First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
My Ford Pass app has lowered my oil change interval to about 5600 miles since my job is now only 5 miles away vs 16 miles away since we moved. No more freeway driving just back roads with stop and go. It was at about 9k. I have to agree with it. I’m a believer now and never thought I would be. It follows what the usage rate says in the manual.. Bummer more money but maybe not..
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It's not Ford Pass making the change. It's your Trucks Computer doing a calculation of the different driving conditions you are putting it through and going from there. That said you can look in the menus on the dash and see the miles until the next recommend service. Also I found it easy to just service the truck every 5,000 miles.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I go by the oil life percentage in the trucks computer. That puts me around 7,000 to 8,000 miles between oil changes. The difference is determined on how I drive, what speeds, and if I am pulling a trailer a lot.

When I asked the service techs at my dealer, they said to go by the oil life percentage or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Short trip as such could lead to fuel in oil issues, which probably why the intervals were decreased.

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
Definitely cool that it adjusts to the way the truck is driven.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I'd think Ford would be measuring oil quality via an actual sensor by now.
Mercedes has put a sensor in the oil pan for years now that passes a small electrical current across two electrodes and measures the quality of the oil passing between them.

You could use one of my coworkers methods however. He says why change oil if you're going to trade it in anyway. It's just a waste of money. ?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I'd think Ford would be measuring oil quality via an actual sensor by now.
Mercedes has put a sensor in the oil pan for years now that passes a small electrical current across two electrodes and measures the quality of the oil passing between them.
probably because they can get decent results without adding another sensor (that can break)

FusedLogic

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX4 Splash
Occupation
Retired - Air Cargo Industry
I just crossed 1 year as a Ranger owner and the truck said it was time for an oil change. I took it in a couple of weeks ago with a bit over 2,900 miles on the clock. The algorithm must have a 1 year trigger if the miles are really low.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
I just crossed 1 year as a Ranger owner and the truck said it was time for an oil change. I took it in a couple of weeks ago with a bit over 2,900 miles on the clock. The algorithm must have a 1 year trigger if the miles are really low.
Exactly right....

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The general rule of mileage isn't high then change the engine oil every year. Can't say how long that is truly followed.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I tend to think so too. I only put about 4,500 miles on a year. I just had the truck in for oil change and yearly state inspection mid-March. My Oil Life status on the FordPass app now says oil life remaining 92%, estimated distance 4,000 miles, estimated service date 02/2024.

My trips with it are short... just to and from work 5 days a week, about 10 miles each way. I use the Mountaineer for everything else.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I am showing around 50% when I change at 5k, but my drive to work is a decent highway run 5 days a week. I change it early because of the occasional asshattery and the tune. Seems like cheap insurance to keep clean oil in it.

The wife's van... that is a yearly change. It has yet to hit the 5k mark before a year is over.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
probably because they can get decent results without adding another sensor (that can break)
If the Ranger ends up being as dependable as the last couple of MB the wife has had I'll be thrilled . I think it's more the bean counters at Ford axed it before they could even implement the idea,lol.
An actual sensor or an algorithm guessing at the actual quality....hmm. I'll go with the sensor. Never had one to fail.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If the Ranger ends up being as dependable as the last couple of MB the wife has had I'll be thrilled . I think it's more the bean counters at Ford axed it before they could even implement the idea,lol.
An actual sensor or an algorithm guessing at the actual quality....hmm. I'll go with the sensor. Never had one to fail.
well, in my experience they like to have a lot of nifty sensors and gizmos, and when they break (and they do, like anything) they're an expensive pain in the butt to deal with
Sponsored