First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Half the exhausts in the above video sound like farm tractors or Civic's! haha! Just my opinion.
yep......listened to them all. I should have recorded my face when each revved up. I'm sure most were a "meh" face, and some were a "wth" face.

I'm all for upgrading exhaust when it sounds good, but no exhaust on a 4-cyl has ever sounded good to me. Those Fat and Furious fans ruined it for me I guess.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Gotta love the good ol days!! Now it is non stop ringing and the 'what?' Getting tossed into all of my conversations.

I can't wait to make a decision and get all of this together for the new year!!
What's that you say Mike? :) I get it bud, I've been looking for the same exhaust system. I'd love to have a dual system with the sound of the stock system. I've got a sports car, so if I want noise I drive that one. But, in the truck I prefer just the radio or silence. I said all that to say this......glad you asked the question. I'm in for suggestions.

OP
OP
MVRanger

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Time to inject some humor into this pursuit of performance without dicibels:
Ordered a tuner from Livernois, went to load the 91-93 performance tune. Failed quite a few times trying to load it. Cant remember some of the error codes. Long story short, sitting in a freezing cab, it finally loaded. Happy with myself, I took it out for a spin. I should have filmed my ugly mug to show my disappointment. Truck didn't seem very different from normal. Came back home to sulk.

Fast forword an hour, back into a freezing cab (joys of winter), I thought that I would try to change to the tow tune. When I seen the selections it was highlighted on the 87 octane tune. I selected the 91-93 tune and low and behold I should have videoed my 'after'expression. Dayummm!!! What a difference!!
Figured this would give a few a late night chuckle seeing an old guy with limited electronic skills struggle and then suddenly see the light!! I failed with the low decibels because my uncomposed giggling was pretty loud

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Its pretty pointless to split the pipes after the cat converter. I find it hard to believe there is anything to gain from these exhaust systems.
I guess it depends on flow, two 2.5" pipes might have better flow than a single 3". Personally I like dual outlets, I prefer the look.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
I have a question with regards to a new exhaust system. I am interested in getting a downpipe and muffler system. I would like a duel rear exit for the sporty look.
My question: is it possible to get a nice performance upgrade without the additional noise usually associated with this change?

I do a lot of highway driving and have a lot of hearing loss from firearms. I am trying to get away from the continuous droning noise at speed and during acceleration (ironic, I used to love it when I was younger). Is this possible or does the performance automatically equal being noisy? Also trying to not annoy neighbors using autostart in the mornings haha
How much performance you want can dictate noise level. The Ford For instance, the Performance Flash gives you 45hp and 60tq without changing the exhaust at all.

OP
OP
MVRanger

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Ordered an AFE downpipe and a Roush CAI. Going to keep the factory exhaust for now.

I am going to have to be very patient, was told mid april before the downpipe even ships, not sure about CAI.

Very happy with my Livernois tune though!!

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Time to inject some humor into this pursuit of performance without dicibels:
Ordered a tuner from Livernois, went to load the 91-93 performance tune. Failed quite a few times trying to load it. Cant remember some of the error codes. Long story short, sitting in a freezing cab, it finally loaded. Happy with myself, I took it out for a spin. I should have filmed my ugly mug to show my disappointment. Truck didn't seem very different from normal. Came back home to sulk.

Fast forword an hour, back into a freezing cab (joys of winter), I thought that I would try to change to the tow tune. When I seen the selections it was highlighted on the 87 octane tune. I selected the 91-93 tune and low and behold I should have videoed my 'after'expression. Dayummm!!! What a difference!!
Figured this would give a few a late night chuckle seeing an old guy with limited electronic skills struggle and then suddenly see the light!! I failed with the low decibels because my uncomposed giggling was pretty loud
Make sure, when you flash a Livernois tune, to have ALL things unplugged. Your phone, anything in a 12V plug or accessory. Don't touch the brake, open the doors or anything until the tune is done loading. Make sure you always switch off the ignition for at least 3 seconds after the load.
I've had a load failure, but it was because I had the tablet for my gauges plugged into the 12v outlet.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it depends on flow, two 2.5" pipes might have better flow than a single 3". Personally I like dual outlets, I prefer the look.
Should be more flow and less back pressure...

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
Ordered an AFE downpipe and a Roush CAI. Going to keep the factory exhaust for now.

I am going to have to be very patient, was told mid april before the downpipe even ships, not sure about CAI.

Very happy with my Livernois tune though!!
Not sure why you would order a down pipe. That will be noisier than any exhaust system in the video. It does add HP, but if quiet is the main driver, it's counter productive IMO.
I have the Ford Tune and went with Magna Flow cat back. Just perfect.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So in order to get more power without much noise you will be limited. Obviously a tune from a good known reputable tuner lile Livernois. One other thing you can do is get a 4ft pipe and knock out the 1 inch restrictor. It will help the flow of the exhaust without increasing noise if any. I would say you gain a little power but not much and as for MPG it will go up a little due to les restriction on the turbocharger. After that perhaps change the air filter or put in a cold air intake. Your call what you do but that os my input

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger

But when the two 2.5" pipes would come from one (insert downpipe diameter here)... there is no benefit. Its always been my understanding that an exhaust system is only as good as its smallest piece so to speak.

I guess its benefit would be more grip in slippery conditions due to the increased weight.
Sponsored