Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone has chained up the front tires of a Ranger, I just dont see how there would be enough clearance on the inner wheel around the arm..... but i hope to be wrong... If you have done it, please speak up to your experience and a pic would be great.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if anyone has chained up the front tires of a Ranger, I just dont see how there would be enough clearance on the inner wheel around the arm..... but i hope to be wrong... If you have done it, please speak up to your experience and a pic would be great.
I thought I read somewhere (I can't remember where - maybe the manual?) that it specifcially stated you couldn't chain the front tires up - my guess was the limited clearance between the tire and suspension, but I'd love to know if anyone else has better info. On my old Ranger I always chained the front tires - it gave me better stopping traction which is usually what I needed.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I thought I read somewhere (I can't remember where - maybe the manual?) that it specifcially stated you couldn't chain the front tires up - my guess was the limited clearance between the tire and suspension, but I'd love to know if anyone else has better info. On my old Ranger I always chained the front tires - it gave me better stopping traction which is usually what I needed.
Here you go:
8529D31F-6F58-4385-9C14-E03714B81DEA.png
997D1E24-16BA-488A-ADD8-4D99E0709C71.png

OP
OP
Jake596

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly what i think is the case. When i put on the lift and tires on, and couldn't get a finger between the arm and the tire.... dont see how chains would fit correctly without turning into a soup sandwich.

OP
OP
Jake596

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"only use snow chains in pairs on the rear axle" guess that says it all.... Thank you

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've never used 'em but have heard good things about the Autosocks. They seen like they should clear the UCA.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I've never used 'em but have heard good things about the Autosocks. They seen like they should clear the UCA.
As someone living in the deep south, I never heard of autosocks and had to look it up. If it snows or ices here in south Louisiana, everything is shut down and a state holiday declared.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
"only use snow chains in pairs on the rear axle" guess that says it all.... Thank you
Yep - thank you @Danager for posting the relevant section from the owners manual. I was too lazy to look it up. :crackup:

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
Yep - thank you @Danager for posting the relevant section from the owners manual. I was too lazy to look it up. :crackup:
That wording is really ambiguous. I feel like it's supposed to be read as "don't put a snow chain on one rear tire," rather than "only use chains on the rear tires". But as we all know the Ranger's owner's manual has just been great...

edit: I take that back. For fun, I looked up the F-150's manual, and its wording is much clearer: " The snow chains or cables must be mounted in pairs on the rear tires only. "

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That wording is really ambiguous. I feel like it's supposed to be read as "don't put a snow chain on one rear tire," rather than "only use chains on the rear tires". But as we all know the Ranger's owner's manual has just been great...

edit: I take that back. For fun, I looked up the F-150's manual, and its wording is much clearer: " The snow chains or cables must be mounted in pairs on the rear tires only. "
Yeah, it is kind of poorly worded for sure, but given the limited clearance on the front it makes sense not to put chains on the front tires.

I've not chained mine up yet (not had a need to - 4WD was good enough so far) but when I do, I'll only put them on the rear wheels.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
You only put chains on rear tires

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I just did about 100 miles of hard off-road driving chained up. No rubbing. Front and Rear.

DSC06702-2.jpg
Wow, so you chained up all 4 and had no rubbing up front? I can't tell, are those stock wheels?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. These are stock Tremor wheels and tires. No rubbing up front with chains in all stages of flex.
Do you know if the Tremor wheels have more offset? There isn't much room between the tire and suspension on my FX4 with stock wheels. I can't imagine chains would fit on mine.
Sponsored