Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I’m confused too.

LARIAT / TREMOR - 501A

IMG_8171.jpeg
My sticker says the same thing. Still doesn't do shit, and never has.

Have you tested your "alarm" ever? Or did you just ASSume it does something? I've tested mine, and as others on the forum have found, it's useless without the add on.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It's never worked like that on my Lariat.
On my '19 the alarm was instant and I never got this notification but on my '23 it gives you this warning first. I couldn't get the whole thing on video because the file was to long but after 10 secs the alarm goes off.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
OK, so an update. I talked with the owner of my local Ford dealer and he suggested that there was a time setting built in that must be hit before the alarm is set. He didn't know if it was 5 minutes or 15 minutes or whatever but he said it's not like you lock the doors and boom, the system is "armed".

I came home and locked the doors with the fob then went to do other projects, including reading all of these messages on this thread. I just now walked outside and reached in and unlocked the doors. The alarm didn't go off but the dashboard had a message with a beeping sound saying something to the effect that the alarm had been triggered and I better start the car to stop it. Then the beeping got faster. Then it got really fast. Then, sure enough, the horn and lights went crazy!

I killed it with the fob then relocked the door, this time using the Securicode pad. I'll wait an hour and go back and hopefully get the same results.

So, apparently he was 100% correct. There is a time threshold that must be met before the alarm system is considered "armed". Kind of strange, to me. If this is the way it works, a thief would know that the best time to break in is right after you left your vehicle.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what I discover in the next test.
If so he might be the only dealer ever to know something. I'll test that out. Thanks.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
If so he might be the only dealer ever to know something. I'll test that out. Thanks.
Yeah, I'm in a small town and this family is Ford through and through. They truly know their product and in my dealings with them over the past five years, they have filled me with confidence, as opposed to what most dealers fill me with.

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
My sticker says the same thing. Still doesn't do shit, and never has.

Have you tested your "alarm" ever? Or did you just ASSume it does something? I've tested mine, and as others on the forum have found, it's useless without the add on.
Well I've had mine sort of test itself, much the way the OP has now commented his worked (a time threshold must be met).

So I'm sorry your "shit" don't work, I would have ASSumed yours would too. Sounds like you have a defective truck.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Well, I'll be. Set the lock with the Securicode pad and left it for 15 minutes. Opened the door and the beeping started!!! Got faster, then really fast, then POW! Well, at least I know I didn't screw anything up!!!

Thanks for all the replies. We all learned something new today!

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
On my '19 the alarm was instant and I never got this notification but on my '23 it gives you this warning first. I couldn't get the whole thing on video because the file was to long but after 10 secs the alarm goes off.

Yep, that's the one!!!

Now, I just wonder how long that time threshold is???

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well, I'll be. Set the lock with the Securicode pad and left it for 15 minutes. Opened the door and the beeping started!!! Got faster, then really fast, then POW! Well, at least I know I didn't screw anything up!!!

Thanks for all the replies. We all learned something new today!
I did it the first time right away and it didn't work. The second time I waited about 1 minute and it worked fine. Tried this 3 more times and it seems like 1 minute is the set time. Must be so in case you're trying to get into your truck after locking it you don't set it off unintentionally.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I did it the first time right away and it didn't work. The second time I waited about 1 minute and it worked fine. Tried this 3 more times and it seems like 1 minute is the set time. Must be so in case you're trying to get into your truck after locking it you don't set it off unintentionally.
That was my guess, too. Prevents a lot of false positives.

I'm glad to hear it's only a minute or so. I thought it was preposterous to go 15!!! Thanks!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Just played with mine. 1 minutes seems correct.

That being said, I still find the factory alarm to be next to useless. If I wanted to protect my truck the "plus" add on would be in order.

Last edited:

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I have had numerous events involving the alarm.
Works well, although annoying.

Let me set the stage

I don't know why it happens at my dealer literally every time, but when I go in to get some seat time in the new models, it's a gong show.
The windows are always down. The doors are locked and the key fob is either in the cup holder, or on some salesmans desk who happens to be on break, or out of the building.
I go to open the door. its locked. reach in and flip the interior handle. door opens, noises begin.

When the later happens, its a crazy time watching everyone run around and search for the key.

Let me tell you though, all those Lincoln Models are sweet inside. I cant pass up sitting in the LazyBoy interiors, even if the alarm is going to make a scene.
Not sure if there is anything they can do differently, but I always expect it, even if they don't.

OP
OP
TimmyB

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have had numerous events involving the alarm.
Works well, although annoying.

Let me set the stage

I don't know why it happens at my dealer literally every time, but when I go in to get some seat time in the new models, it's a gong show.
The windows are always down. The doors are locked and the key fob is either in the cup holder, or on some salesmans desk who happens to be on break, or out of the building.
I go to open the door. its locked. reach in and flip the interior handle. door opens, noises begin.

When the later happens, its a crazy time watching everyone run around and search for the key.

Let me tell you though, all those Lincoln Models are sweet inside. I cant pass up sitting in the LazyBoy interiors, even if the alarm is going to make a scene.
Not sure if there is anything they can do differently, but I always expect it, even if they don't.
Max Crafter, Senior Instigator

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
The confusion lies within the wording of the Alarm System.

The Perimeter Alarm (If equipped) from factory is below.

The Perimeter PLUS, adds the shock sensor, this is a aftermarket dealer add on.

Perimeter Anti-Theft Alarm - System Operation and Component Description
System Operation

System Diagram

Network Message Chart

IPC Network Input Messages

Broadcast MessageOriginating ModuleMessage Purpose
Perimeter alarm chime request BCMUsed by the IPC to sound the perimeter alarm chime during the 12-second delay.

BCM Network Input Messages

Broadcast MessageOriginating ModuleMessage Purpose
RKE data RTMUsed by the BCM to arm/disarm the perimeter alarm or to activate/deactivate the panic alarm.

Perimeter Alarm

The BCM controls the operation of the perimeter alarm. It monitors inputs from the RKE system, the passive entry system (if equipped) , the power door lock system, the door ajar status and the PATS to determine when to arm the perimeter alarm.

The BCM monitors all of the door ajar inputs and the hood ajar input to determine when to activate the perimeter alarm. When the BCM detects an input indicating an unauthorized entry into the vehicle, the BCM activates the perimeter alarm by sounding the anti theft alarm horn and flashing all the turn signals and interior courtesy lamps at regular intervals.

The BCM monitors the RKE system, the passive entry system (if equipped), and the PATS to determine when to disarm the perimeter alarm.

A switch inhibit feature temporarily disables the door lock control switches for 20 seconds after the vehicle is electronically locked. For detailed information of the switch inhibit feature,
Refer to: Handles, Locks, Latches and Entry Systems (501-14) .

Visual and audible feedback is also provided when locking or unlocking the vehicle. For detailed information of the vehicle locking and unlocking feedback,

Arming The Perimeter Alarm

The perimeter alarm is ready to arm any time the ignition is off. The perimeter alarm pre-arms when any of the following actions are carried out:

• Pressing the lock button on a RKE transmitter
  • Pressing the door lock control switch to the lock position with a front door open, and then closing the door
  • Locking the vehicle with the passive entry feature (if equipped)
Once the system is pre-armed, there is a 20-second countdown before the perimeter alarm is armed. Each entry point to the vehicle (hood and door) is armed separately and must be closed before that entry point begins the 20-second countdown to become armed. If all entry points are closed, the turn signals flash upon locking to indicate all entry points are entering the 20-second countdown.

Perimeter Alarm Activation

The perimeter alarm has a 12-second delay when the driver front door is opened without using a valid programmed RKE transmitter or a passive key to unlock the vehicle. During the delay, a chime sounds. If the perimeter alarm is not disarmed within the 12-second delay, the alarm activates.

The perimeter alarm activates when any of the following actions are carried out:

• The driver front door is opened without first receiving an unlock command from the passive entry feature or a valid programmed RKE transmitter, and the 12-second delay has expired.
  • Any other door or the hood is opened without first receiving an electronic unlock command from the passive entry feature or a valid programmed RKE transmitter.
The perimeter alarm only activates 10 times per arming cycle. After that, the alarm does not activate. To enable the perimeter alarm again, disarm the perimeter alarm and then arm it again.

Disarming The Perimeter Alarm

The perimeter alarm disarms when any of the following actions are carried out:

• Pressing the unlock button on a door lock control switch within the 20-second pre-arm
  • The smart unlock feature activates within the initial 20-second pre-arm
  • Pressing the unlock button on a valid programmed RKE transmitter
  • Using a valid programmed key to change the ignition to RUN
  • Unlocking a front door using the passive entry feature
Component Description

Door Latch

The door ajar switch, the lock/unlock solenoid and the door lock cylinder lock/unlock switches are part of the door latch and not serviceable separately.

The door ajar switch is monitored by the BCM and the primary function is for the courtesy lamps system.
Refer to: Interior Lighting (417-02) .

The lock/unlock solenoid is controlled by the BCM for locking and unlocking the door.

Hood Latch

The hood ajar switch is part of the hood latch and not serviceable separately.

BCM

The BCM controls the perimeter alarm.

The BCM requires PMI when replaced. Additionally, at least 2 keys must be programmed and the parameter reset procedure carried out.

Tiger02595

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Bourbon Ambassador
There is some time needed and the key fob needs to be not detected. I tested this as I was concerned that someone without a key could smash a window and open my tailgate. Or, unlock the truck by reaching through an open window to unlock it.

I found out at least for my truck that if I place my keys inside a Faraday box and try to reach in, the doors will not unlock and a message will display on screen with a "key not detected". The doors cannot be opened as well when I tested this a few months ago.

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Yeah… and now I can’t find peace before I find out about my truck. I know how different EU and US trucks can be.
Sponsored