Performance without decibels

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
I have a question with regards to a new exhaust system. I am interested in getting a downpipe and muffler system. I would like a duel rear exit for the sporty look.
My question: is it possible to get a nice performance upgrade without the additional noise usually associated with this change?

I do a lot of highway driving and have a lot of hearing loss from firearms. I am trying to get away from the continuous droning noise at speed and during acceleration (ironic, I used to love it when I was younger). Is this possible or does the performance automatically equal being noisy? Also trying to not annoy neighbors using autostart in the mornings haha
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Gibson!
Lots of flow and it quietly purrs.....I have the Black Elite Single Cat-Back but I'll bet the dual rear exit system they have will give you more power than mine and still be just right on the noise level. I bet you will find someone in here that has installed that system and can give you a better idea of sound. That being said...I think Gibson is known for more performance and less sound. IMHO

So I just installed this system and here is my take.....Almost the same sound level as stock except you don't have that 4 cyl sound when you accelerate. Also at low RPM it is very throaty and nice. No drone at highway speeds at all! I'm so happy I went with Gibson! I commute a long way on the interstate everyday and was worried about getting an exhaust system that would wear me out with that harmonic drone everyone talks about....none of that with Gibson.

Update: Since I installed the Livernois high performance tune my Gibson exhaust growls when I get on it.....I love this system.....my Ranger is such a sleeper on the street :clap:

Last edited:

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I have the Gibson exhaust and it's pretty quiet. You can't even hear it inside with windows. It's very quiet. I park right next to my living room window and can't hardly hear it on cold starts. There is a dual exit. They claim a 18-21hp gain.

The engine sound is louder than the exhaust when you get on it if that gives you an idea.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I have a question with regards to a new exhaust system. I am interested in getting a downpipe and muffler system. I would like a duel rear exit for the sporty look.
My question: is it possible to get a nice performance upgrade without the additional noise usually associated with this change?

I do a lot of highway driving and have a lot of hearing loss from firearms. I am trying to get away from the continuous droning noise at speed and during acceleration (ironic, I used to love it when I was younger). Is this possible or does the performance automatically equal being noisy? Also trying to not annoy neighbors using autostart in the mornings haha
They are all louder than stock.

I'd recommend that you just go to a custom exhaust shop and have them re-route the stock tailpipe(s) the way you want them.

There is currently no "true dual" exhaust systems, everything is fake duals. The performance gains of the aftermarket exhaust systems are minimal.

There was a time when stock exhaust systems were horrendously restrictive from the factory. Those days are gone.

This video includes: AWE,Borla,MBRP,Magnaflow,SPD,aFe,Dynomax,Flowmaster,Gibson

Last edited:

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR

Check out this video. With headphones if you have them.

OP
OP
MVRanger

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Wow!! Appreciate the feedback. I will have to look at a stainless system as well, Ontario is horrendous with salt. This exhaust will be coupled with a tune as well. One on order through Livernois (waiting patiently!!)

The highway drone always got me even when I was younger especially with the V8s. This is my first 4 cylinder so trying to play it smart. I will do some research with the info you
folks gave me, thanks again!!

Edit: how much difference with a downpipe upgrade?

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Wow!! Appreciate the feedback. I will have to look at a stainless system as well, Ontario is horrendous with salt. This exhaust will be coupled with a tune as well. One on order through Livernois (waiting patiently!!)

The highway drone always got me even when I was younger especially with the V8s. This is my first 4 cylinder so trying to play it smart. I will do some research with the info you
folks gave me, thanks again!!

Edit: how much difference with a downpipe upgrade?
Do some surfing on the various manufacturers websites. Many have dyno sheets that show before and after pulls.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Ford performance exhaust is what you want

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase

Hey, Mike, we are in the same boat, sort of. My hearing is still good, but I want to get a better-looking, performance-enhancing downpipe and muffler system that is either as quiet as stock or only slightly noisier. I want all the benefits of the upgraded system without the noise so that I can continue to enjoy my B&O music inside the cabin--without bothering the neighbors outside! Maybe this is too much to ask, but I look forward to hearing the responses to this thread. Be sure to let us know what you finally pick!

OP
OP
MVRanger

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Will do!! I have always had 6.2 liters or 5.7 liters and miss the rumble. I am trying to avoid sounding like the teens driving past my house all the time, but at the same time I want the power to pass long strings of transports that seem to bunch together on our highways.

Looking forward to this change! Wish I had the budget that a lot of you have haha!!

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

I'm with you, at nearly 52 I really dont want noise cancelling out my country music! I'm stone deaf in my left ear due to a few things. Was a USAF SP and spent some time in close proximity to flight line noise and a few brawls in my youth ; one of which with my then step father that caused my eardrum to be ruptured.
Anyways my first HEMI powered vehicle years go I had the resonators removed and my son who was about 3 at the time loved to ride in it b/c he'd say 'Make it roar like a lion dad!'...to which I'd gladly oblige.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Check out this video. With headphones if you have them.

I'd consider with black-out tips, I've got a magnetic metallic and dont want any chrome...

OP
OP
MVRanger

MVRanger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
Gotta love the good ol days!! Now it is non stop ringing and the 'what?' Getting tossed into all of my conversations.

I can't wait to make a decision and get all of this together for the new year!!
Sponsored