Oil dilution issue making me cancel purchase..

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I drove the shit out of a Hyundai motor known for having issues until it finally gave up at nearly 7 years and 200k. Freaking low tension rings...... but because it gave up when it did I am in a Ranger instead of a Maverick. I would hope Ford can match Hyundia, with proper maintence. Most of the 2.0 direct injections that went before mine were not using a solid oil or changed when it should have been. Note: This wasn't the 2.4 the American plant screwed up when they skipped a step in casting and cost them a ton of engine rebuilds....

That said I just got a recall notice where they are reporogramming the knock sensors to pick up rod bearing failure and get it into limp home mode before the bearing gives up all the way and strands you on a highway somewhere...... .. .. ... ... .

Point: Treat it right and it should return the favor unless you get a bad roll of the dice. Just like any other car. Except Dodge; it will break in one way or another. You asked for that buying from them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
The one thing I DO want to do that I have procrastinated on is the oil catch cans. The other are more luxury but since I tow a lot in Vegas summer heat, I want to upgrade the intercooler and radiator then get the Ford Tune. What holds me back more than anything on the cooling upgrades would be a jerk Ford dealer declining a warranty repair over them.
If you can wait a bit you can have mine for free, once I find a few uninterrupted days in a row to remove it and return the PCV to stock.

But a better option, if you absolutely must have one, would be to get something with steel lines, the rubber hoses on mine didn't last a year. It does catch about a can full of crud per tank of fuel in the winter months, naturally when it's a hassle to empty it out, and not much in summer.

Install was a giant PITA, I suspect removal will be a similar ordeal, and I will not go through it again. Plus I keep on top of the maintenance so I am less concerned than I was as a rookie to this truck and engine.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Good to know. But, how else would you like me to research? What should I do? You have ruled out checking the enthusiasts forums and seeing what actual owners think. Ok, so what does that leave me? Should I pull over Ranger owners on the road? Should I follow them into Walmart and ask about their trucks?
It seems to me checking with owners online is a key step in seeing if there are any issues that could be concerning when buying a $40k product. How unbelievably stupid of me to check online before making a large investment.

It seemed that way, I know. I had a super busy day at work yesterday and today is shaping up to be the same. If you're interested, you guys (and the videos) have changed my mind. Turns out gathering information, aka research... is a good thing.
I would recommend reading Consumer Reports review/rating/reliability on the Ranger. I mention this for two reasons. First, they recommend the Ranger and give it a good rating. Second, I know this is will trigger Floyd (@Floyd) and that is immensely fun! ?

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to plunk down the down-payment and go ahead and buy my silver '22 Xlt Ranger but after coming across all the oil dilution issues (reading through the threads) I'm afraid I'll have to cross this otherwise great truck off my shopping list. I want something that has some longevity to it; something that I can trust to get me to 150k+. Is this decision just? Are these engines wearing out before 100k due to insufficient lubrication?

Problem is I don't like any other options. I hate the Tacoma, Frontier is too small and doesn't look good, and the Chevy has rock hard seats and no tech. Frustrated. Maybe the '23 ('24?) model will not have this issue?

Thoughts? Am I nuts? lol
ive heard of this issue but it doesnt concern me since i use to have a 2019 civic si and it had the same problem but i never had a single issue and nobody i knew that had well over 100k miles had an issues either. so im still waiting for my truck to come in excitedly! ive driven all the midsize trucks on the market and the two i liked the most is current tacoma with a 6speed and the ranger but went with the ranger because of its potential

the 3rd gen tacoma has run its course and it needs replaced...

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to plunk down the down-payment and go ahead and buy my silver '22 Xlt Ranger but after coming across all the oil dilution issues (reading through the threads) I'm afraid I'll have to cross this otherwise great truck off my shopping list. I want something that has some longevity to it; something that I can trust to get me to 150k+. Is this decision just? Are these engines wearing out before 100k due to insufficient lubrication?

Problem is I don't like any other options. I hate the Tacoma, Frontier is too small and doesn't look good, and the Chevy has rock hard seats and no tech. Frustrated. Maybe the '23 ('24?) model will not have this issue?

Thoughts? Am I nuts? lol
You're seeing things magnified. Those with dilution "issues" here are a very small percentage of this forum. And the issues haven't been proven to be issues yet. Similar conversations can been found about this topic and this engine on Mustang and Focus forums and there's been little to suggest it's impacted longevity of the engine. If it worries you, you can always been an extended warranty from @Zach@granger and then you're covered.

NoTacos

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RangerXLT CrewCab 4x4
Doing your research on this forum is dangerous and full of pitfalls. I damn well went and bought a tailgate damper knowning I was buying the truck. Why?because of this forum (never mind the thread for owners without TG dampers. They are just plainly crazy and will be assimilated in short order).
But I get it. Next to a residence your biggest purchase is usually a vehicle. You have to be comfortable with your decision - not the rest of us. If you have to walk away walk away. But we don’t need to know the reasons why - we are all on here cause we bought a Ranger or waiting for a ranger (feel for the folks on that thread)and know what issues maybe lurking or not. But we all love our Rangers - well except the folks who sold theirs. So the reasons why you don’t want one is something you need to take up with Ford and tell them why you wouldn’t buy it. Rest of of can’t change those issues that are stopping you from buying one. Nor are we going to convince you. But I can’t think of any production run cars where there wasn’t at least a percentage that wasn’t afflicted with something. So I wish you good luck finding that magic vehicle - it’s probably parked beside the unicorn at Home Depot.
Having said that. I love my 2021 Ranger despite the deleted items, maybe gas in the oil and sometimes possibly a occasional thump due to the slip joint or lack of a light in my glove box. 23k km and haven’t been concerned about a thing.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I would recommend reading Consumer Reports review/rating/reliability on the Ranger. I mention this for two reasons. First, they recommend the Ranger and give it a good rating. Second, I know this is will trigger Floyd (@Floyd) and that is immensely fun! ?
? consider me triggered....??

Zach@granger

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Occupation
Ford Dealer
You're seeing things magnified. Those with dilution "issues" here are a very small percentage of this forum. And the issues haven't been proven to be issues yet. Similar conversations can been found about this topic and this engine on Mustang and Focus forums and there's been little to suggest it's impacted longevity of the engine. If it worries you, you can always been an extended warranty from @Zach@granger and then you're covered.
I appreciate the mention. It's cheap insurance.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Good to know. But, how else would you like me to research? What should I do? You have ruled out checking the enthusiasts forums and seeing what actual owners think. Ok, so what does that leave me? Should I pull over Ranger owners on the road? Should I follow them into Walmart and ask about their trucks?
It seems to me checking with owners online is a key step in seeing if there are any issues that could be concerning when buying a $40k product. How unbelievably stupid of me to check online before making a large investment.

It seemed that way, I know. I had a super busy day at work yesterday and today is shaping up to be the same. If you're interested, you guys (and the videos) have changed my mind. Turns out gathering information, aka research... is a good thing.
True, there are people who complain about fuel dilution and there are others, like me and a retired Ford engineer here, who say that as long as you change the oil at least when recommended (or sooner) that it doesn't hurt anything.
Again, I've never seen my oil level go up and I've never smelled gas in the oil but like I said, I don't do short trips. If you quiz people you seem to find the folks with that issue tend to be the ones who don't put on a lot miles. My work commute is 20 miles each way plus I have to run around a fair bit for work (company pays me mileage).
Use synthetic oil. Change it every 5000 miles. Ba-da-bing.

Last edited:

Utope

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cactus Grey XLT SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you can wait a bit you can have mine for free, once I find a few uninterrupted days in a row to remove it and return the PCV to stock.

But a better option, if you absolutely must have one, would be to get something with steel lines, the rubber hoses on mine didn't last a year. It does catch about a can full of crud per tank of fuel in the winter months, naturally when it's a hassle to empty it out, and not much in summer.

Install was a giant PITA, I suspect removal will be a similar ordeal, and I will not go through it again. Plus I keep on top of the maintenance so I am less concerned than I was as a rookie to this truck and engine.
I went through this and tore my hands up worse than the installation.

FWIW, I'm a little over 8k miles on the truck. I changed oil at 1400 and 5000. Next change will be 10k and every 5k after that. I have no gas smell on my dip stick or in the oil I've drained. I have not noticed any rise in oil level on the dipstick. I'm rarely making short trips and it's about 30 minutes to work so I'm getting up to temperature often.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
These trucks are fine, don't worry, if you like it, get one.
Be religious with maintenance, that's the key.

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Just an update today in case people didn't see my update yesterday, it seems this isn't a big deal and may be just part of owning a direct injection engine which I've never had before. So, its fine. Still shopping for one if I can only find a decent deal. I am pretty religious with maintenance and would never go more than 5k mi for my oil changes. Being a turbo and all, might even lower it to 4500.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Four thousand for me!
Sponsored