Programming Garage door opener

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I just spent 20 minutes trying to program my second door with no luck. My bride came out and told me to hold the hand held much closer Less than 1/2" and wiggle it around by the homelink, I followed the hand held programming instruction. It immediately changed from a slow flash to flashing quickly. I pressed the button again and the door opened.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I just spent 20 minutes trying to program my second door with no luck. My bride came out and told me to hold the hand held much closer Less than 1/2" and wiggle it around by the homelink, I followed the handle held programming instruction. It immediately changed from a slow flash to flashing quickly. I pressed the button again and the door opened.
Smart lady! Hold onto that one!
?

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Smart lady! Hold onto that one!
?
Yes she is, today is our 25th year anniversary, looking forward to the next 25. She read the directions verbatim!

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Finally got my door opener programmed today. It was a.challenge and didn’t match exactly any of the instructions I had seen so thought I would post just in case they would be helpful for anyone. I thought it was likely an incomparable Genie door opener so finally I gave up and explained what I had tried in a chat session with Genie Company. Again as I say, it did not match anything I had read, but it may be that the biggest issue was that support person said the truck must be running. He mentioned that even though the manual said it did not, he suggest he has nearly always been unsuccessful if the vehicle was not running. Here are his instructions:
1. Make sure the Ford Ranger is on and running
2. Make sure the garage door is already open and you have access to the Learn code button on the opener (Model PCG600).
3. Go into the running Ford Ranger and clear the HomeLInk code by holding the two outside buttons for 20 seconds.
4. When the ranger LED (on the visor controller) starts blinking the HomeLInk is now cleared.
5.Press and hold the Garage door remote (from other vehicle) and the desired button (to program) on the Ranger at the same time 3 inches from each other, waiting for a slow to fast blink on that button.
6. When it goes to a fast blink...the transfer is complete.
7. Go to the opener (in my case a Genie Chain Glide PCG600.) Press and release the Learn code button, a Red LED will start flashing and you’ll have 30 seconds to run back to the Ranger, where you will press and release the button you trained earlier 3 to 5 times, or until the door starts to wor (up to about 9 times).

My door went up on the third push. It really seems like a combination of the first remote training and the manual programming of the door described in the manual. But all with the truck running. Which was different than the manual. Really shouldn’t be that hard but there are a billion different receivers for door openers. Hope this helps any who are still having issues.
I need to thank you.
After many attempts using the manual instructions I just about gave up. Then I ran across your post. BINGO!
Programmed successfully on the first attempt!
Thanks again!

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Finally got my door opener programmed today. It was a.challenge and didn’t match exactly any of the instructions I had seen so thought I would post just in case they would be helpful for anyone. I thought it was likely an incomparable Genie door opener so finally I gave up and explained what I had tried in a chat session with Genie Company. Again as I say, it did not match anything I had read, but it may be that the biggest issue was that support person said the truck must be running. He mentioned that even though the manual said it did not, he suggest he has nearly always been unsuccessful if the vehicle was not running. Here are his instructions:
1. Make sure the Ford Ranger is on and running
2. Make sure the garage door is already open and you have access to the Learn code button on the opener (Model PCG600).
3. Go into the running Ford Ranger and clear the HomeLInk code by holding the two outside buttons for 20 seconds.
4. When the ranger LED (on the visor controller) starts blinking the HomeLInk is now cleared.
5.Press and hold the Garage door remote (from other vehicle) and the desired button (to program) on the Ranger at the same time 3 inches from each other, waiting for a slow to fast blink on that button.
6. When it goes to a fast blink...the transfer is complete.
7. Go to the opener (in my case a Genie Chain Glide PCG600.) Press and release the Learn code button, a Red LED will start flashing and you’ll have 30 seconds to run back to the Ranger, where you will press and release the button you trained earlier 3 to 5 times, or until the door starts to wor (up to about 9 times).

My door went up on the third push. It really seems like a combination of the first remote training and the manual programming of the door described in the manual. But all with the truck running. Which was different than the manual. Really shouldn’t be that hard but there are a billion different receivers for door openers. Hope this helps any who are still having issues.
I followed Larry’s instruction exactly and it worked lIke’s a charm.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I followed Larry’s instruction exactly and it worked lIke’s a charm.

OK a bit of a nit related to the topic - I'm not impressed by the range of my Ranger's signal, my other 2 vehicles beat it by maybe 50 yds. Despite that I still park it in my garage.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Just struggled with this for 30 minutes until I found this thread. Popped out LED bulbs and worked instantly. Just ordered new bulbs off Amazon. The radio must be weak in the Ranger.

bgtruck

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2015 Cadillac cts vsport
Occupation
Yes
My remote is old and even with new battery’s would not work. I pulled the key pad off the garage door and used that to program the button in the ranger. Got the fast blink. Pressed learn on the garage door motor. Pressed held release pressed held released pressed and presto garage door closed.

it took me about 20 minutes this evening. Last night my GF and I were trying for an hour with out a remote close by and it was awful. We got in a fight. Lol

My Cadillac didn’t need the remote so I assumed it would be easy. Well it’s done I’m happy. Now I get to spend more money buying recovery gear.

nate237

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Just posting in case it helps someone out. I couldn't get my opener to program. I ended up going out to the middle of nowhere, away from houses, lights, etc, and did the part to learn with the existing remote. Went back home and it worked like a dream. So in my case, interference was foiling the learning process.

P-38Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I did mine with the learn bun on my garage door unit. It worked quickly and easily. Then without telling me my daughter had problems with hers in her car, change the batteries. It didn’t work so she bought a new one. They never told me. I tried it again the old one and it worked so be careful!
Programming a new one can wipe an old one

Deleted member 15875

I've tried everything to get my Ranger to program with my garage door, but no success using all the procedures I could find online and YT. :headbang:

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I've tried everything to get my Ranger to program with my garage door, but no success using all the procedures I could find online and YT. :headbang:
If you have LED lights in the opener or garage then disconnect them somehow, they will interfere with programming..

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
What kind of door opener and how old?

Also, were you able to get the button(s) in the truck programmed and can’t get it to be accepted by the opener, or can you not get the truck opener to accept the signal from your existing remote?

Maybe you could post of video of what’s happening….

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase