port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I've had many opportunities to drive my '20 Ranger in the snow so far this winter around the Nelson, BC area. I use it in the winter as a home base for ski touring (actually splitboarding) and it will be used in the summer for mountain biking. I've had the chance to drive it in anything like the picture below with 1-2" of snow, right up to an unplowed road with almost 30" of snow. I can attest that these things are AWESOME in the snow. I did have a '12 Tundra before I bought this truck and in 4wd the ranger just feels so much more competent. I run 31" Goodyear Duratrac tires and they are ideal for everything except iced over roads. I also just got it back from a shop yesterday and have some major upgrades done, will be posting those when I have time to get out and take photos ;)

4874B62C-2C14-4D0C-BC46-5A54810A9646.jpeg
I have those tires as well and am very happy with them.
Sponsored

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I've had many opportunities to drive my '20 Ranger in the snow so far this winter around the Nelson, BC area. I use it in the winter as a home base for ski touring (actually splitboarding) and it will be used in the summer for mountain biking. I've had the chance to drive it in anything like the picture below with 1-2" of snow, right up to an unplowed road with almost 30" of snow. I can attest that these things are AWESOME in the snow. I did have a '12 Tundra before I bought this truck and in 4wd the ranger just feels so much more competent. I run 31" Goodyear Duratrac tires and they are ideal for everything except iced over roads. I also just got it back from a shop yesterday and have some major upgrades done, will be posting those when I have time to get out and take photos ;)

4874B62C-2C14-4D0C-BC46-5A54810A9646.jpeg
I look forward to seeing your new upgrades - don’t make us wait too long!

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
My brother had Duratrac's on his first gen Ranger (1992) in college (2010-15) and many times he was one of the few vehicles driving around in snow storms, of which there were many where we went to college. He was the guy every one of us called to pull us, or someone we knew, out. He is all over them now to either put them on his next truck/vehicle or get me to put them on mine. haha But as cool and nice as they are, I just can't do it. We get too little snow (80-100") and too much ice/cold here to make having such an aggressive tire that isn't great on the ice be worth it. In fact, the only accident he ever had with that truck was when he hit a sheet of ice on the highway and lost control. Ended up clipping a car sitting on the shoulder after loosing control itself. It bums me out that my logical side has won out, but that's the way it is. haha

1611247705963.png
That is a sweet old ranger! For sure, with tires you have to go with what makes sense for your average driving conditions. What I personally like about the Duratrac is that I can run them year round and they do great in mud as well as snow. They are overkill for alot of summer driving but I tend to be off-road fairly often in the summer time and it saves me having to buy two sets of wheels/tires. That being said, I have had my share of scary moments over the years hitting ice with duratracs, they are basically big hockey pucks. If I lived in an area that often has iced over or hard-packed snow roads, I would be looking at the best winter tires you can buy possibly with studs. We run studded Hakkapellita's on my wifes commuter subaru (mainly because I cant stand the thought of her crashing) and that car is an absolute tank for winter highway driving.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
That is a sweet old ranger! For sure, with tires you have to go with what makes sense for your average driving conditions. What I personally like about the Duratrac is that I can run them year round and they do great in mud as well as snow. They are overkill for alot of summer driving but I tend to be off-road fairly often in the summer time and it saves me having to buy two sets of wheels/tires. That being said, I have had my share of scary moments over the years hitting ice with duratracs, they are basically big hockey pucks. If I lived in an area that often has iced over or hard-packed snow roads, I would be looking at the best winter tires you can buy possibly with studs. We run studded Hakkapellita's on my wifes commuter subaru (mainly because I cant stand the thought of her crashing) and that car is an absolute tank for winter highway driving.
I would imagine that the Finns know a thing or two about shitty driving conditions.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
The wind was howling out of of the west earlier today and its was snowing, so that was system snow. It then switched to the north and really got to coming down which would be lake snow. Visibility went down to zero a few times. Lets see your ranger out in the snow! :clap:
P1080861.jpg
P1080869.jpg
P1080866.jpg
P1080871.jpg
P1080865.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
Have only had a couple of dustings in lower MI, not a happy camper!! Haven’t had a chance to try out the new truck yet!! Supposed to get the first measure snow tonight, 2”-4” which means a dusting maybe. Corner of I-69 and I-94 is not in the snow belt...

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I see all these nice clean snowy pics in here and wish that's what ours was like. As soon as we get any snow here, they are out dumping sand and salt/brine/chemicals all over the roads to melt the snow and ice. Here's what it looks like as soon as you drive anywhere, and it makes me sad. The poor vehicles here get so rusty underneath because of it too :headbang::crying:

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I see all these nice clean snowy pics in here and wish that's what ours was like. As soon as we get any snow here, they are out dumping sand and salt/brine/chemicals all over the roads to melt the snow and ice. Here's what it looks like as soon as you drive anywhere, and it makes me sad. The poor vehicles here get so rusty underneath because of it too :headbang::crying:

IMG_0895.JPG
We show clean snow photos because we take photos when its fresh. Since it snows here very often, like 6 days of the week, its pretty easy to get white, fresh snow photos.
Sponsored