Rear axle leaking

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
They didn’t even bother to clean it off...

F3DD054F-EFD0-499D-9C77-253094ECD7AE.jpeg
Sponsored

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Update on my truck. I would have liked them to replace the rotors too, but I wasn’t willing to argue about it. Should it happen again, I’ll be in fighting mode. I’ll take more pics of the axle when I get home.

image.jpg
Glad they got it fixed up for you finally. I would still keep an eye on it to make sure no more issue arise. New rotors would have been nice I guess, but if they machined them properly they should be just about as good as new minus the .010" they took off.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad they got it fixed up for you finally. I would still keep an eye on it to make sure no more issue arise. New rotors would have been nice I guess, but if they machined them properly they should be just about as good as new minus the .010" they took off.
reason I was mad about the machining is that they machined them already the first time I took it in for brake issues. I’m going to degrease the axle and watch it for leaks.

it could have been worse, they could have slapped it full of permatex and sent me on my way.

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Update on my truck. I would have liked them to replace the rotors too, but I wasn’t willing to argue about it. Should it happen again, I’ll be in fighting mode. I’ll take more pics of the axle when I get home.

image.jpg
Thanks for posting that, sucks they didn't clean it either.

I was messaging my service adviser today and was going to see if you had an update as well. Taking it in this week, hopefully they will listen to me this time

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for posting that, sucks they didn't clean it either.

I was messaging my service adviser today and was going to see if you had an update as well. Taking it in this week, hopefully they will listen to me this time
Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know how it goes.
So I took it in, and they put it on the rack and I was invited back there with the tech and service writer. They assured me it was still only residual and offered to clean it again. At least it is noted it was here again. I feel satisfied for now I guess.

Talking with the tech I was able to learn he had completely removed the axle shaft on that side, cleaned the seal and checked the fluid on the previous visit. So at least I don't have to worry about low fluid or them not doing their due diligence I suppose.

I really hope it was residual and this is finally over. But I'm not too sure about that still. For now I will put the wheel spacers back on and hit the trails again and not think about checking it until the next oil change...

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
My driver rear axle seal is leaking now when I just went underneath to put on Eibachs I just noticed it. I am supposed to leave town Thursday so this is even more frustrating.

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My driver rear axle seal is leaking now when I just went underneath to put on Eibachs I just noticed it. I am supposed to leave town Thursday so this is even more frustrating.
Post a pic to see how bad

I was in the same situation. Took it in and told them I had a trip planned and they examined and said I would be fine. Drove it from So Cal to Mt. Rushmore and back no problem, it is still leaking a year later, I'm waiting for it to get all gummed up before I take it back in to ask them if they really think it is residual

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5590.jpg

It didnt seem that bad, but for 4k miles i was pretty upset when i saw it. I am guessing the level didnt even go down 1/2 oz or so. I brought it to the dealer at noon yesturday, they tore it down and ordered the axle seal. Its supposed to come in today they said it would be done tomorrow. They put me in a rental for free and said i can go wherever i want, so i cant really complain.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have now changed the axle, axle seal assembly, rotors (twice) and turned the rotors at least 4x on mine. 1. it's still greasy looking, I haven't cleaned it to see if it's actively leaking, and 2. Eating rear brakes every 500-1000 miles...

They told me the seal was not available outside of the axle assembly (it's a semi floater I guess), so I wouldn't be surprised when they say it's on back order.

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It didnt seem that bad, but for 4k miles i was pretty upset when i saw it. I am guessing the level didnt even go down 1/2 oz or so. I brought it to the dealer at noon yesturday, they tore it down and ordered the axle seal. Its supposed to come in today they said it would be done tomorrow. They put me in a rental for free and said i can go wherever i want, so i cant really complain.
Looks like mine. Seems like you got a great dealer too

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
They have now changed the axle, axle seal assembly, rotors (twice) and turned the rotors at least 4x on mine. 1. it's still greasy looking, I haven't cleaned it to see if it's actively leaking, and 2. Eating rear brakes every 500-1000 miles...

They told me the seal was not available outside of the axle assembly (it's a semi floater I guess), so I wouldn't be surprised when they say it's on back order.
Woah that is interesting, wonder why it keeps having an issue.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, I bet the dealership wonders why too...

Shameful that nobody can figure it out after 10+ trips to the dealer. That, or they know, and it's expensive, and they want me to give up and live with wobbly brakes.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Just got the truck back today, according to the work order they replaced the axle seal and axle assembly. Apparently it was done in two days, i just happened to have been out of town. Ive only put a few miles on it, they put 30 miles on it, and so far no leaks.
IMG_5732.jpg

OP
OP
Mustang2Ranger

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got the truck back today, according to the work order they replaced the axle seal and axle assembly. Apparently it was done in two days, i just happened to have been out of town. Ive only put a few miles on it, they put 30 miles on it, and so far no leaks.
IMG_5732.jpg
Please keep us updated if it leaks again

Glad to hear your story is not so bad as ours
Sponsored