First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Last truck was 2wd and I spent 3 winters in Chicago with it. One winter we had 30" over night. I never needed 4wd. However it was lunch box locker by lock right. So it was on when throttle was applied and off when light on the throttle. A fully locked rear end in snow and ice can spell disaster if you are not experienced with it. If you have any history or racing or drifting you should be fine. I would recommend testing it in an empty parking lot first snow fall.

The back end gets away from you very quickly. Just an FYI to be very cautious. Otherwise we will have cars and coffee videos featuring our ranger friends instead of mustangs.
Sponsored

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I use my locker somewhat often when off road. It really makes up for the IFS lack of articulation when compared to a solid front axle. I've gotten myself into plenty of ruts where I'd spin open and power through it no problem with the rear locked.

Only times I really need the locker are in areas of heavy articulation where I am lifting a wheel or two.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
First time with this. I had never had a rig with this option. What are you guys thoughts about it. I think it could come in handy in certain conditions in the winter.
It comes handy here in SoCal dessert and mountains.

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I would like to have gotten a locker, but I haven’t missed it so far. The simulated posi track ABS stuff is pretty impressive. I’m at Land Between the Lakes this weekend, and I was able to pull through some three wheel scenarios pretty easily.

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Pretty much needed in these trucks with how much they lift wheels in the air under articulation.
I was wheel up yesterday without issue. The abs gimmick kept my other wheeel turning. Everyone else in my group had to power through the same part of the trail. I just applied enough for the wheel touching (no locker) to get me through. Not saying a locker is somehow bad, but these trucks will surprise you even without.

BB6FD38B-AC92-4CFA-85BD-D5DCACBE0FEB.jpeg

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
It just happened to be in the truck I bought. If I ordered one. I probably wouldn't have included it. I would have used the 420.00 option on something else.
Its cheap insurance when you need the extra traction. BTW Proper Tires and 4WD will be far better than the locker. If you see lots of Snow consider trying to find some Bronco Steelies and use these with some nice winter tires.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I would like to have gotten a locker, but I haven’t missed it so far. The simulated posi track ABS stuff is pretty impressive. I’m at Land Between the Lakes this weekend, and I was able to pull through some three wheel scenarios pretty easily.
i was thinking the same thing, the computer wizardry controlling the brakes works pretty well.

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
Its cheap insurance when you need the extra traction. BTW Proper Tires and 4WD will be far better than the locker. If you see lots of Snow consider trying to find some Bronco Steelies and use these with some nice winter tires.
Thats a good idea. Thanks!

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
First time with this. I had never had a rig with this option. What are you guys thoughts about it. I think it could come in handy in certain conditions in the winter.
It works great but honestly there's almost no on-road use for it. If you're in REALLY deep snow maybe - like 2 feet or more. Typical road snow not so much; 4H with the snow mode is all the more you'll likely need on road. I just did 800 miles through the back country in Wyoming; I was in 2WD for 90% of it, 4H with applicable terrain mode selected (mostly just so I could try them; they really weren't needed but they did make subtle differences. Sand mode was especially noticable and did help) for the other 10% and I used the locker twice the whole time, and even then it really wasn't needed, it just made technical sections easier and allowed me to do less damage to the trail. It's is also very useful for pulling boats up slippery launches.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
Yeah. I thought that for the most part that I'd have limited to no use for it. I guess I'll wait and see.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. I thought that for the most part that I'd have limited to no use for it. I guess I'll wait and see.
It's one of those things that because you have it, you won't need it much. If you didn't have it, you'd need it all the time lol. Off-roading is much easier with a locker and allows you to be more controlled in certain areas and certain obstacles because it addresses wheel lift and slippage.

Here's a YouTube channel I follow with some good locker info and demonstration on the difference between having it engaged and not (disregard the click-bait, debate enticing title) - skip to around the 7:45 mark if you want to skip the history lesson and some of his ranting and just want to see the difference between locker and no locker. Dude has a bunch of good videos on all sorts of overlanding and off-roading topics.

Last edited:

BiilyJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I haven't been to turkey bay in years. Hi neighbor ?

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
ive only used mine to try it out.
it functioned.

but otherwise i have little to no use for it
Same. I engage it more just to engage it and make sure it works than I ever will to actually apply it to a needs based situation. Same with 4L. Once a month or so I go to a local preserve with crap roads and just run through the various modes - 4H, 4L, locker, trail control, etc just to make sure the various actuators, motors, and moving bits that make it all work are getting engaged and move. I had an older 4WD that I never used anything other than 2WD on and when I actually needed to switch to 4WD, it wouldn't engage because things had frozen and rusted in place.
Sponsored