Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Get the kit from Ford. Have them install it.
And I agree - we sit here on the eve of 2021, just two decades past the time we were promised flying cars and I still have to use a key to start my truck. This technology has been around for 40 years now. AND WHERE IS MY MR. FUSION?
Sponsored

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
And I agree - we sit here on the eve of 2021, just two decades past the time we were promised flying cars and I still have to use a key to start my truck. This technology has been around for 40 years now. AND WHERE IS MY MR. FUSION?
My brother is all living the high life I guess. He wanted to drive my Ranger when he was here for a visit. He gets in, starts looking around and then asked me where the start button was. I said its in your hand and pointed at they key.

I'm just a use the key for the ignition scrub. haha

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My brother is all living the high life I guess. He wanted to drive my Ranger when he was here for a visit. He gets in, starts looking around and then asked me where the start button was. I said its in your hand and pointed at they key.

I'm just a use the key for the ignition scrub. haha
It took me a while the first time I used a push button start. It was a rental about 6-7 years ago and every time I got in I pulled the fob out of my pocket to key start it. My last two trucks have been push button and I love not having to take the fob out all day long.

I just wish it was smaller because when I'm wearing gym type shorts it's like having a boat anchor in your front pocket. lol Then add in an iPhone 8+ in the other and I can't keep my shorts from falling down. :surprised:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
What kit from Ford?
The only kit they offer is for remote start with a separate fob, if you don't have it. You still need to put your key in and turn it on to get the truck out of park and drive.

Jack, I think you may be out of luck on this one. After the wife's car having it it is nice, but I like too many other things about my truck, I'll live without it. I do like the remote start, which mine has, in the the winter. Works nice on hot days too.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Yeah, no push button start is a sore spot for me regarding the Rangers. My 2016 Mustang has push button start, but they can't put it in the Ranger? My wife's 2017 Jag F-Pace is push button start and her 2013 BMW X3 before that was push button start. For two months I kept getting in my Ranger with keys in pocket and then cussing because I had to dig them out to start the truck.

I think Ford really had to stretch with the options to justify the money for a Lariat upgrade and the other models ending up suffering for some things that should be fairly basic now. Push button start is definitely one of them.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
What kit from Ford?
The only kit they offer is for remote start with a separate fob, if you don't have it. You still need to put your key in and turn it on to get the truck out of park and drive.

Jack, I think you may be out of luck on this one. After the wife's car having it it is nice, but I like too many other things about my truck, I'll live without it. I do like the remote start, which mine has, in the the winter. Works nice on hot days too.
When I was buying the Ranger there was an option for about $200ish to have PBS included. I'm sure if you get it as an add on there's more to it than that. Roll up to the dealership and tell them you want to shower them with money - that PBS will miracle right out of someones @$$.

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Agree with Frenchy on buying a vehicle. I researched the Ranger before buying and made a list of the options I wanted.

The PBS was not high on my list, but it is a nice feature. What was high were LED headlights, leather interior and adaptive cruise control. That meant I needed a Lariat. After 1.5 years I'm totally happy with my purchase.

Have to admit that I'm not trilled with the FOB for the PBS. It has a tendency to set off the alert while in my pocket or hanging on my belt when I bend over or sit down.

To the OP. I'm not being condescending, but I'm older and have purchased a few new vehicles in my lifetime. If you can make a list of the options you want before buying. Remember this advice if you buy a new vehicle again.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Honestly if you don't like the idea of keyed ignition and would rather get a push-button then do yourself a favor and go trade the truck in for a Lariat that already has the push button ignition. This is something you should have thought about when buying the truck. I myself prefer to have a solid key because if something does happen I can just turn the key to shut the truck off. That is as long as it works.
Although I don't share the OP's passion for push button start, I applaud his being frugal.

"Trade the truck for a Lariat" means he pays an extra $4,000 for a bunch of stuff he doesn't need or want.

Last edited:

dbm1175

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
IT Guy
I think Ford really had to stretch with the options to justify the money for a Lariat upgrade and the other models ending up suffering for some things that should be fairly basic now. Push button start is definitely one of them.
This. ☝?️

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
When I was buying the Ranger there was an option for about $200ish to have PBS included. I'm sure if you get it as an add on there's more to it than that. Roll up to the dealership and tell them you want to shower them with money - that PBS will miracle right out of someones @$$.
Interesting. When / where were you buying?

I'm just placing a factory order for a 2021 XLT, and the dealership said there was no way to get PBS separately. It can only be through the Lariat.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Interesting. When / where were you buying?

I'm just placing a factory order for a 2021 XLT, and the dealership said there was no way to get PBS separately. It can only be through the Lariat.
PBS is one of the reasons I bought a Lariat. Was not available on other trims.

Reactions: EJH

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I specifically didn't want PBS. I'd have dealt with it if I'd ended up with a Lariat, but a truck with the majority of the things I wanted at a price that I could work with was sitting on the lot, so that's what I bought. I don't regret that decision.

I don't get the ranting about a vehicle that lacks PBS. So? I'm glad I'm not required to have it.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
This is the first push start vehicle I've owned and didn't care at the time about it being equipped or not. That said I've grown to love it. Much like when I bought my first of two Sport Tracs (01,08) they had a keyless touch pad that I didn't care about but swore I'd never get a vehicle without it after getting used to it. Point being at times there are things you don't think matter but later learn to love or wish you had. I'm also slightly puzzled why some care so much about what others want or spend on there own vehicles. Of course I'm a guy who has a dampener and tail gate applique which aren't popular here. :)
Sponsored