First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well after having the joy of running AlphaRex LUXX series headlights on my truck I have come to the conclusion that they were not for me for a few reasons. First off due to the color of the light it can still be an issue in inclement weather(Rain, Snow annd Fog). Second I was starting to not light the light pattern or the projector much.

After all that I decided to go back to the factory reflector housings but still use halogen lights(a better version at least right?!). The bulb of choice I went woth was the PIAA Xtreme White Plus in both H11(low.and fog) and 9005(high beam). The reason I chose the light is due to the known reputation in the Racing industry and seeing the review online. The Xtreme White Plus is a brighter than stock bulb and supposedly has has the ability to act double the power while not sacrificing the lift of the bulb. How it does that I have no idea but PIAA does claim this.

Here is the links to the two bulbs:
https://www.piaa.com/store/p/47-H11-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx
https://www.piaa.com/store/p/60-9005-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx

Like any bulb installation is pretty simple so anyone can figure it out. As for the brightness it definitely does what it needs. At a color temperature of 4000K the light should be able to cut through Fog and other types of inclement weather compared to most of the aftermarket LED lights on the market(both drop in bulbs and LED lamp assemblies). Also the lights dont cause the glare that a drop in LED will cause(no since in arguing that one).

How is the distamce compared to the AlphaRex? As to no suprise the low beams are a little shorter but that is to be expected. Was it better than stock? Absolutely!! What about width? I feel the PIAA's are a bit wider. That may be due to the design of the reflector housings and the help of the PIAA bulbs. I also prefer the scatter profile of the high beams vs the projector lights. Dont get me wrong, projectors are nice but the high beams only add light to the center.

So far I can say I like the lights. Over time I willsee what changes I can make for things to be better. Overall I am happy and feel this is something others should do.

Here are some shots of the output including some steam right after a car wash.

Steam in the light(simulates Fog and could be an issues still)
0122221955a.jpg

Low beam only
0122221931b.jpg

Low beam and fog
0122221931a.jpg

Low anf high beam
0122221931c.jpg

Low high and fog
0122221931.jpg

Fog only
0122221931d.jpg

As you can tell for the pictures the light output is good in the forward direction. The view in person is definitely better but since no one else was here its hard for anyone else to say.

0122221931a.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

a33maxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious to see how much life you get out of them. I tried these years ago in one of my old vehicles, but I could never get them to last more than 6 months. Same result with Sylvania Silverstar and other brands. Maybe the quality has improved since then.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for sharing, I'm curious to see how much life you get out of them. I tried these years ago in one of my old vehicles, but I could never get them to last more than 6 months. Same result with Sylvania Silverstar and other brands. Maybe the quality has improved since then.
Only time will tell. One thing that helps is tue driving light is currently deactivated

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
Well 4WP's shipped my set and Amazon already dropped off my LEDs. Debating which to try and which to send back.

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
I used to upgrade to PIAA bulbs. Was happy with the performance and found the price acceptable. I was happy with the lifespan on them as well. What turned me off was constantly being flashed by oncoming drivers. I knew this meant the lights were brighter/higher than stock. Once one needed replacing, I switched to Sylvania Silverstars. You know the story with those, every 6 months….
Anyway, it seems like the lights from the big companies have come a long way. Good luck over the long term.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I used to upgrade to PIAA bulbs. Was happy with the performance and found the price acceptable. I was happy with the lifespan on them as well. What turned me off was constantly being flashed by oncoming drivers. I knew this meant the lights were brighter/higher than stock. Once one needed replacing, I switched to Sylvania Silverstars. You know the story with those, every 6 months….
Anyway, it seems like the lights from the big companies have come a long way. Good luck over the long term.
Chances are your lights were not aimed correctly if you were being flashed. I knew I was going to have to aim the lights after install and after taking care of it I haven't had to worry about being flashed. If anything just people that keep the brights on or habe the drop in LED's

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Chances are your lights were not aimed correctly if you were being flashed. I knew I was going to have to aim the lights after install and after taking care of it I haven't had to worry about being flashed. If anything just people that keep the brights on or habe the drop in LED's
New vehicle, OEM light was fine. Didn’t get flashed with the Sylvania bulbs. Just the nature of some bulbs in some headlight housings.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well 4WP's shipped my set and Amazon already dropped off my LEDs. Debating which to try and which to send back.
Do not bother with drop in LED lights. They will cause excessive glare to other drivers and it becomes a nuisance. If you go led you need to go to projector housings. Also depending on the color of the light it will be useless in inclement weather

umop3pisdn

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04/16 PX2 Ranger XLS
Occupation
Bodyshop
Vehicle Showcase
My XLS only has halogen crappers so swapped out with Stedi LED's. They're a cleaner whiter light but because they're an LED which only shines in two directions, unlike a halogen globe that throws light 360 degrees, you don't get the distance.
When one of the Stedi's failed, I went to Repco and got some random ones. I was able to rotate the LED unit in the base to a point where I was able to get good throw. I adjusted them down as far as I could go but kept getting flashed by other drivers. That was bad cos oh noes hi-beam in the face but good cos haha eat spotlights! Anyways, I had the 2" front lift in at the time but once I lifted the rear, didn't have a problem.
Well, 'cept these dunga lights had heatsinks and fans on them which made squeezing them into the headlight itself rarher difficult. That's where being able to turn them was quite handy.
Anyways, they wemt in March 2021 and one died yesterday so lifespan was shit. Got a r/h XLT xenon/DRL light so gonna get left hand one and have much betterer light and looks ?
Bit of a rant there but hopefully someone gets something useful out of it lol

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
The LEDs were the ones that several members use with are the correct design for LEDs and emulate bulb's. I have to do some more research.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The LEDs were the ones that several members use with are the correct design for LEDs and emulate bulb's. I have to do some more research.
Yeah there is no such think as a drop in LED designed for reflector housings. No mater what you do you wont get the distance and you will cause glare to other drivers. I ran into this myself. Also chances are the LED light you bought are roo white or blue and will cause major issues in inclement weather. In a reflector housing that came with halogen bulbs you are best to use halogen bulbs or replace the entire housing to a projector to use LED or HID lights. Simple as that.

With the PIAA i still get a good throw on light and with them aimed correctly I do not have people flashing me either. The only things I question is what is the life expectancy and are the lights too white for inclement weather? Only time will tell but once i know I will update.

OP
OP
Frenchy

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well I am back with a 1 month update(close enough I say). As mentioned before these lights are broght for what they are. Have I had to worry about getring flashed? No thankfully and I can say the output is wonderfully at night. I recently had a 2 hour trip home the other night and had very little traffic to worrt about so I was able to put my lights to the test. Down road was great and corner light was definitely improved compared to the factory lights. How do they compare to the drop in LED lights? Lets just say these are better, simple as that. I actually have more clarity with these. So far in light snow I can see well too since the light isnt being reflected back as much either. As for the total life expectancy? Well I'm just getting started so only time will tell.

Adamcarr

First Name
Adolf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford ranger xlt
Well after having the joy of running AlphaRex LUXX series headlights on my truck I have come to the conclusion that they were not for me for a few reasons. First off due to the color of the light it can still be an issue in inclement weather(Rain, Snow annd Fog). Second I was starting to not light the light pattern or the projector much.

After all that I decided to go back to the factory reflector housings but still use halogen lights(a better version at least right?!). The bulb of choice I went woth was the PIAA Xtreme White Plus in both H11(low.and fog) and 9005(high beam). The reason I chose the light is due to the known reputation in the Racing industry and seeing the review online. The Xtreme White Plus is a brighter than stock bulb and supposedly has has the ability to act double the power while not sacrificing the lift of the bulb. How it does that I have no idea but PIAA does claim this.

Here is the links to the two bulbs:
https://www.piaa.com/store/p/47-H11-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx
https://www.piaa.com/store/p/60-9005-XTreme-White-Plus-Twin-Pack-Halogen-Bulbs.aspx

Like any bulb installation is pretty simple so anyone can figure it out. As for the brightness it definitely does what it needs. At a color temperature of 4000K the light should be able to cut through Fog and other types of inclement weather compared to most of the aftermarket LED lights on the market(both drop in bulbs and LED lamp assemblies). Also the lights dont cause the glare that a drop in LED will cause(no since in arguing that one).

How is the distamce compared to the AlphaRex? As to no suprise the low beams are a little shorter but that is to be expected. Was it better than stock? Absolutely!! What about width? I feel the PIAA's are a bit wider. That may be due to the design of the reflector housings and the help of the PIAA bulbs. I also prefer the scatter profile of the high beams vs the projector lights. Dont get me wrong, projectors are nice but the high beams only add light to the center.

So far I can say I like the lights. Over time I willsee what changes I can make for things to be better. Overall I am happy and feel this is something others should do.

Here are some shots of the output including some steam right after a car wash.

Steam in the light(simulates Fog and could be an issues still)
0122221955a.jpg

Low beam only
0122221931b.jpg

Low beam and fog
0122221931a.jpg

Low anf high beam
0122221931c.jpg

Low high and fog
0122221931.jpg

Fog only
0122221931d.jpg

As you can tell for the pictures the light output is good in the forward direction. The view in person is definitely better but since no one else was here its hard for anyone else to say.

0122221931a.jpg
@Frenchy Just want to double tap. These light do in fact fit the ranger, correct? Amazon says it is not a fit. Just want to make sure before I pull trigger.
Sponsored