Rangers in SNOW

bearrug

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4, 2023 ford Bronco Sport
We've had several small storms so far with it melting between which is fine with me! I know how it will be a couple of months from now.
Hopefully we will make it up there this year for the winter carnival
Sponsored

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I drove from LA to Ohio in late Nov early Dec in 1990. We had just lived in Hawaii an didn't have any real winter clothes. We stopped for gas in Flagstaff. I stepped out an about froze myself.

I installed new Nitto Terra Grapplers last month I'm wondering how they'll compare in the snow. The stock bridgestones were OK but anything over a few inches of snow required 4x4 since I didn't add any weight.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I’ve posted this one once or twice - but never in this thread. One of my favourite pics.
Living in Edmonton, we get our share of snow. This pic was just inside BC, before we had snow in Edmonton.

CE137DA5-4DF9-491C-9FC7-7C8F879BF6DB.jpeg

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Are you grooming trails with a piece of corrugated plastic pipe behind the ATV? I can't tell what I am looking at.
That's a roller. used on XC trails. We normally have pods on the Boss but with snow so shallow, we thought we've give tires a try. :crackup: This is early/low snow conditions. I've got 10,000 grooming pics taken over 20 years. Did you want to see them? :rockon:
IMG_2021boundaryraod.jpg
roller.jpg

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
As much as I hate the cold and snow I really would like to see how my Ranger does in it. I've been all over the Northeast and Canada is some pretty bad snowstorms with my F150's, it would be nice to compare the two. Every year I say we should go to Flagstaff for the day and check out the snow, then I chicken out because it's even to cold for me here in the valley in the winter. lol?
Ok, who decided the Fox should guard the hen house?

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I hate it a lot less since I retired an don't HAVE to drive in it an work in it.
I too find the snow and cold isn't as bad when I'm not working?

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Got my tremor out in the snow this weekend. A few inches of snow with some slush and ice underneath, including on some dirt roads.

So far I'm very impressed with it (as long as I'm in 4WD, it's a tough go in 2WD). I have 120lbs of sand in the back and the stock Grabbers. I even had to park in a bit of a ditch, and while the front right tire started to slide down, the rest of the tires were able to get me corrected.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
The biggest factor in snow performance is the tires, not the vehicle itself.
You want a tread with a large number of small edges like an A/T, they are better than a tire with a small number of large edges like an M/T.
General Grabber A/P and BFG A/T are probably the best A/T tires in snow.
If you live someplace where you get a crap-ton of snow and/or it gets uber-cold, like zero or less for weeks on end then you are better with a set of dedicated winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks. The rubber is a softer compound and works better in extreme temps. For the most part winter isn't too severe where I live now and I just run A/T's on my trucks year-round. Been running Blizzaks on my wife's vehicles for years and she won't roll on anything else in the winter. Her minivan goes as good in snow as my 4x4's and probably stops and turns better.
Firestone Winterforce cost a bit less and are very good tires for the money.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
You want a tread with a large number of small edges like an A/T, they are better than a tire with a small number of large edges like an M/T.
General Grabber A/P and BFG A/T are probably the best A/T tires in snow.
If you live someplace where you get a crap-ton of snow and/or it gets uber-cold, like zero or less for weeks on end then you are better with a set of dedicated winter tires like Bridgestone Blizzaks. The rubber is a softer compound and works better in extreme temps. For the most part winter isn't too severe where I live now and I just run A/T's on my trucks year-round. Been running Blizzaks on my wife's vehicles for years and she won't roll on anything else in the winter. Her minivan goes as good in snow as my 4x4's and probably stops and turns better.
Firestone Winterforce cost a bit less and are very good tires for the money.
Not sure who you are addressing. We rarely get sub zero but we really do get snow here, so we have extra rims for all our vehicles and of course put snows on them. I once asked my tire dealer "how many of your custumers put snows on there vehicles?" he said about 70%. ?

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Not sure who you are addressing. We rarely get sub zero but we really do get snow here, so we have extra rims for all our vehicles and of course put snows on them. I once asked my tire dealer "how many of your custumers put snows on there vehicles?" he said about 70%. ?
It's extra safety and security in the winter plus the summer tires probably last another two years since I'll have the snows on it about 5 months a year, so I look at it as in the end it doesn't really cost much more, if at all.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I'll see how the stock Hankooks do this winter. If I don't like them then I will put a set of Faulken Wildpeak AT tires on. I have been very happy with the Wildpeak AT tires in the past. They did great last year dealing with snow and ice on my 2016 Jeep Cherokee.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I can see this. I had an 84 Camaro base car with regular Firestone supreme tires on it an it held it's own in the snow for a rear wheel drive car. I didn't even put weight in the back. I had a 87 mustang 5.0 an I ran the year round performance radials on it with 200 pounds in the truck an it couldn't get out of it's own way.

"how many of your custumers put snows on there vehicles?" he said about 70%.
Around here the roads are only snow covered a few days a year an about the only people running dedicated snow tires are driving cars with year round summer only performance tires (usually a high end car) or a rwd car like a mustang.

When I was a kid we had a few rwd pick ups an station wagons an we ran studded snow tires back then.

I wonder if discount tire or someone has statistics by zip code on this. Around here I'd bet it's less than 10% except maybe 30 miles east of me in the lake effect snow belt.
Sponsored