First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Originally I planned on doing the rockers, lower door skins, wheel wells, and Warn Ascent front bumper. Since then however I've expanded the plan, and now doing the panel above the bumper, both fenders, both quarters, and both doors. I'll do right to the window trim, and box trim, then, then use the body line to cut the top of the rear door and not do the window frames. I'm probably not doing the vent plate trim, mirror hoods, door handles, roof, hood, rear bumper and tailgate. If I'm not happy with the mix, or if (when) damage happens to those parts, I may do more.

I'm not a painter, but have some experience and going to give-er anyway. It's thick, self leveling and flat black, so it will hopefully hide my inexperience. I'm planning to reduce it ~15% and use a HVLP Gravity feed gun for the body panels. The bumper may get the same, or un-reduced with more texture, thickness and protection.

I have 8 liters on order, but I have to do the cuts and prep for my front lights and snorkel before spraying (and build a paint booth). It's a few weeks before it's complete, but hopefully this month.

https://www.amazon.com/U-Pol-Raptor...?keywords=raptor+liner&qid=1650036428&sr=8-16
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
A paint project this large is Not something a person wants to tackle with little to no application experience. I mean, I have no idea how well jack, and his dog, can dive in and learn a thing and execute it effectively, but chances are pretty strong it went south.

If you catch yourself saying things like "Well, the paint will hide my inexperience" then you need to throttle back because it will NOT.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
A paint project this large is Not something a person wants to tackle with little to no application experience. I mean, I have no idea how well jack, and his dog, can dive in and learn a thing and execute it effectively, but chances are pretty strong it went south.

If you catch yourself saying things like "Well, the paint will hide my inexperience" then you need to throttle back because it will NOT.
While this is all true.

We also have no idea what Jack's level of experience is.

If he's a retired milkman, best leave it to a pro. If he's a retired antibody instructor, he's got this.

Edit: Goddamned autocorrect. Auto body, not antibody.:crackup:

Last edited:

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
I had 3M rock guard put on, all the front facing surfaces and down the side up to the body line, I thought about a spray on product like the Raptor stuff, but I couldn't bring myself to risk it, it's too easy to screw things up.
But for what the 3M cost, I could have done it 4 times with the spray:facepalm:

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Okay, update time......

I have the paint, gun and everything else I need for the project, but did hit a few speed bumps.

My air compressor blew up just after the paint arrived. Up here we have an automotive Wal-Mart of sorts called Canadian Tire. Their prices are not great, but have rotating sales on almost everything in the store, so I had to wait a bit to get the new compressor at 40% off, which put it to late June.

As I was ready to move forward, I had a family medical emergency that threw everything off, and has dominated my free time ever since. Things are just starting to get back to normal now, but winter is just around the corner. I just had a Krown oil spray done in late September and it's still bleeding out. Also I go back to work on November 14th (Booo!). The job is 22 weeks through winter which takes me to April 14th, and into spring again. I know it's says retired in my bio, but technically it's semi-retired. I'm only 51 so I still plan to work some winters for the next 10 years or so. Last year I had a new puppy and I didn't work, but this year I have no excuses not to work, so I've agreed to go back.

As to my experience, I worked in auto-body for a couple years. I have never sprayed a full car with paint, but have sprayed lots of primer, and painted lots of other projects. I definitely do not consider myself a painter, but have done acceptable quality work on many projects.

The Raptor material is heavy, flat black, and textured. I have a few small dents, which I'm probably going to have PDR done before hand, but I don't know how well it will work, considering the location of one being on the body line of the driver's side rear door. The other is on the hood, and is small, but deepish (photo below) which I haven't decided if I am even painting the hood or not.

My only real concern with the finished project is getting the paint overlap good to avoid noticeable tiger-striping. It's much heavier than paint or primer, so it's going to take some adjustment to get the right set-up. I'll do some practice on other material until I get it to what I want. If I still can't get to the quality I want, I may solicit a proper auto-painter for a cash weekend job just for the spray.

Last but not least, I'm not all that concerned with how my truck looks. It is a trail truck and takes lots of body abuse. I have lots of pin-stripes, scars and chips. I've had it ~18 months and it still hasn't had a full proper hand wash. It gets a power washer every few months, and after excess mud play. After winter I'll give it a full proper wash, clean the excess oil spray from all the edges, and get back to the Raptor sprayed when I can leave it parked for a few days after to cure properly.

rS0dXgR.jpg

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well it sounds like you have a lot more experience thab the original post let on. Hope everything gets back to normal and you can get to your project. Excited to see it.

OP
OP
JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Probably ignored, and never updated, on account of the eminent disastrous results.
Is it immanent or eminent?

If you mean 'famous' or 'superior,' use the word eminent; if you mean 'impending, about to happen' that is imminent; and if you mean 'present, inherent,' use the word immanent.

While it may not be eminent at completion it will definitely not be disastrous. ;)

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

If you mean 'famous' or 'superior,' use the word eminent; if you mean 'impending, about to happen' that is imminent; and if you mean 'present, inherent,' use the word immanent.

Well it may not be eminent at completion it will definitely not be disastrous. ;)
Ha.

Take that Adam, "antibody instructor" and wordsmith. I knew you'd come through Jack!

I think it'll look killer!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

While it may not be eminent at completion it will definitely not be disastrous. ;)
Well-played, your eminence.
Sponsored