First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Remorse... Uhmmm, sorta of, in a semi-complicated way. I came from a 2005 Ranger Extended can FX4. Very modest sized vehicle... perfect for what I needed. Fast forward 15 years and finally bored with it (only 44K miles on it at this point, BTW) and want something new. Go test drive the new 2019 Ranger... SuperCrew cab... Sold... as there really no other US made small pickup anymore and it was NICE... but freaking BIG. Might as well have been a F150.

Now the Maverick is here.... ahhh, perfect size. Now I'm sorry I couldnt' wait for the Maverick... even though I do really like the Ranger... it's just too big (and high... tailgate).
I feel this, a bit. I like the Mav, but I want a real 4x4 and if I'm gonna buy a PHEV, which I do want, then not being able to even get it with AWD is a no-go. I do like all the bed tweaks they did and also the cab changes. I hope they do the same on the new Rangers as they did on the mav.
Sponsored

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I feel this, a bit. I like the Mav, but I want a real 4x4 and if I'm gonna buy a PHEV, which I do want, then not being able to even get it with AWD is a no-go. I do like all the bed tweaks they did and also the cab changes. I hope they do the same on the new Rangers as they did on the mav.
Whoa a bit there.. I have a 21 Lariat FX4 and the Mav is no comparison. I have a Mav hybrid on order since September with a build date end of this month. It’s for my wife. It’s not PHEV and it’s a unibody. It will fit her purpose great but very limited tow capacity. I’m keeping my Ranger for the other great stuff it does.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Whoa a bit there.. I have a 21 Lariat FX4 and the Mav is no comparison. I have a Mav hybrid on order since September with a build date end of this month. It’s for my wife. It’s not PHEV and it’s a unibody. It will fit her purpose great but very limited tow capacity. I’m keeping my Ranger for the other great stuff it does.
I didn't really mean they were even-steven. All I was saying is that if I could get a mav with PHEV AWD, or, a true 4WD, then I'd be in.

I bought the Ranger because I needed a truck for (reasons) and it fit my needs. I will stick with a new one in a few years if I can get a PHEV. If the mav had a 4x4 or even a PHEV AWD, then I might look at that. Right now, nah.

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
My ONLY remorse is that I got the blue XLT instead of the blue LARIAT sitting next to it...I think it was about 5k more since it was decked out and 4x4 (mine is 2WD) and that was the deciding factor...I didn't really need the 4X4.

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I've owned fast cars (owned a Hemi Ram 1500 also), and this truck does not seem slow to me. I could beat most midsize/fullsize trucks off the line. My only complaint with my truck is the transmission. Some days its smooth, some days I get jerked around, especially around town. Aside from that I love the truck.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
My only regret is that I didn't get 4x4, not that I need it but that it helps in resale. I'll consider a 6G Ranger after the second year of production, IF the 2.7 is an option.

Also, I'll take 'Things I'll never unsee, for $500 Alex'.

Hank573

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
retired
Newbie here. I have owned a new Ram 1500 every 3 years for the past 15 years. All V8’s and a hemi in the last three. I got bored with my 2019 black crew cab, Bighorn. Didn’t have all of the bells and whistles but it was nice and fast. Had a console so big 4 adults could eat Big Macs on it at the same time.

In 21 the Ranger really caught my eye. Problem was so many choices. so I started shopping around. I actually order 3 different ranger from different dealers all three completely different. soo let the waitI get game begin. 3-6 months was the time frame. This was in May of this year. Also due to the new way of the world my Ram appraised at 8-10k more then the payoff. I told myself hell yeah! I gonna get all the bells and whistles and coincidentally a local dealer just happen to get a Lariat. I jumped on it. I’ve bored you long enough so I’ll skip the window sticker. So to my point. I love everything about it except for the ability to leave most other trucks at the light or pass that creeping semi on a crowded expressway. Just wondering if anyone downsized and got to the point of going back. I will say I do like the look and the feel of the Ford trucks now.

ok, you can wake up. Thanks for listening:)

91FAFE76-498C-41FD-A7CB-03A40A595F8A.jpeg
My only regret would be that they didn't and don't have a Hybrid...would be nice to get 40 mpg...I'll live with 20 to 24 and the amount of get up go the little 4 banger has with the turbo...good luck and that is one good looking truck...

coyote5.0man

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2022 Ranger lariat FX4 BO
Occupation
Network engineer
Newbie here. I have owned a new Ram 1500 every 3 years for the past 15 years. All V8’s and a hemi in the last three. I got bored with my 2019 black crew cab, Bighorn. Didn’t have all of the bells and whistles but it was nice and fast. Had a console so big 4 adults could eat Big Macs on it at the same time.

In 21 the Ranger really caught my eye. Problem was so many choices. so I started shopping around. I actually order 3 different ranger from different dealers all three completely different. soo let the waitI get game begin. 3-6 months was the time frame. This was in May of this year. Also due to the new way of the world my Ram appraised at 8-10k more then the payoff. I told myself hell yeah! I gonna get all the bells and whistles and coincidentally a local dealer just happen to get a Lariat. I jumped on it. I’ve bored you long enough so I’ll skip the window sticker. So to my point. I love everything about it except for the ability to leave most other trucks at the light or pass that creeping semi on a crowded expressway. Just wondering if anyone downsized and got to the point of going back. I will say I do like the look and the feel of the Ford trucks now.

ok, you can wake up. Thanks for listening:)

91FAFE76-498C-41FD-A7CB-03A40A595F8A.jpeg
I am not sure if something is wrong with your truck but, I have no problems at all leaving others behind. The 2.3L engine and 10R80 trans rocks. I am very interested on how you broke your engine in? How many miles are on it?

ArizonaRangers

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x4 4D and 2023 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Engineer
I too had 3 Ram 1500 Hemi's prior to the Ranger. When the Ranger was still stock, I did have buyer's remorse. Then, I decided to lift/level it with the Eibach Complete Pro-Truck Sport Kit. 3" front, 1" rear, new front springs, and shocks all the way around. Then installed 33" Nitto Ridge Ridge Grapplers. I now love it. The XLT interior is still sub-standard and the rear seat has poor leg room. That's what I miss most from my Big Horn Rams, aside from that beautiful Hemi sound. What I was most concerned about when buying the Ranger was the capability I would lose going from a full size with a V-8 to a mid size with a 4cyl. 2-1/2 years later, I have not encountered a single situation where I was disappointed by the Ranger's capabilities. That includes towing some fairly heavy box trailers as well. In fact, even before the lift and tires, the Ranger was superior when it come to off road capability. With the lift, its incredible off road.

Last edited:

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
I don't think I have a sport mode in my 2020 Lariat. Do you mean 'S' on the transmission and then toggling through the gears?

DapperDean

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport 4x4
I don't need to have a full-size truck because I actually have a full-size penis.