Rear Differential service

MookieNC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Am I Crazy or did Ford delete the rear differential drain plug? Trying to do a Rear diff fluid change at 5k on my 2021 Ranger. Just a precaution to remove any metal from break in. I know where the drain plug location should be, but the only plug I can see is the fill plug. Forum has resources that show pictures and even video of location but it was on a 2020. Could the 2021 Diff have been changed? Am I supposed to use a vacuum pump and hose to suck the fluid from the fill location? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Am I Crazy or did Ford delete the rear differential drain plug? Trying to do a Rear diff fluid change at 5k on my 2021 Ranger. Just a precaution to remove any metal from break in. I know where the drain plug location should be, but the only plug I can see is the fill plug. Forum has resources that show pictures and even video of location but it was on a 2020. Could the 2021 Diff have been changed? Am I supposed to use a vacuum pump and hose to suck the fluid from the fill location? Any help would be appreciated.
Hi Michael,

Pull the rear diff cover......

best,
Phil

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
i usually just drill a 3/8 hole and fill it with a rubber grommet.
it becomes easier to change my diff oil every 1000 miles when i do that.
My last blackstone analysis was pretty cruddy, so I change it frequently now.
oils cheap.
You sure that isn’t the plug in your head bro? ? Just checkin

OP
OP
MookieNC

MookieNC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Hey Phil
Figured I might hear from ya. Just curious, why'd they do away with the drain plug? Too convenient? Seriously though, when I pull of the diff cover, is there a gasket to replace or something else to ensure good seal?

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
It's part of an annual contest geared towards being the 1st person to see what Ford does away with next , you earned the prize for 2021, Ford makes it progressively more challenging as the engine cover, gear shift indicator lights, pencil tray , bed tie downs weren't that difficult. What will be next ?

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
Hey Phil
Figured I might hear from ya. Just curious, why'd they do away with the drain plug? Too convenient? Seriously though, when I pull of the diff cover, is there a gasket to replace or something else to ensure good seal?
Black rtv is all you need.

PltFX4

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2109 Ranger Lariat FX4
Yes, you're crazy... LOL... not really...

001.JPG

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
So is there similar concern about the front diff?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Phil
Hi Michael,

Not sure if it was Dana or Ford... More likely Dana and Ford said okay as long as you give us some $ reduction in piece price... JMO.... This one is certainly one that most customers will never notice but the DYI folks will certainly be inconvenienced...

Best,
Phil

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Do they still put a magnet on the drain plug or somewhere in the differentials?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Hey Phil
The diff fluid has a 150,000 mile service interval. I guess they figured most trucks will be in a junk yard before they need service.

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
I have a 21 lariat I just did mine at 10,000 miles it does have a drain plug and I fill plug. Went to the dealer got 2 quarts $18.00 it’s a five minute job. I have no metal shavings on my magnet in the oil was barely dirty

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have a 21 lariat I just did mine at 10,000 miles it does have a drain plug and I fill plug. Went to the dealer got 2 quarts $18.00 it’s a five minute job. I have no metal shavings on my magnet in the oil was barely dirty
My 21 has 2 plugs as well.