Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry guys been super busy with other projects. I made a V2 with much stronger rod ends and stainless pins. Had it on the truck for a couple of thousand miles without issue. I will post up some pictures of it tonight. The sway bar isn't all that stiff, you can push or pull on the end link to align it as long as its within about a 1/2 inch.
Sounds promising...please put me on the wait list if your planning on selling these :like:
Sponsored

Thefadricator

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 01 7.3 64 122s 14 ilx 08 xc90v8 928gts
Occupation
Yes
Any updates on this id like to throw money at you

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
Sorry guys been super busy with other projects. I made a V2 with much stronger rod ends and stainless pins. Had it on the truck for a couple of thousand miles without issue. I will post up some pictures of it tonight. The sway bar isn't all that stiff, you can push or pull on the end link to align it as long as its within about a 1/2 inch.
Alright guys, I'm a bored mechanical engineer, and there's NOTHING more dangerous than a bored mechanical engineer.

Unless @Caluke comes back soon, I'm going to give this a crack. If it is only off-the-shelf parts I won't be selling them, if there are custom machined parts I will gauge interest before building kits. I will post instructions on what parts you need and post my progress as I give this a shot, for the good of the group.

The original one he posted looks like its about $20 worth of parts from McMaster-carr, but where I'm a bit lost is where he says "much stronger rod ends" I'll do some digging and see what I can find and see if I can recreate something that works.

The original:
https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/quick-install-ball-joint-linkages-6/

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Alright guys, I'm a bored mechanical engineer, and there's NOTHING more dangerous than a bored mechanical engineer.

Unless @Caluke comes back soon, I'm going to give this a crack. If it is only off-the-shelf parts I won't be selling them, if there are custom machined parts I will gauge interest before building kits. I will post instructions on what parts you need and post my progress as I give this a shot, for the good of the group.

The original one he posted looks like its about $20 worth of parts from McMaster-carr, but where I'm a bit lost is where he says "much stronger rod ends" I'll do some digging and see what I can find and see if I can recreate something that works.

The original:
https://www.mcmaster.com/rod-ends/quick-install-ball-joint-linkages-6/
I love hanging around bored mechanical engineers...looking forward to your thoughts... ?

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Watching with great interest!

Av8or

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Ranger, Cessna Skywagon
Okay I haven't forgotten about this. I have a preliminary design nearly complete. It will require a custom machined part that I am getting quoted by local machine shops, but I can also post DIY instructions on how to convert some off-the shelf hardware into what you'll need.

I'm developing a fully stainless steel version as well as a steel version depending on the climate you live in. There's an obvious and large price difference between the two. I'm not protective of my intellectual property, and I'm doing this just for fun. I just want these to be available on these trucks, so I'm not here to make money off of it. The basic concept is to make an 8mm version of this (with appropriate lengths):
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...7oc8udPxZWhwKOWeTIxCFDMOaBK710eUaApEOEALw_wcB
And then use rod-ends and a connecting rod between them.

Before I sell anything I do need to figure out an LLC to protect myself and clear it with the company I actually work for, so it may be a few weeks, but feel free to bug me as you see fit :).

I came back to say, DO NOT USE the above quoted ball linkage. I do not believe they will hold up to necessary loads, fatigue life, or resistance to abrasion or corrosion. In my analysis, the ball linkage has a large stress concentration that I don't think will work for this application, at least not long-term.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Okay I haven't forgotten about this. I have a preliminary design nearly complete. It will require a custom machined part that I am getting quoted by local machine shops, but I can also post DIY instructions on how to convert some off-the shelf hardware into what you'll need.

I'm developing a fully stainless steel version as well as a steel version depending on the climate you live in. There's an obvious and large price difference between the two. I'm not protective of my intellectual property, and I'm doing this just for fun. I just want these to be available on these trucks, so I'm not here to make money off of it. The basic concept is to make an 8mm version of this (with appropriate lengths):
https://www.quadratec.com/products/...7oc8udPxZWhwKOWeTIxCFDMOaBK710eUaApEOEALw_wcB
And then use rod-ends and a connecting rod between them.

Before I sell anything I do need to figure out an LLC to protect myself and clear it with the company I actually work for, so it may be a few weeks, but feel free to bug me as you see fit :).

I came back to say, DO NOT USE the above quoted ball linkage. I do not believe they will hold up to necessary loads, fatigue life, or resistance to abrasion or corrosion. In my analysis, the ball linkage has a large stress concentration that I don't think will work for this application, at least not long-term.
Take my money...get LLC setup quick...if you need help PM me...I'm a product designer (3D work, illustrations, renderings, etc) I have my own LLC ?

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
How about a fresh bump for the new year, even though av8or has his for sale, i'm still curious what the solution was here.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Update?

QCRanger48

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Looks like it's time for the yearly bump on this. Lol.

Seriously though, has anyone found any quick disconnects?
Sponsored