sport and have all of the skid plates. I checked my step dad's FX4 4x4 as well and his is also protected. Curious if other FX2's are the same as yours?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Indeed, I would have paid more for the FX-2 package just for the added protection because of what I know now about the un-protected steering gear.
Better still, they should have offered a skid plate option across the board.
It appears that the non FX-4 equipped 4x4's have no skid plates at all, that's ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous, it's much of the difference between FX4 and non-FX4. As far as I know, jeep is the only manufacturer to put skid plates on every trim of their truck, but that's their market. What would be ridiculous would be adding that much weight to every truck, even if it is never expected to go off-road--especially if you consider how much money the manufacturers have spent trying to shave off 50 or 100 pounds.

Not everybody buys a 4x4 to take it rock crawling, and of those who do, many specifically don't want OEM plates because they'd just take end up ripping them off to upgrade anyway.

It's not like bolting the plate to the bottom of the truck is a huge undertaking if you decide you want to add it...though you might look at 3rd party offerings to see if there's something you like better than OEM.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the XLT 4x4 Sport and have all of the skid plates. I checked my step dad's FX4 4x4 as well and his is also protected. Curious if other FX2's are the same as yours?
The FX2 doesn't get the skid plates from the FX4, it's mostly an air dam delete up front with a small plate to replace the air dam and make it look like the FX4 styling and maybe protect the bottom of the radiator in a parking lot. I think a lot of people expected the same underbody protection on the FX2 from the name, but it is significantly cheaper than FX4 (by about the cost of the rest of the skid plates? :crackup:)

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
[QUOTE="VAMike, post: 110081, member: 972"]It's not ridiculous, it's much of the difference between FX4 and non-FX4. As far as I know, jeep is the only manufacturer to put skid plates on every trim of their truck, but that's their market. What would be ridiculous would be adding that much weight to every truck, even if it is never expected to go off-road--especially if you consider how much money the manufacturers have spent trying to shave off 50 or 100 pounds.

Not everybody buys a 4x4 to take it rock crawling, and of those who do, many specifically don't want OEM plates because they'd just take end up ripping them off to upgrade anyway.

It's not like bolting the plate to the bottom of the truck is a huge undertaking if you decide you want to add it...though you might look at 3rd party offerings to see if there's something you like better than OEM.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, you are entitled to your own opinions as well as I, so obviously we agree to disagree on what I STILL consider to be ridiculous.

As for your quip about "bolting the plate to the bottom of the truck is a huge undertaking", if you had read my post about Ford offering it as a separate option package across the board perhaps, you would understand that some buyers may find the factory offering satisfactory, myself included.

Perhaps you are unaware that I have seen the underside of quite possibly a thousand vehicles both in my almost 14 years as a mechanic and 28.5 as a firefighter.

Tell me please sir, how many motor vehicle accidents/fires/extrications have you been to? Have you ever had to assist morgue personnel in gathering and packaging human remains, some burnt beyond normal procedures in determining their gender? Some of these scenes were results of the fuel tank being punctured on certain 4x4 vehicles in which there was ZERO underside protection for the tank.

It is my sincere hope that these poor souls were already deceased prior to the flames consuming their flesh.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
It's not ridiculous, it's much of the difference between FX4 and non-FX4. As far as I know, jeep is the only manufacturer to put skid plates on every trim of their truck, but that's their market. What would be ridiculous would be adding that much weight to every truck, even if it is never expected to go off-road--especially if you consider how much money the manufacturers have spent trying to shave off 50 or 100 pounds.

It's not like bolting the plate to the bottom of the truck is a huge undertaking if you decide you want to add it...though you might look at 3rd party offerings to see if there's something you like better than OEM.

Or some of us want them for a while so we have some level of protection until we've worked out our solution to what we could do to improve them and then maybe eventually may sell the stock ones once our new ones go on.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/psweeneys-adventure-ranger.5871/page-3#post-101225

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Well, you are entitled to your own opinions as well as I, so obviously we agree to disagree on what I STILL consider to be ridiculous.

As for your quip about "bolting the plate to the bottom of the truck is a huge undertaking", if you had read my post about Ford offering it as a separate option package across the board perhaps, you would understand that some buyers may find the factory offering satisfactory, myself included.

Perhaps you are unaware that I have seen the underside of quite possibly a thousand vehicles both in my almost 14 years as a mechanic and 28.5 as a firefighter.

Tell me please sir, how many motor vehicle accidents/fires/extrications have you been to? Have you ever had to assist morgue personnel in gathering and packaging human remains, some burnt beyond normal procedures in determining their gender? Some of these scenes were results of the fuel tank being punctured on certain 4x4 vehicles in which there was ZERO underside protection for the tank.

It is my sincere hope that these poor souls were already deceased prior to the flames consuming their flesh.

This is a much harsher (and obviously because of the personal connection your feelings on the matter are stronger) critique of another problem all manufacturers have nowadays in my opinion (and I understand the reasons behind it...somewhat, but still...). Why do we only have a plastic protective plate for the tank? In my opinion, that's the most important thing that needs protecting under there and I've seen too many race trucks even with very strong protection that end up with punctured tanks and thankfully in my life I've never seen one personally end in tragedy, but it's a big problem and thanks to the newer fire suppression systems tech. That's the first underbody protection I will be looking at after I sort out my bumper situation I have my development version of above which includes skid all the way back to the crossmember since we don't have the luxury of built in fire suppression should the worst situation arise. Unfortunately we can account for 1000 things and Ford certainly has it's a very well designed and engineered truck in my opinion generally, but the 1 we could never have even imagined was possible can sometimes be the one that gets you in this world.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So buy it. I really don't understand why you keep complaining, like this isn't a simple thing to customize. Steering gear wasn't dramatic enough so you needed to involve flaming gas tanks? How many of those have you seen on t6 rangers to suggest a weak design, or was the argument just better with extra fud?

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So buy it. I really don't understand why you keep complaining, like this isn't a simple thing to customize. Steering gear wasn't dramatic enough so you needed to involve flaming gas tanks? How many of those have you seen on t6 rangers to suggest a weak design, or was the argument just better with extra fud?
Who exactly is complaining haole?

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Indeed, I've already private messaged Benny @ Levittown Ford parts.com an inquired about item # 5C076 shown on the attached image. I can forward you his response if you like.
Ford calls this plate the EPAS protector so I am certain it should do the trick. There are already four 8mm. tapped holes in crossmembers 1&2, 2 in each member.
I don't plan on doing any rock climbing with my 4x2, but it is a truck. To be honest with you, if it was a Toyota or Honda, some kind of protection would be provided.
Yet another win for the Ford beancounters, I suppose.
FYI: The item "5C076 - Shield" is the "assembly" Description... the actual Part # is 5B018 for both 4x2 and 4x4
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/clutch-parts/plate-9414087-1

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
FYI: The item "5C076 - Shield" is the "assembly" Description... the actual Part # is 5B018 for both 4x2 and 4x4
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/transmission/clutch-parts/plate-9414087-1
Yep, I added it to my list of things to buy after crawling under the truck for the first time a few weeks back. Tasca currently want $68 + shipping - https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-front-shield-kb3z5b018a. Don't need to go off roading with the hazards one can find on the highway.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport

man, I’m new to this thread, but the skid on the fx4 fuel tank is definitely plastic... not even thick plastic.

I'm sure you’ll not be burned to a crisp by a fuel tank rupture any less with a plastic skid than no skid at all.
Sponsored