Off-Road Telluride

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Those are fun looking. After being in a few kia and Hyundai rental cars though, no way in hell I would buy either.
That's funny. I just traded my 2019 Kia Forte and I loved that car. I just wanted a truck instead of a car. I would rock the crap out of the Telluride, though I don't think it would actually be a good platform for what I would like to do. My Forte was comfortable and the fit/finish was excellent.

mdsander

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCREW
Occupation
Engineer
Wife has had two sorentos...never had an issue ever. Can't say the same for my brand new 2020 lariat....if I based my purchasing decisions on rental vehicles I wouldn't have a ranger either. Honestly Kia isn't in the number one suv spot for the telluride by accident. They learn from other manufacturers mistakes and improve every year.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Whenever I see them around they always catch my eye. Personally, if I wanted an offroad SUV id go with the new Bronco but two totally differant things...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That's funny. I just traded my 2019 Kia Forte and I loved that car. I just wanted a truck instead of a car. I would rock the crap out of the Telluride, though I don't think it would actually be a good platform for what I would like to do. My Forte was comfortable and the fit/finish was excellent.
oh yeah with torque vectoring and locking center differential who needs a Jeep, 4wd pickup, Bronco and so on. And that Palisade, cruising through cow pastures like there is no tomorrow. I have a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe and it's no more than ok (wife's vehicle), at least the engine hasn't seized (yet) like hundreds of thousands of Hyundai engines have . And the Ranger gets better mpgs, has a much better stereo and just drives nicer. Yes Hyundai/KIA keep improving but can't say I'll be buying another one. Poor resale value and there is a reason for that.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whenever I see them around they always catch my eye. Personally, if I wanted an offroad SUV id go with the new Bronco but two totally differant things...
Hyundai/KIA use an abs activated awd system with a clutch pack in the rear diff , the "center locking diff" is nothing more than keeping the clutch pack engaged. It performs well but it's not really meant for heavy off road use, some other makes with this type of AWD system can operate in lock mode and do brake based torque vectoring - but Hyundai/KIA tries to project like it;s unique to them. If you take a gander at their rear axles - they are pretty thin and they have occasionally snapped from the brake torque vectoring or the rear diff giving it up.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
oh yeah with torque vectoring and locking center differential who needs a Jeep, 4wd pickup, Bronco and so on. And that Palisade, cruising through cow pastures like there is no tomorrow. I have a 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe and it's no more than ok (wife's vehicle), at least the engine hasn't seized (yet) like hundreds of thousands of Hyundai engines have . And the Ranger gets better mpgs, has a much better stereo and just drives nicer. Yes Hyundai/KIA keep improving but can't say I'll be buying another one. Poor resale value and there is a reason for that.

I got $1500 over NADA when I traded on the Ranger, and more than I expected for trade. I'm not saying the Hyundai/Kia would be better than the Ranger, just saying I liked mine.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I drove an '87 Hyundai Excel for a bit in high-school. Biggest piece of shit I've ever been around.

I know it was their first foray into the US market but first impressions mean a lot. I will never own another Korean automobile in my life. I literally feel bad for the poor folks that have to drive these things.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove an '87 Hyundai Excel for a bit in high-school. Biggest piece of shit I've ever been around.

I know it was their first foray into the US market but first impressions mean a lot. I will never own another Korean automobile in my life. I literally feel bad for the poor folks that have to drive these things.
understand but they have improved and vastly since then, they offer a lot of features for a lower price point than competitors which drives a lot of sales. I bought our daughter a 2007 Elantra while she was in HS, she's handicapped and drives very conservatively, sold it in 2017 but I had to do a lot of work on stuff like tie rods, sway bar links, control arms - driven only in Colorado , this stuff just shouldn't have been worn out at 89k miles.

Now I like to tell the story when I lived in C springs and would drive up the pass on 24 to go skiing, would sometimes go with a buddy , I had my 1986 Saab turbo, he picked up Hyundai Sonata, we t both drove one day, he bragged about his V6 Hyundai, well he tried to keep up with me but I quickly put distance between us on the steep incline and he was maybe 1/4 mile back when I saw copious amounts of smoke billowing from his car - that sorry piece of crap had a blown engine - not unusual for Hyundai's in that era, so much for his prized hyundai.

I still occasionally see some of those older excels - they look woefully cheap but some people still drive them.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
understand but they have improved and vastly since then, they offer a lot of features for a lower price point than competitors which drives a lot of sales. I bought our daughter a 2007 Elantra while she was in HS, she's handicapped and drives very conservatively, sold it in 2017 but I had to do a lot of work on stuff like tie rods, sway bar links, control arms - driven only in Colorado , this stuff just shouldn't have been worn out at 89k miles.

Now I like to tell the story when I lived in C springs and would drive up the pass on 24 to go skiing, would sometimes go with a buddy , I had my 1986 Saab turbo, he picked up Hyundai Sonata, we t both drove one day, he bragged about his V6 Hyundai, well he tried to keep up with me but I quickly put distance between us on the steep incline and he was maybe 1/4 mile back when I saw copious amounts of smoke billowing from his car - that sorry piece of crap had a blown engine - not unusual for Hyundai's in that era, so much for his prized hyundai.

I still occasionally see some of those older excels - they look woefully cheap but some people still drive them.
I keep hearing they've improved. And then hear stories like these.

Woeful is the proper term I think.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I had my 1986 Saab turbo

I had a 1983 Saab 900 Turbo. That car was ridiculously stupid and fun to drive. The first owner (I was the 3rd) installed an aftermarket cruise control. Later I found out that if you set the cruise, but had to accelerate, when you pushed on the gas pedal, the chain would loop around the lever (that controlled the throttle body) and leave the car at wide open throttle. Scared the ever loving crap out of me. Pulled up to a stoplight one day and a huge cloud of smoke billowed out the hood. I bought a new car the next morning. Dealer wouldn't give me $1 on trade. Took it to the junk yard where they just drove the forks through the side. Fitting end for that car.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As stated in another thread. Just traded our 17 Kia Sportage with 83500 miles trouble free. Kia did not want to deal but Honda sure did, got a 21 CR V. A lot better car (in my opinion) for less money than a new Kia. Dealer throws in 10 yr 200,000 mile power train warranty on every vehicle they sell at all of there dealer ships. Kia did perform an ECU update to help prevent engine damage,( which they offered a lifetime long block replacement) that we were going to ride out till end of 100,000 mile warranty, but the Honda deal was to good to pass up. Just got a recall notice from Kia on engine fire ,so if it goes up in smoke now its on the dealers lot. :like:

DSCN8552.JPG

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a 1983 Saab 900 Turbo. That car was ridiculously stupid and fun to drive. The first owner (I was the 3rd) installed an aftermarket cruise control. Later I found out that if you set the cruise, but had to accelerate, when you pushed on the gas pedal, the chain would loop around the lever (that controlled the throttle body) and leave the car at wide open throttle. Scared the ever loving crap out of me. Pulled up to a stoplight one day and a huge cloud of smoke billowed out the hood. I bought a new car the next morning. Dealer wouldn't give me $1 on trade. Took it to the junk yard where they just drove the forks through the side. Fitting end for that car.
Those 900 were strange cars - longititude mounted engine with clutch in front and the accesories and belts up against the firewall. Were known for one of the bearings in the drive train wearing out.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Those 900 were strange cars - longititude mounted engine with clutch in front and the accesories and belts up against the firewall. Were known for one of the bearings in the drive train wearing out.
How about the old Saab 93? 3 cylinder two stroke motor...strange styling.... Had a passel of them in the early days of the Press On Regardless performance rally. Absolutely awful sound from the straight pipe exhaust...

saab.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored