Outside Magazine Ranger Project

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
Heck yah, our very own featured! great write up. Makes me wanna go to pyramid lake and get on a ladder!

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
I just invested in a pair of Milwaukee Packout two-drawer boxes. Stacked vertically they just fit in my Subaru Outback and eliminate a couple bins. I store cooking gear, utensils, hygiene and random camp gadgets (lights/lanterns, mini pad inflator, etc).

I can also quickly pull those those out and store in the garage. Beats bins that are harder to separate items neatly. Each Packout drawer box weighs 20 pounds empty.

Whenever my Ranger gets built and delivered I’ll transfer this system to it for camping. This approach goes vertical rather than horizontal like a Decked product. Multi function too both in and out of a vehicle.

I wish the Packout products weren’t so expensive but these will likely serve me many years. Just another idea on the drawer storage theme.

ReigleCM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
NASA Geospatial Analyst
How do you like the Decked system with the GFC? Been debating on getting it but it's just so tall. Can you still stand in the GFC without hitting your head?

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
How do you like the Decked system with the GFC? Been debating on getting it but it's just so tall. Can you still stand in the GFC without hitting your head?
Plenty of room to stand, but climbing in and out through the bed has gotten harder due to the limited space. I added the ladder and GFC mounting claws to avoid that issue.

PXL_20220807_030559818~2.jpg

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
@Wes Siler I am trying to find, but don't see if it was only planned or actually happened... Did you end up with the 285/75r17 Toyos?
Yep, they went on last ~November. Been running them since with the exception of a few months on my Nokian winters. Currently the best A/T out there, and that size works perfectly with the BP-51 suspension. The correct size wheel spacers for the Ranger are 1.0 inches. No more, no less.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, they went on last ~November. Been running them since with the exception of a few months on my Nokian winters. Currently the best A/T out there, and that size works perfectly with the BP-51 suspension. The correct size wheel spacers for the Ranger are 1.0 inches. No more, no less.
Thanks! Spare fit in the spare location? I'm looking at a set of these. You said AT above, can you confirm which tire you got specifically... The Toyo AT or MT?

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Thanks! Spare fit in the spare location? I'm looking at a set of these. You said AT above, can you confirm which tire you got specifically... The Toyo AT or MT?
I have a tire carrier, so can't report on spare location fitment. I'd check elsewhere on forum. I have AT.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Well, after four months in the body shop after a 10mph colission, I'm finally making progress on this thing again.

Will get this phase of things wrapped up this week, then get nice photos and share details.

IMG_20200209_115016~2.jpg
very old post but wondering who made that front bumper its the first one ive seen on the ranger (besides arb) that i actually like

OP
OP
Wes Siler

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
very old post but wondering who made that front bumper its the first one ive seen on the ranger (besides arb) that i actually like
Relentless. They decided not to support the Ranger with a production run. Honestly, quality was pretty poor. Way, way better off with the ARB, which is actually crash tested, and has a finish that will survive multiple winters.
Sponsored