Ranger compared to Subaru in snow

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I should add for the ranger it is recommended to put to sandbags in the bed as it will help with Traction in the rear
Yes, I was going say to add weight also. I have some firewood back there now. A little weight helps a lot.
Sponsored

staryoshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Occupation
Data Guy
BTW Subarus have a permanent AWD system, not part time, which is part of what makes them awesome.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've never felt the need to add weight to the bed of this ranger, my other 2 rangers were 2wd. This is a interesting solution for adding weight. It can be strapped down in case of an accident an stores easily
I dunno, bags of sand seem to be more useful and a hell of a lot cheaper.

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
A little different from what everyone is talking about, but back many years ago, I had a 1970 Volvo 240 2 door, with a gutless 4 cylinder motor and a 4 speed. At the time it was many years old, and had countless miles- the speedometer was broken, the doors were rusted out, but was the best 2 wheel drive snow car I ever drove. I worked swing shifts in Salt Lake, and had to drive up I-80 through Parley's canyon to get home to Heber City at 3 o'clock in the morning. There were many nights in the winter where they didn't bother to start plowing the interstate until the morning back then, but left it open. With studded snow tires on the back of that old Volvo, it would plow through 10 inches of untracked snow on that highway-not real fast, but it was like a tank. The headlights were designed so that even though it would be dumping snow, there were positioned low, and your vision was pretty good. It never died, never got stuck. We traded it in for a new Subaru (and, of course, moved out of the snow.)

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2016 Forester (XT with the turbo) and my Ranger. I drive both frequently in the snow (along with a 2021 Crosstrek).

The difference (assuming the Ranger is in 4WD) will come down to tires (and how worn they are, if using the same tire), plus minor areas where one will be better than the other. Each vehicle has its strong points. In other words, you can't really go wrong with which vehicle you put the snow tires on :)

I have better snow tires on the Ranger and it out performs the Forester. Of all three vehicles, assuming the same snow tire, with the same amount of wear, the Crosstrek would be the best. That is due to it having the lowest center of gravity. Although in very deep snow, the Ranger's higher clearance is the winner.

My current snow tires (all are stud-less winter):
'21 Ranger: Nokian Hakka R3 SUV (first season)
'16 Forester: Continental WinterContact SI (fifth season, 6/32")
'21 Crosstrek: Continental VkingContact (second season, 9/32")

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I dunno, bags of sand seem to be more useful and a hell of a lot cheaper.
I don't use anything but the down side of sand bags is they break open an get sand on everything an they're bulky, not nice an flat so you can haul stuff easily on top. Plus my buddy will spend stupid money on stuff if he thinks it's the best option. He thinks you can store the water container weight device easily in the spring.

I had a water softener in my house an I'd throw a couple bags of water softener salt in the truck of my mustang for winter weight then in the spring I'd just put it in the water tank. 100% cost effective an zero waste.

motodude

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Senior Vice President of a renewable energy company
I have a 2018 Forester XT and 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor. As others have said, if the tires were similar and the snow is less than a foot deep, the Subaru’s awd system makes it the easy winner. If I had to score snow-covered pavement performance on a 0-10 scale, the Ranger is a solid 7.5 and the Subaru is a 10.

Eoj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 lariat fx4
I grew up with knee deep to shoulder deep snows driving rear wheel drive cars. Hadn’t gotten into a 4x4 before I was 20. Many of my cars including a couple Camaros were shocking how good they actually were but the best was an 83 ranger. 2wd short bed with about 400 horse 302 in it. 60 series tires on back and that thing crawled through 2-3 feet of snow like nothing. So if it’s too much for these 4x4s you have no business being on the road

JeeperCreeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep + Ranger Tremor
Normally the biggest issue with Subarus in snow is their drivers.

Alaska here: My wife has a Renegade with studded Firestones (mediocre at best) and I have the Tremor with studded Hankooks (fantastic) with sandbags.

The AWD Renegade is better for daily driving. Except for one thing, and that's ruts and road surfaces. Our roads are "W" shaped from long term stud usage and medium to small cars get pushed around. The truck does a better job.

Anyways, Subaru is a better daily if AWD vs 4WD is your main consideration.

ICE 27

First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger tremor
I own a 2021 forester and a 21 tremor. Both are capable but the traction system in the subu is hard to beat. With snow tires it's a beast. I think most people are correct in saying the forester with its awd and weight distribution really shines. There is less skill level with it to. My wife would be fine in the forester the ranger not so much.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Tires contribute about 70% to 80% of your ability to safely negotiate in snow. Comparing an AWD with winter tires to a 4x4 pickup with all season or all terrain tires is not a fair comparison.

In the fall of 15 I had purchased a 4x4 Dakota to have as a spare vehicle to replace the previous spare 4x4 pickup. It had new MasterCraft All Terrain tires. The first time I drove it in the snow it was very unstable and was upset by every rut. I immediately got a set of Firestone Winterforce tires for it and it transformed into a beast in the snow.

Jan 15 I purchased a new Mustang that had summer tires on it. I immediately drove it to my son's shop and we mounted up winter tires on an extra set of rims he got me. This was just in time for the worst winter in recorded history for snow in the Boston area. It was so good in the snow that I didn't bother with my 4x4 that winter. I could get through snow banks that AWD SUVs were getting stuck in (presumably these AWD had worn all seasons).

My point is proper winter tires on any vehicle will transform its ability to negotiate winter snow and slop. If you have never used them you can't imagine how much better they are.

Elgorr4

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL
8.7" is pretty much the Subaru standard, which is close to rangers 8.9" in 4wd and more than 2wd. Wilderness adds about an inch
I haven't had any of the new subarus, I was thinking back to an old '06 in regards to ground clearance. Crazy how high the new ones are!

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've never felt the need to add weight to the bed of this ranger, my other 2 rangers were 2wd. This is a interesting solution for adding weight. It can be strapped down in case of an accident an stores easily

https://www.amazon.com/ShurTrax-CLW...DVWG/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B005IZDVWG&psc=1

There's a hard plastic version called weight mate traction device. It has a high limit on how much weight you can stack on it. My friend ordered one for his Ram 3500. He said in a light slushy snow the torque of that ram put out made it squirrelly when slick out.
Interesting idea. reusable, nice idea. Though I'd honestly rather use sandbags. That way, if you still do get stuck (on ice, especially), you can break open the sandbags to help with traction.

though with the popularity of "overlanding" it seems that traction boards are almost ubiquitous.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Tires are a big factor but so is the driver. I haven’t driven any car at work since 1988 that wasn’t RWD only. Slow down and common sense will get you most places.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless

https://www.amazon.com/ShurTrax-CLW...DVWG/ref=dp_prsubs_3?pd_rd_i=B005IZDVWG&psc=1

There's a hard plastic version called weight mate traction device. It has a high limit on how much weight you can stack on it. My friend ordered one for his Ram 3500. He said in a light slushy snow the torque of that ram put out made it squirrelly when slick out.
Doesn't anyone put their significant others back there to add weight ? I do it in the interest of safety and avoiding driving distractions. They do need to dress warmly though.
Sponsored