Brakes need improvement

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I guess to cry so maybe the incompetent engineers @Ford who designed the brake system can do a better job. I could have bought another product but I shelled out almost 46k for theirs. I finally gave a domestic manufacturer a chance. I shouldn't have to spend additional $ for better brakes.
Car and driver didn't think the ranger brakes were that good compared with several competitors. I kind of agree with their comments that the pedal response tends to be uneven, I'm used to it but it is a different feel. However if the brakes are shaking, that's another matter altogether.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...gladiator-chevrolet-colorado-honda-ridgeline/
Sponsored

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
The ranger's pedal feel is "interesting" to say the least. There's a ton of pedal assist, a decent sized dead spot at the top of the pedal, and the coupling of the engine braking with the 10 speed is sometimes not so smooth when coming to stop.

However the actual braking performance is beyond adequate. The majority of brake shimmy is from uneven pad transfer on the rotor, which is normally from pads not being properly bed in. Its pretty easy to spot there will be dark spots on the rotor.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The ranger's pedal feel is "interesting" to say the least. There's a ton of pedal assist, a decent sized dead spot at the top of the pedal, and the coupling of the engine braking with the 10 speed is sometimes not so smooth when coming to stop.

However the actual braking performance is beyond adequate. The majority of brake shimmy is from uneven pad transfer on the rotor, which is normally from pads not being properly bed in. Its pretty easy to spot there will be dark spots on the rotor.
Hi Al,

I have been recommending bedding of brakes for quite some time here and those who have done so have mostly commented it helped in performance feel. Whoa power is not the issue...brake feel. The brakes are not as liner as the old Ranger with its twin piston calipers on the front and drum brake rear. The thanks was a top notch engineer Tony R. He knew his stuff and delivered the best linearity braking in the history of light truck brakes.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Engmus

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Information Technology
Personally, I find the Ranger brakes to have fade\soft pedal feeling after awhile of driving.

My resolution will be, when the brakes are ready to be replaced, a full Motul fluid swap, Stainless Lines, and upgraded Rotors and Pads.

Brakes are consumables, I dont mind spending money when the OE set has been exhausted to improve the system as I can.
Sponsored