Ranger Vehicle Visibility Requests Megathread

Rock 25

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Hot Pepper Red
The freight bill on mine says pending. And yet the Ford tracker still says my truck has been at the dealer since March 5. Salesman did contact the zone rep who said he looks for the truck to be there this week. At this point, have no expectations. Crazy!
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
It is weird, a $40,000, 2 ton vehicle is somewhere in pending land ? Actually thousands of them out there somewhere. Who knows ? Anybody ? Ford? And we are talking about just one vehicle. How many other cars and trucks are lost out there in pending land? :explode::bandit:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
It is weird, a $40,000, 2 ton vehicle is somewhere in pending land ? Actually thousands of them out there somewhere. Who knows ? Anybody ? Ford? And we are talking about just one vehicle. How many other cars and trucks are lost out there in pending land? :explode::bandit:
Amazon can track a $2 package to the minute almost, but Ford has trouble tracking a 40k truck..... go figure. Something seems messed up about that.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Amazon can track a $2 package to the minute almost, but Ford has trouble tracking a 40k truck..... go figure. Something seems messed up about that.
Amazon sends a lot more packages, has a lot more practice, has many more data points to build predictions from, and honestly there are simply more people people who care where their package is. To put it into perspective, ford might hit 100k rangers this year, while amazon sends a few million packages per day, and most of the rangers will be bought off the lot.

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Amazon sends a lot more packages, has a lot more practice, has many more data points to build predictions from, and honestly there are simply more people people who care where their package is. To put it into perspective, ford might hit 100k rangers this year, while amazon sends a few million packages per day, and most of the rangers will be bought off the lot.
Not to mention Amazon's entire business model revolves around logistics. Freight shipping is different than retail package delivery.

Ford makes trucks. I don't blame them if they can't get down-to-the-minute updates on every truck out there across multiple freight shippers; it's simply not in their wheelhouse. For every person who complains about the tracker there are 5 others who got a Ranger without issue. It's easy to get mad when you can't see what's going on, so let's give Ford a bit of a break here.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not to mention Amazon's entire business model revolves around logistics. Freight shipping is different than retail package delivery.

Ford makes trucks. I don't blame them if they can't get down-to-the-minute updates on every truck out there across multiple freight shippers; it's simply not in their wheelhouse. For every person who complains about the tracker there are 5 others who got a Ranger without issue. It's easy to get mad when you can't see what's going on, so let's give Ford a bit of a break here.
I'm sorry - I have a hard time giving them a break - we are talking about EXPENSIVE trucks - and if they can't do it, they shouldn't even offer the tracker - all the tracker does is generate false expectations.

The fact that they can't give people explanations for trucks that have literally been sitting for WEEKS is in-excusable, IMO.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry - I have a hard time giving them a break - we are talking about EXPENSIVE trucks - and if they can't do it, they shouldn't even offer the tracker - all the tracker does is generate false expectations.

The fact that they can't give people explanations for trucks that have literally been sitting for WEEKS is in-excusable, IMO.
Well, if they spent a few million dollars improving the tracker, the odds that it would result in a few million in increased profits are basically zero. I'd assume that what they did was give a limited view into existing data as cheaply as possible. In most cases that's more than enough to give a great customer experience for not much cost. In the case there's a problem, there's no way they'd give access to the internal logs of Bob dinging the door and Ed trying to decide how to fix it and Jack checking parts availability and everything else that goes on when something is screwed up. It's just not a realistic ask.

I can tell you that if something gets unexpectedly screwed up at Amazon, the experience isn't any better. It sucks to be the one in a million or whatever that's not working, but there's always going to be the one.

tugger

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019 Super Crew Latiat Lightning Blue FX4
Occupation
Register Nurse Emergency Room
I keep checking the tracking board and it keeps adding days.I ordered my ranger in November 2018,according to my vin number it was to be delivered march 3rd.I was told by my salesmen ford ran out of steering wheels!!! Can you believe it? I says 23 days to delivery!!!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I keep checking the tracking board and it keeps adding days.I ordered my ranger in November 2018,according to my vin number it was to be delivered march 3rd.I was told by my salesmen ford ran out of steering wheels!!! Can you believe it? I says 23 days to delivery!!!
Your salesman is blowing smoke. Does it say it's in transit or in production or waiting for shipment?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if they spent a few million dollars improving the tracker, the odds that it would result in a few million in increased profits are basically zero. I'd assume that what they did was give a limited view into existing data as cheaply as possible. In most cases that's more than enough to give a great customer experience for not much cost. In the case there's a problem, there's no way they'd give access to the internal logs of Bob dinging the door and Ed trying to decide how to fix it and Jack checking parts availability and everything else that goes on when something is screwed up. It's just not a realistic ask.

I can tell you that if something gets unexpectedly screwed up at Amazon, the experience isn't any better. It sucks to be the one in a million or whatever that's not working, but there's always going to be the one.
Agreed that from a purely profit standpoint, it might not make any sense to enhance the tracker. But additional customer satisfaction does have value - it is just that it isn't something easily put on a spreadsheet.

I wasn't even talking about the tracker though - we've had MANY examples here of people who have been in limbo for weeks with NO ONE being able to tell them what is going on, or when they might expect delivery. That is the much larger issue, IMO. It is all about managing expectations, and in WAY too many cases, expectations have been VERY poorly managed, resulting in frustrated customers.

ExChief45

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chrysler Concorde
Occupation
Gas System Operations - Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
While my experience so far has been positive, I get angry hearing the stories about trucks "lost" since early February. I could give Ford a pass if they were being honest and making an effort to help fix the problem. This isn't about a bad tracker system, this is about piss poor customer service. Ford has been in business way to long to treat customers this way. As I have said previously I would be calling anyone I could get on the phone and bothering them until I got answers. The BS excuses about spray in liners and steering wheels is unacceptable. I hope you all get proper answers soon!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed that from a purely profit standpoint, it might not make any sense to enhance the tracker. But additional customer satisfaction does have value - it is just that it isn't something easily put on a spreadsheet.

I wasn't even talking about the tracker though - we've had MANY examples here of people who have been in limbo for weeks with NO ONE being able to tell them what is going on, or when they might expect delivery. That is the much larger issue, IMO. It is all about managing expectations, and in WAY too many cases, expectations have been VERY poorly managed, resulting in frustrated customers.
Again, I'm not sure what's actually reasonable. I'm fairly confident that nothing is actually "lost", something just went wrong. Purely from a liability standpoint they're not going to make it easy to find out what exactly went wrong. Given how useless so many of the salespeople are, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to have deep access into the actual manufacturing logs because it's pretty clear they'd botch communicating that to customers. What they could maybe do is put a cap on how long something can be in a screwed-up state, but what then? Would you be happier to just hear "truck delayed too long, cancelling order"? As it stands if you decide you hit "too long" you can just cancel it yourself--at least you have an option. Yeah, expectations should be managed: this is a ford, not a mercedes E class; you aren't going to get a personalized visit to the factory to walk you through your truck.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, I'm not sure what's actually reasonable. I'm fairly confident that nothing is actually "lost", something just went wrong. Purely from a liability standpoint they're not going to make it easy to find out what exactly went wrong. Given how useless so many of the salespeople are, I'm not sure why anyone would expect them to have deep access into the actual manufacturing logs because it's pretty clear they'd botch communicating that to customers. What they could maybe do is put a cap on how long something can be in a screwed-up state, but what then? Would you be happier to just hear "truck delayed too long, cancelling order"? As it stands if you decide you hit "too long" you can just cancel it yourself--at least you have an option. Yeah, expectations should be managed: this is a ford, not a mercedes E class; you aren't going to get a personalized visit to the factory to walk you through your truck.
I guess we just have different expectations. For a 40k + truck, I expect they should be able to tell me where it is at any given moment, and if it is going to be delayed from what they told me, I would expect they could tell me WHY it is being delayed (it doesn't have to be "Bob from the body shop is fixing a dent", just a general "quality hold"), along with a reasonable ETA of when I can expect it. Saying "I don't know, and I don't know when you can expect it" is just (as someone else put it "piss poor customer service".

Hell, I've gotten a better status on my $30 tailgate damper from carid.com!!!! It is delayed, but they have called me twice to tell me it is delayed, giving me the option of cancelling my order or waiting.

I'm done ranting.....

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess we just have different expectations. For a 40k + truck, I expect they should be able to tell me where it is at any given moment, and if it is going to be delayed from what they told me, I would expect they could tell me WHY it is being delayed (it doesn't have to be "Bob from the body shop is fixing a dent", just a general "quality hold"), along with a reasonable ETA of when I can expect it. Saying "I don't know, and I don't know when you can expect it" is just (as someone else put it "piss poor customer service".
I guess from my perspective if it's sitting around in production then it's obvious that something has gone wrong, and if it was quick & easy to fix they'd have fixed it already and it wouldn't need an ETA. The internet has just changed perceptions; 30 years ago if this had happened the dealer would have just made up some BS answer and you wouldn't have any way to know any better and would be happy with the BS. Now when the dealer BS's you can quickly find that out online.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess from my perspective if it's sitting around in production then it's obvious that something has gone wrong, and if it was quick & easy to fix they'd have fixed it already and it wouldn't need an ETA. The internet has just changed perceptions; 30 years ago if this had happened the dealer would have just made up some BS answer and you wouldn't have any way to know any better and would be happy with the BS. Now when the dealer BS's you can quickly find that out online.
It is a sign of the times. Amazon, the Internet in general and instant tracking have greatly raised expectations for all sorts of things.
Sponsored