First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Lariat with the adaptive cruise and they're definitely different systems. I've used the adaptive cruise a fair amount but worried my collision assist wasn't actually working because I hadn't ever seen it activate (until this morning). The adaptive cruise controls speed/distance above a certain minimum and is nice to have on the freeway for long distance. On the display (on the Lariat) it's a set of small icons of the truck, vehicle in front if there is one, and distance.

In terms of the collision assist, I was moving into a turn lane and people stopped suddenly, the instrument cluster screen lit up with a bunch of huge red warnings and definitely made noise. I had already braked so it didn't activate that, but the warnings are totally different from the adaptive cruise system.
Sponsored

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
Car and Driver tested four vehiclesā€™ collision avoidance systems. The article didnā€™t answer all the questions raised in this discussion but it did help me understand a bit more about the variables involved. Hereā€™s a link to the article: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...es-automatic-braking-system-tested-explained/
Thanks for the article. I found it informative. I guess I was expecting the pre collision system to work/activate the same between my Explorer and Ranger since they're both Ford vehicles. Since they don't, I immediately thought something was wrong with the Ranger. I believe Gray Horizon made a comment to me stating my two vehicles are two years apart so technology changes. Makes sense. The Car and Driver article used different manufacturers as test vehicles. I wonder if testing like that has been done staying within the same manufacture using different models showing the differences between them?

DrummerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜95 Taco
Thanks for the article. I found it informative. I guess I was expecting the pre collision system to work/activate the same between my Explorer and Ranger since they're both Ford vehicles. Since they don't, I immediately thought something was wrong with the Ranger. I believe Gray Horizon made a comment to me stating my two vehicles are two years apart so technology changes. Makes sense. The Car and Driver article used different manufacturers as test vehicles. I wonder if testing like that has been done staying within the same manufacture using different models showing the differences between them?
That would be interesting. I suspect sensor location alone would create some deltas. All in all itā€™s a remarkable technology. I have no intention of relying on collision avoidance technology but, if Iā€™m going to be honest, there are times I just plain screw up when I drive. Itā€™s a darn good backup.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
I know for sure that mine works. Last night I was entering a highway on the ramp, accelerating rapidly to merge, when the car in front of me decided to slow down almost to a stop .The windshield lit up with the red lights for the collision assist and I believe a loud buzzing sound went off, it happened so fast I'm not sure what the sound was but it sure got my attention, since it was dark the red lights lit up the whole windshield. I was probably still 50 feet or so behind the other vehicle.

I was already braking so I don't believe it assisted with the brakes.

Last edited:

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Well after having my doubts about the system functioning and after 2 months of driving with it on high sensitivity, it went off for the first time. I was distracted by looking at something to the left of me (squirrel...) and when I turned back traffic in front of me was stopped. Pre Collision alert went off. I think the key that Gray Horizons eluded to is I was still on the accelerator and not decelerating and/or braking.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Well after having my doubts about the system functioning and after 2 months of driving with it on high sensitivity, it went off for the first time. I was distracted by looking at something to the left of me (squirrel...) and when I turned back traffic in front of me was stopped. Pre Collision alert went off. I think the key that Gray Horizons eluded to is I was still on the accelerator and not decelerating and/or braking.
I have 5700 miles and the system has activated twice at the lowest level (red light bar). The one I recall, a car entered my lane just in front of me. We were both going at approximately the same speed (maybe 55 mph). No real danger since the other car was accelerating and the lane was clear. But good to know that the system works.

petulantskeptic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat
I'm amazed that people don't have it go off more often as mine seems to dramatically over-sense people ahead of me in a travel lane who are making a right hand turn. Even if I'm going 35 and there are 4-5 car lengths, when they slow down to turn my dash alert goes off.

Have had it helpfully activate once on the freeway when the car in front of me slammed its brakes on due to some trash that was fluttering about (which I couldn't see through their car). They slammed their brakes on *HARD* at ~70mph and the system alerted and (I think) accentuated my immediate brake response per the manual. Anyway, it's a nice system aside from the isolated over-sensing case I mentioned above.

Typow

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Vehicle Showcase
When using the cruise control, I set the distance on the furthest setting. On a stretch of 55mph down to 35mph for example, Ive let my self drift a little faster than the car Infront of me and the engine definitely slows me down to keep the same distance. I've driven quite a few miles only using my cruise control/distance control. Not in stop and go traffic!!

Deleted member 1634

Finally had mine activate last week. It was just the warning, since I was already in the process of moving my foot over to the brake. And it was a weird situation too. We were plenty far back, much further back than plenty of other times when I feel like it should've dinged at me. The only thing I can think of is that in most other cases I'm not "blindly moving forward doing nothing" like I was in this case. Most other cases I've either lifted my foot off the gas already or taken some other kind of action to let the truck know that I am doing something. This time, since there was still plenty of room, I was just going along without any personal intervention, so the truck might've thought I didn't see it or wasn't paying attention. Same kind of thing happens with the lane keep assist, where it'll yell at me to keep my hands on the wheel even though they have been the whole time, I just haven't moved the wheel or done any minor adjustments in a pre-determined amount of time, so the truck is getting no feedback from me and thinks I'm not paying attention or touching the wheel.

Just a thought on how the system may work.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Mine false-alarmed yesterday in an empty lane. I think it misjudged the cars sitting in the left turn lane as I passed them. There was an alert, but it didn't activate emergency braking.

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
I am wondering if I have a defect on my pre-collision system? I am almost have 2k miles, and not once see anything come on.. I went into settings and set it on "High" a few days after I got it.

is the sensor the one behind the rear view mirror?

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I am wondering if I have a defect on my pre-collision system? I am almost have 2k miles, and not once see anything come on.. I went into settings and set it on "High" a few days after I got it.

is the sensor the one behind the rear view mirror?
On the STX 2WD with the 2.3" productivity screen, the precollision warning light is a BRIGHT line of LEDs, directly in front of the driver right at the base of the windshield. It should light up momentarily when you first start the truck.
On the 4X4 or the complete Co-Pilot suite, with the 4.3" productivity screen it is an on screen warning.

Last edited:

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
On the STX , the precollision warning light is a BRIGHT line of LEDs, directly in front of the driver right at the base of the windshield. It should light up momentarily when you first start the truck.
Yes, I've seen that light up at the start, but nothing else afterwards. I am sure I've been in the "range" for it to trigger (close to a car ahead of me.)

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Yes, I've seen that light up, but nothing else. I am sure I've been in the "range" for it to trigger (close to a car ahead of me.)
It is triggered by a combination of proximity and speed. I have had mine for 3000 miles and have not had the courage to field test it!:whew:
The fact that it lights when started is to show you that it is functional.
Try it with a giant cardboard box:question:

Traneman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4x4
It is triggered by a combination of proximity and speed. I have had mine for 3000 miles and have not had the courage to field test it!:whew:
The fact that it lights when started is to show you that it is functional.
Try it with a giant cardboard box:question:
I've thought of something like that.. Or throw a glove across the camera? That behind the mirror right?
Sponsored