Premium gas towing

Jimmy07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL/STX
Is anyone having to use premium gas when towing ? Owner's manual recommends premium during hot weather and when towing.
Sponsored

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I would use premium gas when I tow. Gas is nasty cheap today.

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
I use it all the time. In CA premium is only 20-30 cents more a gallon. No brainer

Livernois Motorsports

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150
These EcoBoost engines will always perform to the best of their abilities on premium fuel. The use of lower octane fuels causes them to knock and pull timing / boost to compensate for the lack of octane. So most EB engines see roughly a 12-15% loss of power from using low octane since it's pulling back power Ford intended it to have.

This is why it makes sense to use good premium fuel when towing and things of this nature to ensure the truck's performing at it's peak potential. We tune a ton of these turbo engines and using good fuel is even more critical when it comes to adding more horsepower and torque. They also usually see their best fuel mileage on higher octane fuels as well since they are able to control timing and boost as they see fit instead of being held back by lack of octane.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone having to use premium gas when towing ? Owner's manual recommends premium during hot weather and when towing.
I tow about 5000 pound trailer. One trip I tried using just regular. Result? Power is definitely reduced as well as gas millage. It was an experiment, but when towing I now use at least mid-octane gas. I use regular when not towing.

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
93 octane only since day one. Towing my 3500lb Casita I got up to 16.5mpg @ 65-70

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I have yet to do any towing with my truck but I can say once I put in 91 I felt the response increase with my truck. The overall power and fuel mileage did increase a little bit too. I would just put premium fuel in there anyways for those benefits alone and for Towing. Thankfully these vehicles are designed to run on 91 so it's not a waste. Not like most naturally aspirated vehicles that are only designed to run on 87.
Sponsored