First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
All this talk about LED causing excessive glare. ?

Honestly LED's while brighter and whiter in color are not anywhere near as bad with glare production in reflector housings as HID's were/are. Just a few short years ago it seemed that every third car down here in Houston had HID's in both the headlights and fog lights. Let me tell you it was horrific trying to drive at night. They would spray so much light out that it was nigh impossible to see in some cases as they passed by. Gods forbid they were behind you... Now with LED's taking over in popularity the glare issue is all but a thing of the past. Even for me with fuchs dystrophy that causes even more glare from every light source. Yeah sure they are bright and whither in color, but the vast majority of quality LED's do a rather surprisingly good job at producing the same beam array from reflectors as halogens. The end result is far less glare towards oncoming traffic than HID's.

Is it more than halogens? Yeah, but nothing like those idiots with HID's or their brights on ALL the time.
The glare is still bad with a drop in LED or HID no matter how you look at it. Both are best in a projector housing and the only time it is ok to have an led in a reflector housing is if the housing was designed for the LED light(and yes they are made).
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The glare is still bad with a drop in LED or HID no matter how you look at it. Both are best in a projector housing and the only time it is ok to have an led in a reflector housing is if the housing was designed for the LED light(and yes they are made).

Boils down to it being subjective for each driver. What is considered bad glare for you is not for others. At the end of the day is there really anything that anyone can do about it? No.. Any concerns and opinions can be voiced but that's about it.

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
I like the idea of LEDs as they last longer and draw less power. But most have "too blue" of a color/Kelvin Temp FOR MY TASTE. I like the warmer hue of the halogens. Now as far as snow, fog, rain, dust, bugs, whatever...the backscatter off those in different lighting situations has varied for me. There have been times I wish I had brighter lights, and times I wish I could dial them down. Everyone's eyes are different. What one says is too bright, the other will say it's not enough.

Also, I'm no engineer, and don't play one on TV. But the idea of a small filament and a small diode being THAT much different in the size/distance/location in a headlight housing is relatively the same. So it's not the fact that there is glare, whatever, from the the location of the bulb filament/diode, but maybe lumens?? I personally could care less if the brighter lumens glares from my headlight housing to give me more light down the road. These are trucks with simple twist in/out bulbs. Not fancy housings that can move the bulbs forward or back like a mag flashlight, which can "focus" that beam pattern to your liking. Hence, the addition of fog lights, ditch light, etc.

Until someone creates a headlight housing that can be controlled like a flashlight regarding the adjustment of the beam pattern from the driver's seat, I'll go with what works for me. Again, MY preference is a warmer color and less maintenance (replacement). Your preferences WILL vary.

**On a side note: While my OCD can't stand seeing bluish headlights, yellowish fog lights, bright white bumper LEDs, and purple undercarriage lights ? all from the same vehicle. I've come to really enjoy and understand that while I like my fog lights to match my headlights in color/Kelvin, I really see the benefit (at least for me) of the actual YELLOW fog lights. The yellow tint with the warm halogen glow, for me, does help me see better. Thanks for listening to my older opinion and rant. Never thought I'd be chatting away this morning of all things...color of lights :crackup::crazy::facepalm:

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
In clear daylight you are doing no good for trying to prove your point. Try driving in a snow storm with such a high color temp light
You must be having a slow day, he wasn't trying to prove a point, just showing how much snow they get... sheese!

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Vehicle Showcase
Incorrect sir, I'm in the Rockies of Colorado. I have already delt with drop in led lights in the ranger and have personal experience driving in snow. With drop in LED lights it is impossible to see in front of you due to the light color temp and the fact the reflector housings are scatter beams. When I ran the Alpharex I didn't have as much issue in snow bit fog was a different story. One I went to the PIAA lights I did not have an issue with snow what so ever(couldn't speak on the fog since it did happen during that time period.

Put simple your drop in LED lights are not as good as you think.
I run Auxito & did not have a problem in the snow,rain, or fog. They work for me.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I might try a "hybrid" set up using LEDs only in the high beams. They would never be on with on coming traffic an would light up the back country roads.

WolfgangVTS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I might try a "hybrid" set up using LEDs only in the high beams. They would never be on with on coming traffic an would light up the back country roads.
That’s what I currently do. I have the PIAA Xtreme white halogens in my lows and the Auxito 16,000 lumen leds in my highs. I had the 16,000 lumen Auxitos in my lows before, but I removed them due to the fact that they overpowered the reflector housing and caused way too much glare. I got flashed a lot regardless of how low I aimed them, and I actually had one person try to run me off the road because of them.

rbern

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger stx 4x4
Occupation
Factory
Auxito 1:1 H11 fog and Low and 9005 hi's
I know this is an old thread and I'm just picked a spot to jump in but.......im on the fence to..something I see not taken into consideration is eyesight?? Frenchy who swears bu all the literature he's read stands behind it. How old is he? Does he wear glasses? Is he at an age that cataracts are starting.. those with the above issues why 110% argue the glare/reflector/led arguement as if it's important or divided like pro life vs pro choice..I wear glasses and if it rains the glare from a street light or a 20 year old flashlight blinds me with glare so bad it's a struggle at times...hell the new vehicles designed with that use factory led headlamps blind me in output and adjustment to me it's worse than the glare reflection led debacle ..all I'm saying is every one's eye sight might be a bigger factor on the hate side of glare. Get a retrofitter that opens up and custom install reflector hids....they will stab you in your sleep for even mentioning led drop ins.. considering they also have no respect for DOT laws themself which breaks many more guidelines than drop ins for DOT. Hopefully after 10 more years the new nhtsa guidelines for auto manufacturers European style o.e. lights will put this topic to rest. Lmfao????
Sponsored