First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
I switched to the Ranger from Tacoma and the only thing I can recommend improving is the brakes. The brakes are just not adequate for the horsepower of the truck and at close to 19k miles, they have begun to shake during abrupt stops.
Sponsored

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Good morning and Welcome to the Ranger club @Ron45675 .

It's interesting you are finding the brakes inadequate. I have a 2020 Lariat and when first moving from my sports sedan I initially felt they were...soft. However, I was coming from a 2015 BMW 335i and have since learned that they are more than adequate and smooth. However, my truck is still almost brand new.

The 2020 Ranger has 12.1" - 4 Wheel disc brake setup whereby comparatively speaking the 2020 Taco has a 10." Disc/Drum set up, therefore I'd tend to agree with @RANGER PRIDE and wonder if it might be worth taking your truck in to have the rotors/pads inspected. Have you done any mods to suspension/tires as this can also contribute to the shaking you're experiencing.

Good luck!

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
As others have said, try pulling up and down on parking brake handle multiple times, it should adjust the rear pads up and shorten brake pedal travel. The shake is a rotor service issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ron45675

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
shaking can be from warped rotors.

warped rotors can happen to anyone for numerous reasons.

as for the horsepower complaint, thats likely driving style related.
the truck has best in class towing, so you can bet the brakes were matched to handle stopping heavier loads.

not sure what happens for you to need to do abrupt stops...but you might want to figure out how to stop that from happening. winters coming....you're gonna be reminded rudely about the ABS system as well.

OP
OP

Ron45675

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
shaking can be from warped rotors.

warped rotors can happen to anyone for numerous reasons.

as for the horsepower complaint, thats likely driving style related.
the truck has best in class towing, so you can bet the brakes were matched to handle stopping heavier loads.

not sure what happens for you to need to do abrupt stops...but you might want to figure out how to stop that from happening. winters coming....you're gonna be reminded rudely about the ABS system as well.
I do have a heavy foot and the horsepower of the Ranger is awesome. I have left both a Paw Paw Tundra and a Ram with Hemi in the rearview mirror after they thought they'd try and enbarass me because they had bigger engines.???? My concern is when you acellarre quickly and have to brake quickly, the brakes don't seem responsive enough.

Tito

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD Ranger, Not getting another, fuel in oil.
If your brakes "shake" during hard braking, sounds like rotors got overheated and are in need of inspection. The brake pedal will feel soft, its a Ranger thing. I still haven't gotten used to it but on occasion, they will grab suddenly which is always fun when I'm not expecting it. Other than that, I have not noticed inadequate braking.

OP
OP

Ron45675

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Good morning and Welcome to the Ranger club @Ron45675 .

It's interesting you are finding the brakes inadequate. I have a 2020 Lariat and when first moving from my sports sedan I initially felt they were...soft. However, I was coming from a 2015 BMW 335i and have since learned that they are more than adequate and smooth. However, my truck is still almost brand new.

The 2020 Ranger has 12.1" - 4 Wheel disc brake setup whereby comparatively speaking the 2020 Taco has a 10." Disc/Drum set up, therefore I'd tend to agree with @RANGER PRIDE and wonder if it might be worth taking your truck in to have the rotors/pads inspected. Have you done any mods to suspension/tires as this can also contribute to the shaking you're experiencing.

Good luck!
No mods to it.....I usually trade every 12 to 18 months so if I have an issue with the model, I'll buy a different vehicle. So far though I have been pleased with my Ranger....at least it doesn't have transmission issues like my Tacoma did.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
True but almost 46k for a truck.....The brakes should perform correctly
Well did you come here to cry about it or for suggestions? Correctly is a subjective term in this instance btw. As you see, most have no issues with the brakes working “correctly”.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a testament to how well Rangers brakes can wear when used with care...this is at 50,000+ miles with original pads (weighed in at 5,500 pounds loaded with gear)...rotors smooth and pads still have at least half life left...brake gently and avoid panic stops...?
IMG_6715.JPG
IMG_6716.JPG

OP
OP

Ron45675

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Well did you come here to cry about it or for suggestions? Correctly is a subjective term in this instance btw. As you see, most have no issues with the brakes working “correctly”.
I guess to cry so maybe the incompetent engineers @Ford who designed the brake system can do a better job. I could have bought another product but I shelled out almost 46k for theirs. I finally gave a domestic manufacturer a chance. I shouldn't have to spend additional $ for better brakes.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
Stopping power is OK and fit for purpose imo, the feel is something I think could be improved on in an update or aftermarket. I’ve also noticed they feel more confidence inspiring with less dive comparing my standard rwd to a dealer upgraded one I tried but that’s just my 2 cents

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
I guess to cry so maybe the incompetent engineers @Ford who designed the brake system can do a better job. I could have bought another product but I shelled out almost 46k for theirs. I finally gave a domestic manufacturer a chance. I shouldn't have to spend additional $ for better brakes.
Hey Ron,

Your occ. says you're in law enforcement so I hope you're not comparing your Ranger brakes to your FORD police interceptor. :LOL:

Their is ALWAYS something that we miss from a previous vehicle or are perhaps not 100% happy with when we move to something new. I miss memory seats as my wife has a completely different driving position than I do and we both love driving our Ranger...frustrating. :LOL:

@Msfitoy has clearly demonstrated his are still going strong after 50K so I'd again suggest taking them in to be inspected just in case. If something was manufactured/installed incorrectly they may even be deemed under warranty, you never know.

All said, the Ranger brakes are soft...but decent. The Ranger Raptor (I believe) or Roush Ranger didn't feel the need to upgrade them and Powerstop only offer upgraded pads and no rotor kits. I'm sure you can find an upgrade kit out there by someone but my point is this, if they "weren't adequate" the demand would be there and their would be a LOT of options available. Plus..with how freaking awesome the Roush team is they would have made it part of their upgraded beasts!

Let us know what they say after having them inspected and go easy on the pedal.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
True but almost 46k for a truck.....The brakes should perform correctly
If you feel the brakes are performing in correctly, Take it in and get them checked. There have been complaints of soft pedal feel by a few people. some of which found improper bleeding by the factory. Also proper bedding of the pads and the parking brake exercising has solved the travel issue for most. The vibration is a problem and needs to be checked out.
Now you are calling the engineers incompetent! I am sure there is testing done to ensure the brakes meet/exceed any safety standards required. This is a truck after all and not a high performance race car. Granted you may have higher expectations in the capability of certain systems of your vehicle Than the majority of us. That is your issue not ours or Fords. Remember companies only design for 90th percentile users, if that high. Otherwise we would be paying $100K for our trucks.

Many people here have upgraded their suspensions, added performance modifications to their engines and such at their own personal cost. This is to answer their personal wants or needs or just to make the truck their own. Nobody that I have seen has said the brakes are inadequate or unsafe in normal use.

By the way, shame on you for being in law enforcement and street racing your truck.
Sponsored