First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Just had to take my truck in for a passenger side axle seal leak, they had to order the parts. Is this a common issue? My truck is a September 2019 build that I bought new in December 2019 and has 16,500 miles.
Mine developed a leak on the driver side after only 64 miles. 2020 built in August, 2020. It took a week and a half to get the parts and that was after escalating. They also replaced the brake pads due to contamination.

My escalation through Ford did net me a free Ford Protect/Premium care warranty though....
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Just had to take my truck in for a passenger side axle seal leak, they had to order the parts. Is this a common issue? My truck is a September 2019 build that I bought new in December 2019 and has 16,500 miles.

They had to replace the seal with the entire halfshaft... I'm happy they decided to make a 600$ part dependent on a 12$ part.

JoeDirt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger xlt
They had to replace the seal with the entire halfshaft... I'm happy they decided to make a 600$ part dependent on a 12$ part.
I picked my truck up from repair today. When I saw what they had to replace I thought it was worse than it was. The service advisor said thats just the way it is designed. Seems really dumb to me. Hopefully I never have another issue with it.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
I picked my truck up from repair today. When I saw what they had to replace I thought it was worse than it was. The service advisor said thats just the way it is designed. Seems really dumb to me. Hopefully I never have another issue with it.
From my past experience, the shaft was probably the failed part. Happened on the early crown vic's too. Could be where the seal rides on the shaft is out of spec ie: too soft, too small diameter, to rough etc, killing the seal. I suspect the shaft was an updated part #.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From my past experience, the shaft was probably the failed part. Happened on the early crown vic's too. Could be where the seal rides on the shaft is out of spec ie: too soft, too small diameter, to rough etc, killing the seal. I suspect the shaft was an updated part #.
It doesn't matter which part fails, they are ordered as an assembly. Hopefully someone creates a seal kit someday before I need new ones.

Vaughan Customs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 1967 Mercury Cougar
I put on my Eibach suspension tonight and noticed a pretty big leak on the RT rear. So seems like depends on the dealer as to if they throw a new seal in and let you ride and others a new axle, pads, rotor and seal? There is definitely oil on my caliper and pads for sure. Just wondering how the conversations went with service advisors to make sure its covered. I have extended warranty as well hopefully that will mean something

20210204_163833.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the leak is that bad, there's literally only one (acceptable) answer.

They must replace the axle/seal/pad/rotor

The axle/seal are an assembly, they cannot be ordered separately. The Rotor/pad is now contaminated with entirely too much oil to salvage. They may have to do both sides depending on how many miles are on the truck.

Literally do not let them mess with you or you'll end up like me with 10+ visits to the dealer for brake jobs... IF they try to mess with you, call Ford Customer Care ASAP.

Vaughan Customs

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 1967 Mercury Cougar
If the leak is that bad, there's literally only one (acceptable) answer.

They must replace the axle/seal/pad/rotor

The axle/seal are an assembly, they cannot be ordered separately. The Rotor/pad is now contaminated with entirely too much oil to salvage. They may have to do both sides depending on how many miles are on the truck.

Literally do not let them mess with you or you'll end up like me with 10+ visits to the dealer for brake jobs... IF they try to mess with you, call Ford Customer Care ASAP.
Good advise. Thanks so much. I know they will want to say I have aftermarket suspension, tires and went off-road bla bla ect. But hopefully they do the right thing. I have just over 20k on the truck so yeah for a 20k mile truck and it bought a 4x4 so I mean the purpose for 4x4 is the ability to go off-road. May call a few dealers local and see how they act when I tell them to try and figure out who will be more apt to take care of it.

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o2o ford ranger xlt sport crew cab
Occupation
retired/disabled Veteran USMC
I'm waiting on an axle since May 17th for the same leakage. Apparently Dana has acknowledged an engineering defect, and is working on a solution. This is the note my parts guy read to me off my order about 1 hour ago.
[/QUOTE
You’re talking about May 20 21 I mean this year 2021?
I have the same issue just found it today my bearing that’s where is bad seals sipping a little has a flange taped it fits the hub bolts on to the axle housing not sure how that works
I don’t get my truck and or June 8 for them to go over everything because I’ve got Ford involved I have a Ford rep have a massive air leak on the passenger side somewhere body parts aren’t fitting to gather I have blue pinstriping on my truck

Majority of the iconic silver Rangers I have seen do not have pinstriping so I think they caught up in the accident already replaced the left rear leafspring at my own expense simply because I do not I will go back to my old dealership and throw it in their face literally
Disabled veteran treated me like shit selling me a piece of crap and I’m trying to get it fixed back together I got the knowledge of just physically unable to do so so I had to pay somebody else a marine brother of mine came down last week and put the leafspring in for me

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It was May 17th 2019 that I waited 6 months for the axle and seal.
Ok I know I’m kind of late in this thread I’ve been following it over since I bought this truck in February 21
Way too many things wrong with this truck been diagnosing everything myself taking it to Shoppes to fix and pay out of my own pocket and of course Ford gives me the Shmuel about well void the warranty well they had any qualified ASC mechanics wouldn’t have to go there
But I am keeping the Ford rep who’s working with me on this in the loop I just think it’s kind of drastic to pay $450 for an axle it’s only way you can buy the whole wheel bearing at all with it but I will wait till June 8 and see what they come up with a diagnostic cough cough

Should get interesting thank you for the input

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I know I’m kind of late in this thread I’ve been following it over since I bought this truck in February 21
Way too many things wrong with this truck been diagnosing everything myself taking it to Shoppes to fix and pay out of my own pocket and of course Ford gives me the Shmuel about well void the warranty well they had any qualified ASC mechanics wouldn’t have to go there
But I am keeping the Ford rep who’s working with me on this in the loop I just think it’s kind of drastic to pay $450 for an axle it’s only way you can buy the whole wheel bearing at all with it but I will wait till June 8 and see what they come up with a diagnostic cough cough

Should get interesting thank you for the input
Yup, it's highway robbery... Someone will make a bearing and seal kit eventually, but I suspect it won't be soon...

VinnHagakure

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yup, it's highway robbery... Someone will make a bearing and seal kit eventually, but I suspect it won't be soon...
No the seal is attached to the actual assembly right by the guess you called the flange or hub for the wheel for stud bolt bolt the axle to the housing itself and the bearings are inside that so basically when you unbolt those four
The whole assembly comes out there’s no need to go onto the differential papa clipper anything it’s got a Denna 3.54 in it axle code 73

What a sham

Only 6000 miles on this thing and I still have yet to figure out what’s going on with the airflow on the right passenger side

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No the seal is attached to the actual assembly right by the guess you called the flange or hub for the wheel for stud bolt bolt the axle to the housing itself and the bearings are inside that so basically when you unbolt those four
The whole assembly comes out there’s no need to go onto the differential papa clipper anything it’s got a Denna 3.54 in it axle code 73

What a sham

Only 6000 miles on this thing and I still have yet to figure out what’s going on with the airflow on the right passenger side
Either way, someone will make a bearing assembly. It sounds like a semi-floating axle.

there’s a tsb for the air thing, it could be a broken deflector motor. It’s a tough fox, but should be warranties if you are within miles.

if it’s not in warranty you can source just the motor and change it yourself.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Found this thread checking to see if there were any for axle seal leaks. All of you that had issues have they been resolved no problems after repair? Mine will be 2 yrs old on the 17th 29910 miles I noticed a small leak on the left rear when I was doing my 30,000 mile oil change & tire rotation.. Was not leaking when I did my 25,000 mile service. Can't get it in till the 24th guess we will see what they come up with. Will update when it gets serviced.
Sponsored