First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I own 2020 Lariat S/Cab with the FX-2 package (4x2) and noticed just how vulnerable the electronic power steering motor (EPAS) is just aft the number 2 crossmember.
The motor itself does appear to be adequately protected from forward impacts as it does not extend below the crossmember itself, but any ground obstacle beyond that point will damage it severely.
Does anyone know of a manufacturer who might produce a skid plate for this area only?
Not looking for an entire front skid/bash plate, just one which mounts to numbers 2 & 3 crossmembers, there appears to be four 8mm. tapped holes already, 2 in each crossmember.
Not planning to do any serious off roading, just looking for insurance for now.
20200220_120818.jpg
20200220_120849.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that recently as well when I was under my truck and thought the same thing. Wow these wires are very exposed. Interested in finding something as well.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I saw that recently as well when I was under my truck and thought the same thing. Wow these wires are very exposed. Interested in finding something as well.
Indeed, I've already private messaged Benny @ Levittown Ford parts.com an inquired about item # 5C076 shown on the attached image. I can forward you his response if you like.
Ford calls this plate the EPAS protector so I am certain it should do the trick. There are already four 8mm. tapped holes in crossmembers 1&2, 2 in each member.
I don't plan on doing any rock climbing with my 4x2, but it is a truck. To be honest with you, if it was a Toyota or Honda, some kind of protection would be provided.
Yet another win for the Ford beancounters, I suppose.

skidplates.jpg

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, learn something new everyday here. Appears 4X4 only gets the plate. Ford surprises me with these little cheap outs. Definitely get one of those on there. That's one expensive part exposed.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
Wow, learn something new everyday here. Appears 4X4 only gets the plate. Ford surprises me with these little cheap outs. Definitely get one of those on there. That's one expensive part exposed.
Honestly, it makes sense when they're making the volume of trucks they are (not that I don't think they should all have it bc I agree just economically it makes sense). All of the different asks people have for these midsize trucks have pushed the prices so high already that they will continue to rise if people keep asking for more stuff as standard.

Most people buying these trucks are using them as dailies, grocery getters, and just driving on decent roads. They don't really need those protective items unless they live in places with truly horrible roads and debris like here in the...not so great state of CA. But you do get them all stock on the FX4 and I believe FX2 as well if you do plan on offroading whether that's on trails or just on our roads that are worse than some trails I've taken mine on.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But the OP has an FX2 and that was my point

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Honestly, it makes sense when they're making the volume of trucks they are (not that I don't think they should all have it bc I agree just economically it makes sense). All of the different asks people have for these midsize trucks have pushed the prices so high already that they will continue to rise if people keep asking for more stuff as standard.

Most people buying these trucks are using them as dailies, grocery getters, and just driving on decent roads. They don't really need those protective items unless they live in places with truly horrible roads and debris like here in the...not so great state of CA. But you do get them all stock on the FX4 and I believe FX2 as well if you do plan on offroading whether that's on trails or just on our roads that are worse than some trails I've taken mine on.
No Sir, my 2020 is equipped with the FX-2 package and it has zero skid plates, had Ford included plates in the FX-2 package (at additional cost, of course) I would have still sprung for the package.
My primary concern is the steering gear for now, it looks to be VERY expensive, I just assume pay an additional $200 or so now rather than God knows how much for the component later.

BTW, I've read your posts on the infamous Ranger "bounce" and found it to be very informative, you obviously know the subject very well.:like:

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any luck with your search for skid plates on the member marketplace yet?
I was perusing that forum with hopes of finding what Ford calls the "EPAS plate" for sale and noticed your post.

psweeney

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 (well, it started that way)
No Sir, my 2020 is equipped with the FX-2 package and it has zero skid plates, had Ford included plates in the FX-2 package (at additional cost, of course) I would have still sprung for the package.
My primary concern is the steering gear for now, it looks to be VERY expensive, I just assume pay an additional $200 or so now rather than God knows how much for the component later.

BTW, I've read your posts on the infamous Ranger "bounce" and found it to be very informative, you obviously know the subject very well.:like:

Weird! You'd think they'd do it thanks for the info (I had a friend get one with it but maybe he bought the plate at the dealer when he bought the truck).

And thanks I'm trying to sort it out correctly re the bounce bc with all the "knowledge" floating around on some of these issues like the bounce and others I've seen some truly dangerous (either to your safety or to your wallet) fixes/accessories come out for this truck already and I want to do it right.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is 4x4 and came with all the skids. Just surprised yours didn't. Looks like you'll have to order the 5C076 from your local dealer.

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Pay more get more :bandit:

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is 4x4 and came with all the skids. Just surprised yours didn't. Looks like you'll have to order the 5C076 from your local dealer.
To be fair the FX4 package is $1,295 and the FX2 is only $595. Though I am surprised Ford didn't make it cost a bit more and throw in some underbody armor.

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see where your Lariat is a 4x4, are you telling me that Ford did not outfit your truck with any skid plates at all? Am I correct in assuming that the only way to get such protection is to opt for the FX-4 package?
If I remember correctly when I special ordered my truck that Ford did not offer a optional skid plate package at all, I may have sprung for it because of what I know now.
But to not make it standard equipment on ALL 4x4's is just lame...

OP
OP
Mokume

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To be fair the FX4 package is $1,295 and the FX2 is only $595. Though I am surprised Ford didn't make it cost a bit more and throw in some underbody armor.
Indeed, I would have paid more for the FX-2 package just for the added protection because of what I know now about the un-protected steering gear.
Better still, they should have offered a skid plate option across the board.
It appears that the non FX-4 equipped 4x4's have no skid plates at all, that's ridiculous.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Indeed, I would have paid more for the FX-2 package just for the added protection because of what I know now about the un-protected steering gear.
Better still, they should have offered a skid plate option across the board.
It appears that the non FX-4 equipped 4x4's have no skid plates at all, that's ridiculous.
My 2005 FX4 had very little in the way of skid plates - nothing up front - there might have been a bit underneath, but nothing like this truck has.
Sponsored