Oil dilution issue making me cancel purchase..

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
I was about to plunk down the down-payment and go ahead and buy my silver '22 Xlt Ranger but after coming across all the oil dilution issues (reading through the threads) I'm afraid I'll have to cross this otherwise great truck off my shopping list. I want something that has some longevity to it; something that I can trust to get me to 150k+. Is this decision just? Are these engines wearing out before 100k due to insufficient lubrication?

Problem is I don't like any other options. I hate the Tacoma, Frontier is too small and doesn't look good, and the Chevy has rock hard seats and no tech. Frustrated. Maybe the '23 ('24?) model will not have this issue?

Thoughts? Am I nuts? lol
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I was hesitant when I got mine back in 2020 for the same thing. I’m glad I went through with it and got one anyways. I have yet to hear out of the 100’s of thousands of these on the road that this is causing engines to implode. Even on this forum a small portion of all owners that are modders or tinkerers having catastrophic issues.

I know there are some high mileage ones on here and even they are not reporting issues or failures.

Think it’s pretty safe to say if you got one you could get a 150K+ out of with scheduled maintenance

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Sid @Msfitoy has 90K on his with zero issues and IIRC there's another member who's over 100K with zero too. Is this a problem for some, yes but it's not consistent with all of them. Remember this motor is in the Mustang and I think a few other vehicles so by now you'd have heard of several blowing up. For piece of mind you could get an extended warranty before your 3/36,00 is up.

OP
OP

Justin says...

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XLT Lux
Occupation
IT System Analyst II
Sid @Msfitoy has 90K on his with zero issues and IIRC there's another member who's over 100K with zero too. Is this a problem for some, yes but it's not consistent with all of them. Remember this motor is in the Mustang and I think a few other vehicles so by now you'd have heard of several blowing up. For piece of mind you could get an extended warranty before your 3/36,00 is up.
Yes this is a good point. Could always do the whole extended warranty thing. I was actually only thinking of keeping my {yet to be bought} '22 until the 23 model came out. So of course I wouldn't have but maybe 20k miles on it anyway by then.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Yes this is a good point. Could always do the whole extended warranty thing. I was actually only thinking of keeping my {yet to be bought} '22 until the 23 model came out. So of course I wouldn't have but maybe 20k miles on it anyway by then.
Then you should be good but just keep one thing in mind. With all these shortages and delays even if you order on the first day it could still take a while to get one especially being a new redesign. Plus I would feel better about getting the second year of a new redesign.

There are a few dealers who sell the extended warranties online for just over cost. I just bought my extended warranty from Flood Ford online so at least you have options in case there are problems (like the Bronco) with the next Gen Ranger.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Did YOU just say that ? You have rubbed in your precious 1st year 2019 and all the extras like its freaking sports cream ...
But it wasn't a new redesign it was still being made around the world. Plus the drivetrain was proven in many different vehicles. Sounds like your bitter your didn't get a 2019 with all the goodies? :shock:

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
If you're worried about fuel in oil, change it every 5k not 10k miles.

I have 1,300 miles on my 22, the oil smells weird but the level has not increased at all so I do wonder how many people are mistaking the smell of oil for fuel diluted oil.

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
So, Fuel in the Oil. That seems to be a more Direct Injection commonplace issue (i.e not specific to the Ranger).

The 6.4 Powerstroke was NOTORIOUS for making its own oil (fuel in oil). I am pretty sure the 6.7 Powerstroke is doing it as well. My Audi, oil always had a strong fuel smell to it. I am pretty sure the DI motors from Hyundai and Kia are having this issue as well. It's commonplace.

Manufacturers are recommending 10K oil change intervals when using a high quality synthetic. Do I find that a little ludicrous? Yes, yes I do, and I prefer to halve that. Did I do that on the Audi because of fuel in the oil? No. I halved my oil change interval because I knew coming from the Subaru world that turbos could be hard on oil, and I also noticed how much smoother and quieter my EA888 ran when it had fresh, clean oil in it. Lack of fuel smell in fresh oil was just a byproduct

Fuel in the oil isn't a super big issue unless your dipstick is rising consistently. As long as you are mindful of the oil, then there isn't an issue. I understand being concerned, I really do, since some of us who bought brand new units have dropped 40gs on them or more. I also think you are crossing off what is otherwise a fantastic small truck for an issue that seems to be rather rare, and an issue we are pretty sure Ford is aware of and probably has some documented fixes for.

If you are super concerned, buy the Ford Extended Warranty. Flood Ford is pretty active on this site, and they sell the Ford ESP for cheaper than most dealers if I recall correctly. Here's the info if you want to consider it: https://www.floodfordesp.com/index.php