First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
So I have this weird observation. As I've mentioned I'm a first time truck owner. Having a new shiny Ranger I park in the back of parking lots well away from other cars. Plus I don't mind getting a little extra walking in. Over the last few months I have noticed something interesting. People driving other trucks just love parking right next to mine no matter how many spots are free on each side of my truck.

This came to mind again this morning. I went to the grocery store early this morning and parked in the back of the lot that was mostly empty. I was in the store maybe 5 minutes just to get some milk and cereal. I come out and there is a Ram 2500 parked right next to me even though there were still many empty spaces on each side.

As stated I've observed this many times to the point it seems not to be a coincidence. What's up with that? Is it some kind of weird kind of flex? Like, "Hey buddy check out my badass truck." I've owned many cars, not trucks, and also parked them well away from other cars in the back of the lot. But have rarely come back to see someone parked right next to me when there were several more spaces available.

Maybe it is a regional thing? Is it a truck thing, like trucks park right next to trucks no matter what? Or maybe it is my Ranger is so awesome it has some subconscious effect on other truck owners that draw them to my truck? :p Still when it happens I end up doing a walk around to see if they door dinged me.

Anyway, just a weird and kind of funny observation for a weekend conversation.
Big trucks are bitch to park, most owners stay far away because of that.
Sponsored

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
So I have this weird observation. As I've mentioned I'm a first time truck owner. Having a new shiny Ranger I park in the back of parking lots well away from other cars. Plus I don't mind getting a little extra walking in. Over the last few months I have noticed something interesting. People driving other trucks just love parking right next to mine no matter how many spots are free on each side of my truck.

This came to mind again this morning. I went to the grocery store early this morning and parked in the back of the lot that was mostly empty. I was in the store maybe 5 minutes just to get some milk and cereal. I come out and there is a Ram 2500 parked right next to me even though there were still many empty spaces on each side.

As stated I've observed this many times to the point it seems not to be a coincidence. What's up with that? Is it some kind of weird kind of flex? Like, "Hey buddy check out my badass truck." I've owned many cars, not trucks, and also parked them well away from other cars in the back of the lot. But have rarely come back to see someone parked right next to me when there were several more spaces available.

Maybe it is a regional thing? Is it a truck thing, like trucks park right next to trucks no matter what? Or maybe it is my Ranger is so awesome it has some subconscious effect on other truck owners that draw them to my truck? :p Still when it happens I end up doing a walk around to see if they door dinged me.

My "Lone Ranger" has the opposite effect with those with 20/20 eyesight :devil:
One_inch_out_1.JPG

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Its a cluster mentality. You could be the only vehicle in the entire lot and someone will park next to you. Its incredibly annoying.

Ive owned all different types of vehicles and it seems like: trucks park next my trucks and sports/muscle cars parked next to my mustang/hellcat, motorcycles next to my yamaha.
I have also owned junk and I mean complete garbage rust buckets. People don't seem to park next to those. ?

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
My dad had a F250 that he had a hard time parking in some lots, so he'd park way out and take up 2-4 spots. People would bitch at him for taking up extra spots, he would respond with 'well, that's why I parked way out, so it wouldn't be a problem for people'.

OP
OP
Augie81

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Big trucks are bitch to park, most owners stay far away because of that.
Understandable, but that doesn't explain why they park in the spot right next to me when there are several spots open on each side of my truck. :)

From reading over this thread I think what I have noticed is a mix. People parking near to compare, maybe some flex, and maybe just trucks parking next to trucks out of some sort of bond. Anyway it doesn't really bother me as long as they don't ding my truck. :)

Last edited:

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Understandable, but that doesn't explain why they park in the spot right next to me when there are several spots open on each side of my truck. :)

From reading over this thread I think what I have noticed is a mix. People parking near to compare, maybe some flex, and maybe just trucks parking next to trucks out of some sort of bond. Anyway it doesn't really bother me as long as they don't ding my truck. :)
I used to have a Monte Carlo, I spent two days waxing it by hand, and then parked wicked far out in the lot. Some guy kept parking next to me, one day he happened to pull in right as I did and remarked how smart it was to park out there and not get dings. I told him it didn't do me any good to park far out if he parked right next to me, and pointed out that there was dozens of other spots he could have taken. He didn't take it well.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
All I do is park mine in the parking lot' not near anyone else's truck, most look good, and one guy always says how I'm making his truck look bad,I'm not parked next to it right, he says no, then I jokingly ask in front of his co worker, "Is yours the GMC ? He says yeah, I said oh that was your first mistake, the other guy starts laughing

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Amen!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
this SUV waited for me to finish getting out of my truck so he can part right next to me.
20200924_143855.jpg
Probably checking you out in the side view mirror as you walked away...:cool:

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
this SUV waited for me to finish getting out of my truck so he can part right next to me.
20200924_143855.jpg
:crackup::LOL:??

I believe it. I used to get irritated at people like this, WTF could possibly be going through your head!!

Now I just chuckle to myself as I proceed to get back into my vehicle and move it one spot over....

gttafoya

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Electronics Technician

I believe it. I used to get irritated at people like this, WTF could possibly be going through your head!!

Now I just chuckle to myself as I proceed to get back into my vehicle and move it one spot over....
I should have moved it. And stare at him the entire time.

Swingpure

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I park far away from other vehicles. When I come out of the store or wherever, not only have I noticed other trucks parking near me, but trucks of a similar color. It has happened several times this week.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard

I thought it was just me attracting people to park next to me like that. I almost always park way out away from everyone and when I come out 99% of the time someone is parked next to me with plenty of other open spaces around. This would even happen when I had my Altima.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard

I did something like this one day. I parked with multiple open spots on each side of me, and when someone pulled in right next to me I moved further down as soon as they stopped.
Sponsored