Rear brakes are grinding and need new pads at 23k

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
I brought the truck to the dealer recently as I was experiencing a grinding sound coming from the wheels when coasting at a low speed. The sound is not amplified at all when hitting the gas or brakes, it's just audible as soon as the wheels start rolling. Dealer said the read pads are worn and need to be replaced which they quoted at $550. The truck has 23k miles on it and I was told the brakes are only covered for 16k miles/18 months. It seems there is an underlying issue that is causing the brakes to wear so quickly but the service department seems mostly incompetent and could only quote the brake service. I'm taking the truck to a different dealer tomorrow. My two questions are:

If the brake pads are worn out, is it normal for them to make a grinding sound when coasting without applying the brakes?

Does the warranty period for the brakes (16k miles/18 months) only apply to pads and rotors or is that for the entire braking system (calipers, etc)?

I searched the archives here and found a few posts about premature wear on the rear brakes so this seems to be a common issue with the Ranger.
Sponsored

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
That is way too early for brake failure, especially for the rear. There has to be a cause. Perhaps there is something wrong with the parking brake interfering with normal braking. Are they sure it's not a premature wheel bearing failure?

OP
OP
upnorthranger

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
That is way too early for brake failure, especially for the rear. There has to be a cause. Perhaps there is something wrong with the parking brake interfering with normal braking. Are they sure it's not a premature wheel bearing failure?
I asked them about the parking brake and whether it was stuck and was told no. I can't feel any rolling resistance that would indicate it being stuck either.

My initial thought was also a wheel bearing issue but they told me it's the rear brakes. I'm not impressed with this dealer though and will be interested to see what the other dealership says.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
My initial thought was also a wheel bearing issue but they told me it's the rear brakes. I'm not impressed with this dealer though and will be interested to see what the other dealership says.
Keep us posted.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
The rear brakes only contributes 20% to brake stopping. My guess is bad caliper(s) or as others mentioned bearing failures. Both have happened to 5G’s but rare all the same. Your warranty should cover both in entirety

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Something definitely wrong.
My 'only' issue with the brakes was the right front hose was installed
'wrong' & it was rubbing on the wheel. This of course was not good for the hose as it wore through & a loss of brakes ensued.
Dealer fixed.

RangerBill

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Crew FX4
Occupation
retired
I brought the truck to the dealer recently as I was experiencing a grinding sound coming from the wheels when coasting at a low speed. The sound is not amplified at all when hitting the gas or brakes, it's just audible as soon as the wheels start rolling. Dealer said the read pads are worn and need to be replaced which they quoted at $550. The truck has 23k miles on it and I was told the brakes are only covered for 16k miles/18 months. It seems there is an underlying issue that is causing the brakes to wear so quickly but the service department seems mostly incompetent and could only quote the brake service. I'm taking the truck to a different dealer tomorrow. My two questions are:

If the brake pads are worn out, is it normal for them to make a grinding sound when coasting without applying the brakes?

Does the warranty period for the brakes (16k miles/18 months) only apply to pads and rotors or is that for the entire braking system (calipers, etc)?

I searched the archives here and found a few posts about premature wear on the rear brakes so this seems to be a common issue with the Ranger.
Some on here have reported dirt (mud) that collected in the groove in the brake pads causing noise/grinding. Might be worth a check.

Last edited:

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
I dealt with this topic just lately and rear brakes should not cause any worries for a long-long time.
Did you ask how much was left of pads and what was the condition of them?
I haven’t met any need for change of calipers on vehicles with so low mileage.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
There is a theory that traction control/AdvanceTrac is always pumping the rear brakes even when the light doesn't come on. I turn mine off every time I start the truck so they don't wear down. On gravel roads I can tell a difference too. On it feels like the rear end is weighted down. Off it bounces more over ruts and such.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
There is a theory that traction control/AdvanceTrac is always pumping the rear brakes even when the light doesn't come on. I turn mine off every time I start the truck so they don't wear down. On gravel roads I can tell a difference too. On it feels like the rear end is weighted down. Off it bounces more over ruts and such.

It's not a strong theory.

OP
OP
upnorthranger

upnorthranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Thanks for the suggestion but I've tried driving this truck with the traction control off and it's not good. The rear end fishtails very easily.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
As others stated it is way too early for brake failure. I never had the issue with mine and I had around 54K. Most brakes(as long as not dragging) can last up to or past in some cases 100K

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Getting told 550$ for a pad-slap is grounds for the service advisor to get slapped with something else.
My thoughts too. If it ain't warranty I'll just do it myself. Situation is ridiculous.
Sponsored